Traveling multiple times per year

C32B

Master Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
4,456
Reaction score
130
Just want to know, how does one able to travel multiple times per year ? How do they do it, say a couple just married and no commitments yet. I have a couple friend who can go 4 times Japan per year. I can only go at least once per year.

How do they do it ? There should be some ways to get cheaper airfares / accommodation de.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
Just want to know, how does one able to travel multiple times per year ? How do they do it, say a couple just married and no commitments yet. I have a couple friend who can go 4 times Japan per year. I can only go at least once per year.

How do they do it ? There should be some ways to get cheaper airfares / accommodation de.

What do you mean how they do it? Some people just simply have more money and/or time.

This year, I have been to Bangkok (one trip), Beijing, Taiyuan and Pingyao (one trip), Guangzhou (one trip), Amsterdam, Georgia and Armenia (one trip) and next month I'm going to Taiwan. So it's 5 trips this year for me. Was planning a weekend trip to HK this month but cancelled it. Also planning to go somewhere in Dec but don't have anywhere in mind yet.

There's always the option of hostels, and couchsurfing. This year, I have not been on couchsurfing. Mainly staying at hotels. I got cheap flights to Europe ($915 on KLM), China and also Taiwan. Just be on the lookout for cheap flights. Travelling off-season helps too.

For some, working in the airline or travel industry or hotels, can save on airfares and accommodation.
 
Last edited:

C32B

Master Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
4,456
Reaction score
130
What do you mean how they do it? Some people just simply have more money and/or time.

This year, I have been to Bangkok (one trip), Beijing, Taiyuan and Pingyao (one trip), Guangzhou (one trip), Amsterdam, Georgia and Armenia (one trip) and next month I'm going to Taiwan. So it's 5 trips this year for me. Was planning a weekend trip to HK this month but cancelled it. Also planning to go somewhere in Dec but don't have anywhere in mind yet.

There's always the option of hostels, and couchsurfing. This year, I have not been on couchsurfing. Mainly staying at hotels. I got cheap flights to Europe ($915 on KLM), China and also Taiwan. Just be on the lookout for cheap flights. Travelling off-season helps too.

For some, working in the airline or travel industry or hotels, can save on airfares and accommodation.
Wah, u travelled alot.. So the key lies in having more money and cheap flights. Where do you check out for cheap flights ?
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
I you do not need to pay rent, do not work and have rich uncle paying for your trips, what's the problem travelling multiple times per year?

Simply some people are better than others.
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,162
Reaction score
13,175
It's the same with some people asking how others can go pubbing nightly. How do they do it?

I believe one of the key words is "priorities". :)
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
Wah, u travelled alot.. So the key lies in having more money and cheap flights. Where do you check out for cheap flights ?

I use Skyscanner. I also look at the individual airlines websites. I'm not constantly looking. I only look when I want to go somewhere. Skyscanner has a fare alert feature. Helps to read world news too. Then you know which country has which budget or new airline operating.

Norwegian Airlines is a budget carrier which operates between Bangkok and some European cities/airports. Sometimes can get really low/cheap flights to Europe. Singapore-Bangkok has plenty of budget carriers operating the routes too.
 

C32B

Master Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
4,456
Reaction score
130
I use Skyscanner. I also look at the individual airlines websites. I'm not constantly looking. I only look when I want to go somewhere. Skyscanner has a fare alert feature. Helps to read world news too. Then you know which country has which budget or new airline operating.

Norwegian Airlines is a budget carrier which operates between Bangkok and some European cities/airports. Sometimes can get really low/cheap flights to Europe. Singapore-Bangkok has plenty of budget carriers operating the routes too.
Hi Dilphinus, thanks for the tips. Will look there for cheap flights.
 

sukkieman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
0
well, bro, just check how big your head is before you buy a hat. going on a vacation of somewhere that is more expensive or equal as your current location is going to be a burn in your pocket if you dont plan properly. it will be also quite tiring and missed out some of the fun and culture due to the limitation of cash available. on the other hand, going on a trip to neighbouring countries will be much cheaper, adn affordable, firstly there is a lot of budget air, secondly the currency isnt as strong as our and 3rdly the living standards arent as good as our. with the differences in currency strength, you should be able to find a relatively good package, transport, hotel and such.

Plan well, even when you are to engage services of a tour agency.

why you want have a trip? is it for family bonding, or adventure, get close to nature, shopping, sightseeing or just to laze around?

get yourself correct before you plan. if you are up for sightseeing or adventure, you probably wont be spending much time in your hotel, so book a cheap hotel. dont just book a flight to japan, stay in a 5 star and sleep for 12 hours a day. thats just not worth the money.

This year i have been to Lao Cai (vietnam), Lombok, Surabaya(Indonesia), Camaroon Highlands, Lembing(Malaysia), and next month i am going to Langkawi, follow by Bangkok in November and Tanjung Pinang in December. Aside from bangkok, all of them have one thing in common for me is there is a mountain to climb. I spend less than $3000 for all the trips together, inclusive of all airflights. And i only have 12 days leave a year.
 

sukkieman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
0
additional note: keep staying in touch with budget airlines, for example tigerair is having promotion currently.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
well, bro, just check how big your head is before you buy a hat. going on a vacation of somewhere that is more expensive or equal as your current location is going to be a burn in your pocket if you dont plan properly. it will be also quite tiring and missed out some of the fun and culture due to the limitation of cash available. on the other hand, going on a trip to neighbouring countries will be much cheaper, adn affordable, firstly there is a lot of budget air, secondly the currency isnt as strong as our and 3rdly the living standards arent as good as our. with the differences in currency strength, you should be able to find a relatively good package, transport, hotel and such.

Plan well, even when you are to engage services of a tour agency.

why you want have a trip? is it for family bonding, or adventure, get close to nature, shopping, sightseeing or just to laze around?

get yourself correct before you plan. if you are up for sightseeing or adventure, you probably wont be spending much time in your hotel, so book a cheap hotel. dont just book a flight to japan, stay in a 5 star and sleep for 12 hours a day. thats just not worth the money.

This year i have been to Lao Cai (vietnam), Lombok, Surabaya(Indonesia), Camaroon Highlands, Lembing(Malaysia), and next month i am going to Langkawi, follow by Bangkok in November and Tanjung Pinang in December. Aside from bangkok, all of them have one thing in common for me is there is a mountain to climb. I spend less than $3000 for all the trips together, inclusive of all airflights. And i only have 12 days leave a year.

Most of the places you have mentioned, are tourist traps. They aren't exactly 'cheap'. For some places in Thailand and Vietnam, I won't even pay to go.

Unless I'm doing the Ho Chi Minh trail, I don't think I wanna step foot into Vietnam again.

And it's not about booking a cheap hotel or not. Most of the time, cheap hotels are located on the outskirts or in a dodgy area/back alley, etc. How convenient and time saving are these cheap hotels?
 
Last edited:

styrx79

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
I believe the priorities in life that matters the most; me and my wife stay in a hdb flat and take public transport and it allow us to travel frequently without having to worry about the money. Fyi, we fly budget air most of the time (tiger, jetstar, airasia, eastar jet, peach, norwegian air, ryanair, wizzair ...) and stay in hostel or cheap hotel as long as they are clean. After traveling and seeing the world out there, you will realize how much prices are inflated here. In actual fact, I spent lesser when I am traveling if you eat at places where the local go to.

If you want to chase the 5C in Singapore, then you will need to have a lot of $ to be able to travel on a frequent basis ;)
 

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
17,525
Reaction score
24
like wat Habrosus mentioned, it is about priorities.


prioritise ur expenses. if u prioritise travelling over other activities such as shopping and pubbing, u will can easily save up for the trip. skip a few nights of pubbing and u can easily afford a short getaway. buy less clothes or gadgets and u can afford a longer trip.


it is also about ur expectations and planning for ur trip. if u want to eat in expensive restaurants and stay in luxurious hotels, then ur trip is going to be expensive. some ppl can spend just 2k for a 2 weeks japan trip, while others need more than 5k
 

C32B

Master Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2003
Messages
4,456
Reaction score
130
I believe the priorities in life that matters the most; me and my wife stay in a hdb flat and take public transport and it allow us to travel frequently without having to worry about the money. Fyi, we fly budget air most of the time (tiger, jetstar, airasia, eastar jet, peach, norwegian air, ryanair, wizzair ...) and stay in hostel or cheap hotel as long as they are clean. After traveling and seeing the world out there, you will realize how much prices are inflated here. In actual fact, I spent lesser when I am traveling if you eat at places where the local go to.

If you want to chase the 5C in Singapore, then you will need to have a lot of $ to be able to travel on a frequent basis ;)
Agree with most of you that priority is the first thing on mind and planning. I have been to Japan and Taiwan once every year for a total of 4 years and intend to travel more while still can. As the saying goes "Money can be make anytime, but memories can only make once.." Think I need to do careful planning and budgets.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
Agree with most of you that priority is the first thing on mind and planning. I have been to Japan and Taiwan once every year for a total of 4 years and intend to travel more while still can. As the saying goes "Money can be make anytime, but memories can only make once.." Think I need to do careful planning and budgets.

To me, travelling is not about creating memories. There's a difference between traveling and holidaying for me :s13:

Traveling to me, is to experience life and humanity. To learn and experience the history and culture. To meet new people and to share experiences. It is also to learn how to manage time, budget and how to solve problems and also learning how to keep yourself safe.
 

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
5,426
Reaction score
146
your job schedule must be so flexible to allow you to travel so much :D you are your own boss or you work from home??
 

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
28,711
Reaction score
14
looking back, donno how I managed to achieve this too with my wife

Jan'14 - Japan 7 Days
Mar'14 - NZ 17 Days
Aug'14 - Japan 7 Days

Total spent almost $20K on these holidays.. but my wife and I spend very little in SG. We don't go shopping or eat $25 breakfast at boutique cafes every weekend.. Usually happy with coffeeshop zi char and fastfood :o
 

sukkieman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
0
Most of the places you have mentioned, are tourist traps. They aren't exactly 'cheap'. For some places in Thailand and Vietnam, I won't even pay to go.

Unless I'm doing the Ho Chi Minh trail, I don't think I wanna step foot into Vietnam again.

And it's not about booking a cheap hotel or not. Most of the time, cheap hotels are located on the outskirts or in a dodgy area/back alley, etc. How convenient and time saving are these cheap hotels?

Well, plan well. really plan well enough so that you wont fall into traps.for a 3D2N night with aircon, i spend RM350 in Sungei Lembing, inclusive of bus transport. and i spend S$500 for a 4D3N, that includes buying 15 hats, a T shirt, park fees and guides 3 nights hotel stay, all transport inclusive of air flights and some food and cakes as souvenirs. none of these are minimal standard btw.

in sapa, there is the coach that brings me from train station to the town, the initial quotation was 20USD. Some caucasian was happy to negotiate it to 10USD. I mange to do it to less than 3USD.

regarding cheap hotel, well those at back street sometimes are in very good condition. dont judge a book by its cover. go in and see the condition of the room.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
Well, plan well. really plan well enough so that you wont fall into traps.for a 3D2N night with aircon, i spend RM350 in Sungei Lembing, inclusive of bus transport. and i spend S$500 for a 4D3N, that includes buying 15 hats, a T shirt, park fees and guides 3 nights hotel stay, all transport inclusive of air flights and some food and cakes as souvenirs. none of these are minimal standard btw.

in sapa, there is the coach that brings me from train station to the town, the initial quotation was 20USD. Some caucasian was happy to negotiate it to 10USD. I mange to do it to less than 3USD.

regarding cheap hotel, well those at back street sometimes are in very good condition. dont judge a book by its cover. go in and see the condition of the room.

Actually if you know how to negotiate, you may probably get it for free instead. Pretty sure you never tried hitchhiking before :)

It's not about the condition of the hotel. Back alleys are never safe. I've stayed in a pretty decent cheap enuff hotel in a lane/street where snatch thieves are prevalent.
 

sukkieman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
1,445
Reaction score
0
Actually if you know how to negotiate, you may probably get it for free instead. Pretty sure you never tried hitchhiking before :)

It's not about the condition of the hotel. Back alleys are never safe. I've stayed in a pretty decent cheap enuff hotel in a lane/street where snatch thieves are prevalent.

hmm, you ever been to sapa train station?
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,637
Reaction score
3,487
hmm, you ever been to sapa train station?

Does it matter if I have been or not to Sapa Train Station? For the matter of hitchhiking?

To be honest, I'm not interested in Vietnam. Too touristy for me, including places like Dalat. Maybe one day when I'm keen to climb Mount Fansipan, I will go.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top