TODS Loafers

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
Quite nicely made.

I have 2 pairs (penny loafers with leather soles) that are still in service after 10 years.
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
Yes, I do take care of my shoes. 1 pair is black suede and the other is oxblood calf.

They've been topy'd since day one. I brush them down after every wear and condition the calf leather pair once in a while. The suede pair has water resistant protector applied every half year or so. They are on their 3rd set of topys.

Admittedly, the soles of the oxblood pair is in much worse shape than the black suede pair, but they're still wearable.

I wore them very often the first 5 years. Nowadays, it's down to once a week for the black suede pair and once in 2 weeks for the calf pair.




 
Last edited:

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Yes, I do take care of my shoes. 1 pair is black suede and the other is oxblood calf.

They've been topy'd since day one. I brush them down after every wear and condition the calf leather pair once in a while. The suede pair has water resistant protector applied every half year or so. They are on their 3rd set of topys.

Admittedly, the soles of the oxblood pair is in much worse shape than the black suede pair, but they're still wearable.

I wore them very often the first 5 years. Nowadays, it's down to once a week for the black suede pair and once in 2 weeks for the calf pair.





U've got a large collection of what appears to be mostly brown shoes!
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
U've got a large collection of what appears to be mostly brown shoes!
Haha, yes. There's another 2 shelves of shoes, and mostly brown too.

I was quite adventurous before but my wife can't stand me wearing colourful shoes (light blue & red) so I had them re-patina'd to brown.

So, it's mostly many shades of brown (calf & suede), and a few navy's, a few shades of green and grey suede.
 

Bobbyss

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2012
Messages
572
Reaction score
1
where you get your shoe trees from bro?

you got so many of them. did they cost you a bomb :s11:
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
where you get your shoe trees from bro?

you got so many of them. did they cost you a bomb :s11:
From forums like this one.

I always wait for someone to let go theirs and buy them at pretty cheap prices. Never more than $30 a pair used or new. But even then, they do still add up for all the shoes.
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
Haha, yes. There's another 2 shelves of shoes, and mostly brown too.

I was quite adventurous before but my wife can't stand me wearing colourful shoes (light blue & red) so I had them re-patina'd to brown.

So, it's mostly many shades of brown (calf & suede), and a few navy's, a few shades of green and grey suede.

Wow. Any fave brands or models amongst ur collection?
 

magnitude

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
5,915
Reaction score
29
where you get your shoe trees from bro?

you got so many of them. did they cost you a bomb :s11:

You can get it from amazon with free shipping if above 125US.

Amazon.com: Shoe trees
ir
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
Wow. Any fave brands or models amongst ur collection?
I'm not a wealthy person by any means, so I don't have any really high end shoes.

That said, in my collection, my favorites are English shoes: Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Peal & Co, John Lobb.

I also enjoy shoes from Tods, Bruno Magli and Grenson.

In terms of value for money, our home grown brand Ed Et Al is pretty darn good. Especially their newer collections are vastly improved from the first ones. I reckon if they improve on the shape of their lasts while maintaining the same price, they'd get a lot more business. I do have quite a few pairs from them.
 

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
14,850
Reaction score
1,560
I'm not a wealthy person by any means, so I don't have any really high end shoes.

That said, in my collection, my favorites are English shoes: Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Peal & Co, John Lobb.

I also enjoy shoes from Tods, Bruno Magli and Grenson.

In terms of value for money, our home grown brand Ed Et Al is pretty darn good. Especially their newer collections are vastly improved from the first ones. I reckon if they improve on the shape of their lasts while maintaining the same price, they'd get a lot more business. I do have quite a few pairs from them.

You set a vv high benchmark of what u consider high end shoes and i suspect on being wealthy too. Hehe

Anyway back to shoes. With your collection, how much time do u spend on polishing man? Btw u mentioned u had ur shoes re-patina-ed. Where to get that done in sg and at what damage? Any sample pic of how that turns out?
 

chickenbackside

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
0
You set a vv high benchmark of what u consider high end shoes and i suspect on being wealthy too. Hehe

Anyway back to shoes. With your collection, how much time do u spend on polishing man? Btw u mentioned u had ur shoes re-patina-ed. Where to get that done in sg and at what damage? Any sample pic of how that turns out?
The 2 pairs I got re-patina'd are from Ed Et Al. So I sent them back to him for the job. He didn't charge me for it.

Nothing to see really. One was turquoise and the other was red. And they became brown. The turquoise pair turned out to be a lighter shade brown than the red pair.

Polishing wise, it's not too bad. I have many pairs that I rotate, and I tend not to abuse them, so a polish can last a few months with a quick wipe down before every wear. So I'd say on average, I polish a pair or 2 each week.
 
Last edited:

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
7,218
Reaction score
2,224
The 2 pairs I got re-patina'd are from Ed Et Al. So I sent them back to him for the job. He didn't charge me for it.

Nothing to see really. One was turquoise and the other was red. And they became brown. The turquoise pair turned out to be a lighter shade brown than the red pair.

Polishing wise, it's not too bad. I have many pairs that I rotate, and I tend not to abuse them, so a polish can last a few months with a quick wipe down before every wear. So I'd say on average, I polish a pair or 2 each week.

Re patina what shoes, rtw or mto shoes?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top