Upgrading my PC/RAM

N.QX Tech

Reaction score
Want to upgrade my PC, but is considering to upgrade/change RAM first. Reason to upgrade RAM cos I game with chrome and other apps open and the upon checking task manager, the memory is taking 60%-65% most of the time and my PC freezes sometimes.

Few questions to ask:
  1. Should I add on to my current RAM or buy other RAM? E.g. Buy 2x8GB same brand and same speed.
  2. If I were to buy other RAM, will G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL14 cause any error for my intel build as it is optimised for AMD build?
  3. Any other RAMs to recommend? Budget around $400. (Was told that CL14 is better than CL16 & CL18 so would prefer to have CL14/CL16. Please also recommend where to get it, thanks)
Thanks all in advance for guiding me. :giggle:

Current system build:
MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming
CPU - Intel® Core i7-10700K
GPU - ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB OC
RAM - 16GB Klevv BOLT X 3200 Mhz CL16 (2x8GB)
SSD - 512GB M.2 NVME SSD
HDD - 1TB TOSHIBA
PSU - 600W FSP/EVGA 80+ Certified PSU

smallcitybusylife

Reaction score
To answer your first question, would really recommend against mixing and matching ram sticks if that is what you are intending. It really is luck as to whether you can get separate ram sticks (even if they are the same manufacturer, model, speed etc.) to work. If you want to upgrade to a 32 4x8gb for example it would be the safest to buy the whole 4x8 fresh as a new set.

For number 2 it is also ideal to check if it matches the AMD or Intel, I would recommend. They both tend to be in stock in most places so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Lastly for number 3, really depends on what your typical workload on pc is like. Sure CL14 is faster but do you really need the barely noticeable extra speed while dropping an extra 100? Both CL16 and CL14 are already mighty fast. If you got extra budget then by all means though, although I would say save that extra 100 or so for when you can top up on the RTX 3000 series when you finally find some stock instead of say buying a ZOTAC (vs maybe something sturdier like a TUF).

Hope this helps!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.