Upgrading MSATA Cache Drive

Kiajoon

Master Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
0
Hi all

I have a new Lenovo T440s Thinkpad from work with a 16gb msata (or M.2 42mm?) cache drive. I want to buy a 64/128gb version and run my OS from it, retaining the 1TB mechanical hard drive. I plan to install a new OS and let the old OS still be on the mechanical drive, so that I can just put back the 16gb when needed.

1. Is 16gb enough for normal usage like Office and read some PDF documents?

2. If I want to upgrade will it void the warranty as the case seems to be sealed?

3. Will all msata cache out there be compatible? I have heard that Lenovo blocks all other drive upgrade.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:

Kenshin79

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,991
Reaction score
26
T440s uses M.2 drive
16GB is not enough for OS, Office and PDF.
Look for 64GB minimum, but safer to go 128GB as after windows update and drivers and programs, 64GB barely have any storage left.
 

Kiajoon

Master Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
0
Where can I get the M.2 format drives in Singapore? Cannot seem to find them on the pricelists here. Many users are buying the 42mm one from Amazon USA.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top