Tokyo with 2 young children

aeng

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,512
Reaction score
44
Hi all,

I've been to Tokyo a couple of times already but now I am going with my wife n 2 young sons.

Can anyone recommend accomodation for the 4 of us for about a week?

preferably near to a metro station.
I've gone thru the Citadines website but it doesn't tell me much about rooms for the whole family.

Also looked at the Weekly Mansion Akasaka but seems like it's maybe not so nice and may be full of noisy Uni students.


Also, can anyone tell me more about the Ultraman Festival?
Anyone who's attended previous Ulfes?

I've read that it's at a different venue this year, somewhere in Yokohama.

I'm bringing my sons there in Aug.
 

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2007
Messages
98,725
Reaction score
2,502
Not sure what is your budget, but there are very good serviced apartments around, eg oakwood apartments(all over), apartment33 (shinagawa stn).
 

Telur17

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
31,933
Reaction score
0
Maybe you can try House Ikebukuro? The location is quite convenient and the lodgings are clean. They also provide hot water, tea and coffee. When I was there in Apr, there was a couple with an older lady and a toddler sharing one of the bigger rooms.
 

aeng

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,512
Reaction score
44
Hi,

air tickets for the whole family is expensive so I'd like to minimise hotel costs if possible.
hoping to stay for 5-7 nights and spend about abt $250 per night.

that's why i'm looking at renting an apartment for 5-7 days.
should be cheaper than real hotels.

the weekly mansions seem to have the larger apartments that can fit the whole family for less than 20000 yen per night.

anyone knows of any other comparable accomodation?
 

bryando

Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
457
Reaction score
2
I always use Sunshine City Prince, also in Ikebukuro. Room for 2 adult is abt $160 per nite. Very convenient, near train station, lots of eating places, shopping centre linked underpass next building, there's even Toys'R'us there, have english speaking staffs......

Also eyeing to be there in end July early Aug.......as for the Ultraman festival, you can get details at the shopping centre next door (Sunshine shopping centre). But unless you can understand Japanese, if not its tough to get there, also everything there will be in Japanese, and so are the announcements, so if you dont understand Jap its a bit tough.

Also contrary to thoughts toy festivals there are more catered to adults n collectors rather than kids......
 

VD

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,240
Reaction score
2
actually Sunshine city isn't that near to the station, it is approx 10-15mins walk. Not convenient when you have kids and luggage to lug
 

eleewhm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2000
Messages
19,179
Reaction score
641
Yes i agree , sunshine is not that accessible with luggage , are you bringing a baby stroller?
 

aeng

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,512
Reaction score
44
hi,

my 2 sons are going on 3 and 6 so i won't need a stroller.
they're typical boisterous boys and can be nosiy when playing.

i've seen the House Ikebukuro site and it looks pretty interesting, quite cheap too.
will prob book one of the Annex suites.


Can someone give a review of the place if you've stayed there before?

Thanks.

ae
 

Telur17

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
31,933
Reaction score
0
hi,

my 2 sons are going on 3 and 6 so i won't need a stroller.
they're typical boisterous boys and can be nosiy when playing.

i've seen the House Ikebukuro site and it looks pretty interesting, quite cheap too.
will prob book one of the Annex suites.


Can someone give a review of the place if you've stayed there before?

Thanks.

ae
I stayed there in early Apr and we liked the place. No issues with communication as Mrs Chen can speak English and Chinese. We were in the main building though as the annex was fully booked so I can't provide details on that. The rooms and toilets were clean and there's free flow of hot and cold green tea and coffee as well as hot water. Also free flow of thick bread in the morning that you can toast as well as a selection of jams and honey to spread on them for breakfast in the kitchen. Not sure if this is available in the annex suite.

Amendities wise, only shower gel, shampoo and facial foam is provided. You need to bring your own towels and toothbrush although they do sell it if you forget. You can also pay to use their washing machine. There are 2 pcs in the main building that you can use to access the Internet for free. Wifi is free if you bring your own laptop. We didn't have any issues with noise control. Although the main building can get a bit noisy when big groups return, everyone quietens down fairly quickly.

House Ikebukuro is quite easy to find. Just exit c5 from the west entrance of Ikebukuro station and watch out for the sign. There's quite a lot of shops in Echiika and along the road to House Ikebukuro. I remember a 100 yen shop, mos burger and a convenience store not too far from it. Also not too far from the busier east exit.

The place is popular though so its best to book asap. I was quite surprised to see several westerners during my stay as the place used to be popular only with Hongkongers and Taiwanese.
 

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
Yea. I tried to book it for It for my trip but I cannot.

It's listed in lonely planet. Alot of recommendations on LP thorn tree forums as well.
 

Telur17

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
31,933
Reaction score
0
Yea. I tried to book it for It for my trip but I cannot.

It's listed in lonely planet. Alot of recommendations on LP thorn tree forums as well.
It is? I didn't know that. Maybe that's what is attracting the westerners I saw there.

Mrs Chen actually offered us the smaller 4.5k room when we were there. Was pleasantly surprised as we won't have known if she had given that to us rather than the 6k room we booked. N this was after we had already paid for all the rooms in advance.
 

Telur17

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
31,933
Reaction score
0
Wah ! So did she refund the price difference ?
we didn't take up the room in the end. we dilly dallied over it and when we decided to request to view the room, she had already promised it to someone else. :o
 

stars87

Master Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2004
Messages
4,894
Reaction score
0
we didn't take up the room in the end. we dilly dallied over it and when we decided to request to view the room, she had already promised it to someone else. :o

Ohhh I see. Haha. Business I suppose.

cos japan guide forums got people report that the mrs chen overbook for the night and send people to stay in private apartments in ikebukuro ( they didn't mind since it was pretty ok given the space , kitchenette and all that)
 

lwm999

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
900
Reaction score
4
I can't advise about the hotel in Tokyo city, but if you plan to visit Tokyo Disney Resort for 2 or 3 days, then can consider moving around there for that 2-3 nights.

I have stayed in Sheraton and Sunroute, both are big enough for 4 persons. Advantages are you can bring kids back to hotel to rest in the afternoon and continue at night, and check-in and buy Disney tickets at the visitor center beside the train station. You can plan to visit Disney at the end of your trip, and from the hotel take the limo bus to the airport.
 

Telur17

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
31,933
Reaction score
0
Ohhh I see. Haha. Business I suppose.

cos japan guide forums got people report that the mrs chen overbook for the night and send people to stay in private apartments in ikebukuro ( they didn't mind since it was pretty ok given the space , kitchenette and all that)
ohh, that's interesting. I won't have minded that too. :p

don't think that was the case for us though. she warned us the cheaper room would be much smaller.
 

aeng

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,512
Reaction score
44
thanks for all the useful info.

i'll probably book an annex suite with Mrs Chen soon.

seems to be the best option for us so far.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top