Upgrade Gfx advice R9 290

Asslann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
891
Reaction score
0
Got similar threads but don't want highjack.
Looking at upgrading card to prepare for GTA V.
Now only 550Ti but surprisingly works at 60fps 1080p for dota 2.

Currently looking at R9 290 as think is high end enough and value for money.

June 2014: Graphics Card Performance Per Dollar

I know it is known for noise and heat. But I heard getting other brands will cooler via better fans?
Is Seasonic 600W enough for one of this card? No xfire.
Buy amazon better but warrenty?

Thanks
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
GTA5 and Dota2 is like heaven and hell apart, respectively. Dota 2 so easy to drive, not surprised ur 550ti can run it at 60fps.

But, the requirements for GTA5 haven out yet, so hard to say 290 can fully support or not. Best is to wait till they officially announce it and then decide later. Or you can just get the 290 on promo and hope for the best.

Right now, amazon is selling more ex than in SG due to SG having promo for powercolour n sapphire. I recommend u get powercolour as it has 3 yrs warranty. U buy from amazon, need to send back to USA for RMA.

600w enough for single card.
 

Asslann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
891
Reaction score
0
GTA5 and Dota2 is like heaven and hell apart, respectively. Dota 2 so easy to drive, not surprised ur 550ti can run it at 60fps.

But, the requirements for GTA5 haven out yet, so hard to say 290 can fully support or not. Best is to wait till they officially announce it and then decide later. Or you can just get the 290 on promo and hope for the best.

Right now, amazon is selling more ex than in SG due to SG having promo for powercolour n sapphire. I recommend u get powercolour as it has 3 yrs warranty. U buy from amazon, need to send back to USA for RMA.

600w enough for single card.

Thanks for sharing.
I just scare later got bundle for the game and the card on Amazon.
But then from what I see, only Nvidia cards got this type of promo. :s22:
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
Thanks for sharing.
I just scare later got bundle for the game and the card on Amazon.
But then from what I see, only Nvidia cards got this type of promo. :s22:

You cant have best of both worlds for sure... Must choose 1 side...

Can always pre order the game mah.. With the savings u gt from getting the 290..
 

Asslann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
891
Reaction score
0
You cant have best of both worlds for sure... Must choose 1 side...

Can always pre order the game mah.. With the savings u gt from getting the 290..

For the powercolor gfx promo I just look for SLS stores?
I can't find powercolor in eplanet. Think out of stock.

Also with your experience, GPU usually last how long?
How long do you think your R9 290 will last? :D
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
For the powercolor gfx promo I just look for SLS stores?
I can't find powercolor in eplanet. Think out of stock.

Also with your experience, GPU usually last how long?
How long do you think your R9 290 will last? :D

It depends on what games u play or how long u play ur games for 1 week? Everybody's patterns are different.

Think u will need to KLKK in SLS, visit every store to find out which store still have stocks.

But, just to take note, 290 is designed to run at 95 C degrees. The non ref cooler will play a part in reducing the temps, though not by a far margin. Read reviews on the powercolour to understand better.
 

Asslann

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
891
Reaction score
0
It depends on what games u play or how long u play ur games for 1 week? Everybody's patterns are different.

Think u will need to KLKK in SLS, visit every store to find out which store still have stocks.

Btw, do you experience low mic volume with your Asrock Z87 Extreme4?
I'm using the same mobo but got this issue.

Sian also, cuz I planned for xfire or SLI when I bought this mobo.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
Btw, do you experience low mic volume with your Asrock Z87 Extreme4?
I'm using the same mobo but got this issue.

Sian also, cuz I planned for xfire or SLI when I bought this mobo.

I dun use the i/o mic on my case. Im using the microphone frm sound blaster Z.

Well, if u gonna xfire, make sure ur psu is at least 850w.

And since 290 runs hot, i will be going for water cooling.
 

weione

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
0
if you want cooler temp from a non ref 290

sapphire trix one is good
but at a cost of 2 year warranty.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top