using 2.5 and 3.5 hdd in desktop?

tony_ong

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,589
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Like to check if using a additional 2.5 hdd that I have spare will help to improve the performance if my cyrrent system?

Or will I be better off leaving it with jus one 3.5 hdd that I currently have?

TIA
 

poor_poor

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
1
Hi,
Like to check if using a additional 2.5 hdd that I have spare will help to improve the performance if my cyrrent system?

Or will I be better off leaving it with jus one 3.5 hdd that I currently have?

TIA

adding any addition HDD do not improve any performance, it only give you more storage.
 
Joined
Oct 26, 2011
Messages
48,316
Reaction score
7,461
Hi,
Like to check if using a additional 2.5 hdd that I have spare will help to improve the performance if my cyrrent system?

Or will I be better off leaving it with jus one 3.5 hdd that I currently have?

TIA

It will improve performance only if you use "RAID 0".
But the best solution is to use an SSD for your OS instead.
 

d4rkst4r123

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2012
Messages
1,019
Reaction score
0
Using a 2.5 drive as your main system drive may actually hurt performance as 2.5 hdd usually are at 5400rpm. Their read write speed is usually slower than 3.5 hdd as 3.5 hdd are at 7200rpm
 

hsComu

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2013
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
one option would be to go with WD VelociRaptor 2.5" drive (it is 10Krpm) but usually the reason to have 2.5 in desktop is to have silent pc.
once you place system on dedicated drive it will improve performance (without any stripes/raid0)

but as Entry Level PC said it will be better to get 120Gb ssd for system only (you don't need 256Gb as system won't take so much space and performance gains from ssd with bigger size won't be used by system purposes anyway)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top