UniSim - I have questions

eagle2fox2

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
3
I have a question. Is a Diploma education, say in one of the local Polytechnics, considered undergraduate studies?

They must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the tuition fee subsidy:
Applicants have not previously received a government-subsidised undergraduate education;


And students of UniSim, roughly how long is the course duration? Is it 3 years for a Bachelors? Will there be a one year subsidy because of related Diploma?

Asking on behalf of my brother who is in army now.
 

Havok_ex

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2008
Messages
1,812
Reaction score
0
UniSIM and SIMGE is 2 different things. Those UOL, RMIT, UB are under SIMGE and are not subsidised. Only degrees conferred by UniSIM are subsidised. 55% subsidy. UniSIM does not have any diploma courses. Only diploma courses in local polytechnics are subsidised. Its 3 years, 4 years for honours. Only have part-time for now. Must be above 21 to qualify for the subsidy at UniSIM.
 

Imperado

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2011
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
0
UNISIM - degree offered locally, part-time night studies and have government subsidy.. need above 21 AND 2 years work exp/employed on a full-time basis. No exemptions, degree range from 3-8 years depending on how many modules u want to take per sem.. flexible.

SIMGE - degree studied locally but offered by overseas (Uni of london, uni of wollongon etc). No subsidy but no age or work exp required. Study full-time at SIM during day time. Duration range from 1 to 3 year base on subject exemptions.

Poly is not undergraduate, undergraduate = degree.. what they meant is like for eg you receive undergraduate subsidy in NUS, complete ur degree and want to take unisim degree.. or u complete a unisim degree and this is ur second degree
 

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
7,265
Reaction score
23
3 years minimum for bachelor.

There is a limit of modules you can take each semester so fastest is about 3 years. I think no more exemption now...
 

gunners46

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
4
for their direct honours programme, it usually takes 4-6 years to complete.
usually ppl will take 3 modules per sem, but if u wanna chiong, u can take up to 4 modules to clear the course faster.
 

goulou

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
anybody knows why they no longer allow exemptions? imagine after a busy day at work, I have to attend this lesson just to learn something that i already know. totally draining one's energy...
 

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2001
Messages
13,256
Reaction score
914
I've been studying in uniSIM coming to 2 years and I think I still got another 1.5 years to go(no honours). Screwed up in my module selection over the past semesters. Its really not easy..the killer parts are the assignments not the exams but so far so good no failures..

Actually I kinda regretted studying at uniSIM considering the freaking long duration. Only good thing is the govt subsidy. Worst of all, when I found out the place im working at(a ministry) even accept DL degrees from of all places Kaplan, I was feeling even more miserable. 18 months from kaplan get honours compared to 3 years no honours in uniSIM.

Sorry just not a big fan of kaplan and their affiliated overseas unis.
 

ftft58

Member
Joined
May 23, 2013
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
anybody knows why they no longer allow exemptions? imagine after a busy day at work, I have to attend this lesson just to learn something that i already know. totally draining one's energy...

maybe under advice of MOE, the other local unis dun give much/any exemption too.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top