Urgent advise needed!

PinkGlory

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
7
As I was experiencing some problems on my facebook (keeps having spams whenever I tried to open the links), my colleague said I should clear the cache in my phone, and went ahead to do it. She said she has done it before.

To my greatest horror, my whole whatspp folder in the gallery is gone! I have lost all my photos and videos that people sent to me.

Is there anyway that I can retrieve it? I didn't do any back-up..
 

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
55
As I was experiencing some problems on my facebook (keeps having spams whenever I tried to open the links), my colleague said I should clear the cache in my phone, and went ahead to do it. She said she has done it before.

To my greatest horror, my whole whatspp folder in the gallery is gone! I have lost all my photos and videos that people sent to me.

Is there anyway that I can retrieve it? I didn't do any back-up..

Use filemanager to check on device storage for whatsapp folder. If that is gone, means its lost if they are not backup.
But the thing is, clearing cache wouldnt delete any files except cache.
 

PinkGlory

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
7
Erm sorry.. how to use file manager?

All my photos and videos in other folders are still there. Only those under whatsapp are gone. I am panicking.. Haiz..

I noted that whatsapp also has backup everyday at 4am. If I switched off my hp at night, can the backup still be done? And do they backup photos and videos as well, or only chat messages? Can I now uninstall and reinstall whatsapp without doing a backup?
 

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
15,756
Reaction score
41
Erm sorry.. how to use file manager?

All my photos and videos in other folders are still there. Only those under whatsapp are gone. I am panicking.. Haiz..

I noted that whatsapp also has backup everyday at 4am. If I switched off my hp at night, can the backup still be done? And do they backup photos and videos as well, or only chat messages? Can I now uninstall and reinstall whatsapp without doing a backup?
If it is a Samsung phone, it will have an app called My Files.

Once in the My Files app, click on Device storage.

Look for the WhatsApp folder.

Go to the sub folder called Media | WhatsApp Images or Media | WhatsApp Video folders.

Your WhatsApp Images and Video are stored there.
 

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
55
As what seller4 says. Native file manager is 'My Files'. Use it search in device storage > whatsapp folder. If it is not there, its lost.
Whatsapp only backup chat thread. No multimedia will be backup. Not even chat history.
 

PinkGlory

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
7
As what seller4 says. Native file manager is 'My Files'. Use it search in device storage > whatsapp folder. If it is not there, its lost.
Whatsapp only backup chat thread. No multimedia will be backup. Not even chat history.

Under the whatsapp folder the photos and videos are all gone.. I have no idea why this has happened and I am feeling so much pain. Regretted not saving them in external hard disk..

Haiz..
 

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
55
Maybe while clearing cache using the storage function, you accidentally click on other options.
Try not to use 3rd party app to clear cache. Some apps that offer 1 click clear might include files from other folders to be cleared as well.
 

PinkGlory

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
7
Maybe while clearing cache using the storage function, you accidentally click on other options.
Try not to use 3rd party app to clear cache. Some apps that offer 1 click clear might include files from other folders to be cleared as well.

I didn't use any 3rd party app. As per my colleague, she only went to settings, and under storage she went to clear my cache. As what she usually does on her samsung phone.

I am still feeling v sad about this.
 

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
55
I didn't use any 3rd party app. As per my colleague, she only went to settings, and under storage she went to clear my cache. As what she usually does on her samsung phone.

I am still feeling v sad about this.

Weird. Clearing that way only clears cache. Unless she click on misc and delete from there.
 

lenseview

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
55
Clicking clear data only deletes the app data like account info. Meaning you will have to set up whatsapp again. And doing that will not delete any multimedia saved on phone.
 

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
15,756
Reaction score
41
Clicking clear data only deletes the app data like account info. Meaning you will have to set up whatsapp again. And doing that will not delete any multimedia saved on phone.
You are right.
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2015
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
I have cleared cache many time but this problem never happened..there must be some other error or wrong execution.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top