Using Miles Redemption for Air Tickets

nixiak

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
351
Reaction score
2
Hi everyone,

Need the advise from those who frequently redeem miles for air tickets. I am preparing to redeem miles for 2 x air tix to Bali. I look at the cost of airport taxes and carrier surcharges, I can really bring another person over on budget airlines.

What is the most cost efficient way to redeem miles, bearing in mind the airport taxes and carrier surcharges? For Long flights? For Short flights? For Economy class? For Business class? If you can offer some advise that would be great!

Cheers!
 

o0KelviN0o

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Messages
37,940
Reaction score
1,292
i redeemed the same flight because some miles expiring...

the taxes was $270 only leh... still save a few hundred bucks as compared to paying full budget fare for 2 adults right?
 
Last edited:

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
I recently redeemed for 2 adult tickets on Krisflyer. The taxes were less than $200, which is reasonable compared to the full fare. Besides, my miles were going to expire.
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
What is the most cost efficient way to redeem miles, bearing in mind the airport taxes and carrier surcharges? For Long flights? For Short flights? For Economy class? For Business class? If you can offer some advise that would be great!

Cheers!

Best value for miles for business and first class / suites, but of course, anywhere any class is good if your miles are expiring.
 

nixiak

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
351
Reaction score
2
I recently redeemed for 2 adult tickets on Krisflyer. The taxes were less than $200, which is reasonable compared to the full fare. Besides, my miles were going to expire.

Was it flights to Bali too? Less than $200 is a good deal.
Need to check your experience of miles redemption online as I never done it before. Some flights are available while some are on waiting list. If I choose the waitlisted flight option, usually how long will it take for the waitisted option to be confirmed?

If there are no other Saver options that are available, does it mean I can only choose the Standard option?
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
I went to Bangkok. To get on the waiting list, one must also have a confirmed option. How long will one be on the waiting list is indeterminate, especially for popular sectors like SG-Bangkok and SG-Bali. I was on the waiting list until I had to pick up the ticket for the confirmed option. If there are no Saver options, you have to go for Standard.
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
If there are no Saver options, you have to go for Standard.

If there are no economy saver, please try business saver, then first saver (if available), before going for standard tickets. Business saver is still cheaper than economy standard.
 

Suleyman

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
48
First is better value compared to Business compared to Economy. Long haul better than short haul. Generally Economy short haul is not really good value as the taxes alone could be more than the cost of a budget airline ticket on promotion (as you have noted).

Of course, if your miles are expiring, no choice. If you book further out, availability is usually better. Note that expiry of miles means you need to use them for a booking before they expire, not take the award flight before they expire. Eg, if your miles expire on 31 July, you can use them to book a ticket in December, as long as the bookings ticketed before 31 July.

Another way to stretch your miles for short haul is to redeem a one way ticket for a slightly further destination and buying the return flight on a budget airline.

If you are short on miles, almost all SG-issued credit cards will allow conversion of their rewards points into KF miles (usually a small fee involved).

Finally, try not to get standard tickets. Horrible value. If you have to get standard, look at business saver instead, which is usually marginally higher than economy standard.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,021
Reaction score
1,916
If there are no economy saver, please try business saver, then first saver (if available), before going for standard tickets. Business saver is still cheaper than economy standard.

Cool. I shall check business saver for my next redemption. I almost could not get Economy Saver this time.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top