Thinkpad value depreciation

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same I listed by T490 bought for 2.2k @ 1.5k with 2 years+ warranty left to spare.. No offer. Then another guy offered 1k..rather not sell. Can always keep as a spare.
Keeping as spare if you are willing to let is depreciates further.
I agree with csc3. You should consider why you are looking to sell it. If its because you are planning to get another laptop/ computer, then it may become a waste if you are unable to repurpose it meaningfully. It is still worth 1K after all, so better to sell than to keep. If you tend to upgrade often, you may end up with too many systems at some point.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yikes no. :(
It was quite quickly sold.

I got my X395 previously at $700 though :s13: Ryzen 7, 16gb, 512gb, touch screen
Ah, so you're the one that bought that listing! :s13: I didn't get it, so I ended up ordering my T14s.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
:s13: when did you see that listing.
IIRC it was around Aug - Sep last year
Around Sep I think. Was about then when I was considering a return to Lenovo. Procrastinated and missed out.

There were 3 T495s in total. One $900 one, and another $850 that eventually went down to $700, after I committed to the T14s,

Then my friend pulls this X1Y3 stunt on me. :s13:

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Around Sep I think. Was about then when I was considering a return to Lenovo. Procrastinated and missed out.

There were 3 T495s in total. One $900 one, and another $850 that eventually went down to $700, after I committed to the T14s,

Then my friend pulls this X1Y3 stunt on me. :s13:
Yes around that time :s13:
It was a saturday / sunday.

No regrets going to a Thinkpad. (I came from a line of Elitebooks and Zbooks).

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes around that time :s13:
It was a saturday / sunday.

No regrets going to a Thinkpad. (I came from a line of Elitebooks and Zbooks).
i previously used a dell inspirion yoga equivalent at one of finance mnc, its a 8265u, its sometimes can get stucked at 0.80ghz perpetually, its frustrates the hell out of me and IT wasnt able and willingly to resolve my problem, they said they couldnt not do anything about it. I just have to sucked it up... lol... i am just a lowly support contract staff, dont understand why a commercial business laptop can have such an issue and that, issue reported to IT but they not interested to resolve or contact the vendor to look into it. i guess its an extremely rare problem.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
i previously used a dell inspirion yoga equivalent at one of finance mnc, its a 8265u, its sometimes can get stucked at 0.80ghz perpetually, its frustrates the hell out of me and IT wasnt able and willingly to resolve my problem, they said they couldnt not do anything about it. I just have to sucked it up... lol... i am just a lowly support contract staff, dont understand why a commercial business laptop can have such an issue and that, issue reported to IT but they not interested to resolve or contact the vendor to look into it. i guess its an extremely rare problem.
That must have been a very bad experience for you. Not too sure what the issue might have been — I speculate that it might be perhaps some sort of software image problem.
All in all business laptops are fairly durable and reliable.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
laptop especially i7 are overpriced and overall shitty performance. u don't get most of the value out of it unlike Ryzen CPU.

Only the Thinkpad X or T series are the only worthwhile laptops that can maintain their value pretty well..

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That must have been a very bad experience for you. Not too sure what the issue might have been — I speculate that it might be perhaps some sort of software image problem.
All in all business laptops are fairly durable and reliable.
Yup, i think its very very rare, and sporadic. 0.80ghz cant properly run ms outlook, then when u add in those displaylink adapters outputting to 2 monitors, running those cpu intensive softwares, you just cant do your job properly. Was glad it wasnt a long ordeal. i managed to get a BCP laptop so it helps even thou its outdated 5-6 years old....

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
laptop especially i7 are overpriced and overall shitty performance. u don't get most of the value out of it unlike Ryzen CPU.

Only the Thinkpad X or T series are the only worthwhile laptops that can maintain their value pretty well..
i think any macs or apples maintains value better.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, i think its very very rare, and sporadic. 0.80ghz cant properly run ms outlook, then when u add in those displaylink adapters outputting to 2 monitors, running those cpu intensive softwares, you just cant do your job properly. Was glad it wasnt a long ordeal. i managed to get a BCP laptop so it helps even thou its outdated 5-6 years old....
Ah at least you managed to loan a BCP laptop.

And yes, macbooks maintains its value very very very well.
A 2015 macbook pro is still right about 600 - 700

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Solution is to use throttlestop

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i7 and i9 laptops are not worth. The higher end the mobile processor, the worst its value because its basically thermally constrained and while one paid more of the higher end processor, they cannot realise the extra performance.

As for value holding up, I think it really depends. Some people like the high end ThinkPads and are willing to buy second hand as long as it does not cost a bomb. But technology moves very quickly, so any top end laptop will lose its value fairly quickly in my opinion. Which is why I usually don't go for the very high end because for example, while you lose 30% of its value, and the laptop cost 3K, that's a lost of 1K. While even if a cheaper laptop that cost 1.2K loses 50% of its value, that is still 600 bucks.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think any macs or apples maintains value better.
I think there is a higher demand for it, i.e. there are people that don't want/ can't afford to buy a new Mac, so they go to the second hand market to get one. Some get it to use for hobby/ work, while others buy it because of the brand. The other reason is because it cost a lot more upfront, so therefore, it seems like you still retain a lot more value.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.