UX31A or UX32VD

meowchi

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I cant seem to decide between those two ultrabooks as mention above from asus.

Although, it seem to me that the perks of the UX32VD far outweighs that of UX31A

UX32VD to UX31A:
- Though a HDD, but with much more disc storage(500GB)
- Better graphics card than that of UX31A
- Potential for addition of extra Ram

I would like clarify the perks of the UX31A compared to the UX32VD
- slightly thinner and lighter
- runs on SDD
- Full HD IPS display
- Sturdier keyboard ??


Are there any other perks of the UX31A that allows to be even comparable to the UX32VD ?
Or that any distinct charactistics of the UX31A to have a sell point(when compared to the UX32VD) other than the thinner, lighter and keyboard aspects :s11:
 
Last edited:

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
So far the Asus UX31A is one of the only few, or only one, notebooks that offer full HD (1920x1080) resolution on a 13.3-inch display. The other full HD laptops sold locally must be of at least 15.6" in size. And the Asus UX31A has a 256GB SSD and still can fight for a 2.1k pricing spot which is quite spectacular. Other 13.3"/14" models that offer SSD and lightweight at 1.3kg will typically fetch 2.5k-3k. So the decision still lies with u for the purchase.
 

starbugs

Master Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2000
Messages
3,037
Reaction score
204
I would like clarify the perks of the UX31A compared to the UX32VD
- slightly thinner and lighter
- runs on SDD
- Full HD IPS display
- Sturdier keyboard ??

There is also a version of the UX32VD with FHD IPS
 

DivineBlade

Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
I would say UX32VD. UX31A doesn't offer upgrades. For just an extra 100g or so, you get a discrete graphics card as opposed with a Intel 4000 onboard graphics. Displays, both should be the same. Price, I am quite sure UX32VD is cheaper due to the HDD. If you are concerned with speeds, UX32VD will definitely be slower but it's not so bad if you can live with slower startup and stuff.

Summary:
UX 32VD Cons - Slower speeds, heavier weight
UX 32VD Pros - Upgradability, discrete graphics.

UX31A Cons - No upgrades, onboard graphics
UX31A Pros - Fast boots(10secs for Wins 8), speedy Read/Writes.
 

chansl89

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
731
Reaction score
1
I chose UX31A because i am a student. Although is 150g differences, with all the extra books and notes, they really make a lot of diffferent.

I like the slimmest of the UX31A as compare to a slightly bloated shape UX32VD. I feel that it is more classy and the cutting was good.

Just my personal thought, ultimately is what is your priority. I spent a month cracking head to decide which is the best for me. UX31A i7, more expensive but serve the best for me.

Cheers
 

benjaminyeo

Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
11
I chose UX31A because i am a student. Although is 150g differences, with all the extra books and notes, they really make a lot of diffferent.

I like the slimmest of the UX31A as compare to a slightly bloated shape UX32VD. I feel that it is more classy and the cutting was good.

Just my personal thought, ultimately is what is your priority. I spent a month cracking head to decide which is the best for me. UX31A i7, more expensive but serve the best for me.

Cheers

That is right. I used to carry my UX32VD around, and it is really heavy. Even though it is just 1.45kg. Besides, UX31A has a bigger battery capacity of 6870mAh compared to 6520mAh of UX32VD.
 

Bakagomi

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2011
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
For 150gram difference I recommend you get the UX32VD. For the same price of 2.1k or less(depending on which 256GB SSD you get for the UX32VD) for the UX31A, the UX32VD can be upgraded up to 10GB RAM and a 256GB SSD which is faster than the ADATA on the UX31A.

As for weight I recommend you get a laptop bag with proper shoulder strap weight distribution. I am carrying around more than 5 kg on my Samsonite laptop bag and with the proper shoulder strap I do feel the weight but I don't feel the strap biting into my shoulder.

Oh. I do like the extra USB 3.0 on the UX32VD :)
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
I cant seem to decide between those two ultrabooks as mention above from asus.

Although, it seem to me that the perks of the UX32VD far outweighs that of UX31A

UX32VD to UX31A:
- Though a HDD, but with much more disc storage(500GB)
- Better graphics card than that of UX31A
- Potential for addition of extra Ram

I would like clarify the perks of the UX31A compared to the UX32VD
- slightly thinner and lighter
- runs on SDD
- Full HD IPS display
- Sturdier keyboard ??


Are there any other perks of the UX31A that allows to be even comparable to the UX32VD ?
Or that any distinct charactistics of the UX31A to have a sell point(when compared to the UX32VD) other than the thinner, lighter and keyboard aspects :s11:
If u really wan u shld buy the i7 version of the UX32VD which is full HD (1920x1080) IPS 13.3" screen. Not many notebooks currently can fit full-HD on a 13.3" screen. And the UX32VD, for the fact that it is running on 500GB HDD + 32GBmSATA, gives u space to DIY by swapping out the mSATA for higher capacity mSATA or HDD for SSD, according to your needs. But plz dun use these two laptops for gaming - they were never meant for that purpose.
 

kuniyo_keiji

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
926
Reaction score
0
If u really wan u shld buy the i7 version of the UX32VD which is full HD (1920x1080) IPS 13.3" screen. Not many notebooks currently can fit full-HD on a 13.3" screen. And the UX32VD, for the fact that it is running on 500GB HDD + 32GBmSATA, gives u space to DIY by swapping out the mSATA for higher capacity mSATA or HDD for SSD, according to your needs. But plz dun use these two laptops for gaming - they were never meant for that purpose.

hi, just to comment the asus SSD is

1) 24gb isandisk ssd
2) not Msata but on board and soldered.

so you cant swap it out...

Researched with pics

Asus Zenbook UX32VD Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

scroll down to the last picture it shows its not a msata but on board...

Sux
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
hi, just to comment the asus SSD is

1) 24gb isandisk ssd
2) not Msata but on board and soldered.

so you cant swap it out...

Researched with pics

Asus Zenbook UX32VD Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

scroll down to the last picture it shows its not a msata but on board...

Sux
Hmm, I'm not good with SSDs used for caching, coz never used SSD in this way before. Can the caching mSATA SSD be reconfigured, i.e. reformatted to contain only the OS? If can, then :). Else, there goes the chance to mod the ultrabook...:(
 

baldrickturnip

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
any recommendation on where to purchase a UX32VD and 256gig SSD

please PM me - I will be stopping in Singapore 17/18 october and am set on getting this Asus then.
 

kuniyo_keiji

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
926
Reaction score
0
any recommendation on where to purchase a UX32VD and 256gig SSD

please PM me - I will be stopping in Singapore 17/18 october and am set on getting this Asus then.

if im not wrong currently whole sls dun have stocks for this model, stocks will only come in end sept(rough estimate)
so dun get ur hopes high on this... Most of sls shops only take in deposits for now.

as the supply chain is tight, the price mostly is same across...
As for an ssd, you could try getting intel Series for international warranty
 

kuniyo_keiji

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
926
Reaction score
0
Hmm, I'm not good with SSDs used for caching, coz never used SSD in this way before. Can the caching mSATA SSD be reconfigured, i.e. reformatted to contain only the OS? If can, then :). Else, there goes the chance to mod the ultrabook...:(

24gb ssd contain os??
it can be set to not use for caching, but 24gb for os???
 

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
12,422
Reaction score
88
Even if the ssd or ram is soldered on the board it would be good for compact purpose. However when repair is needed it would pose a bigger issue
 

urbangamer

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2010
Messages
534
Reaction score
0
Is there any model which have almost the same spec at vivobook s400 but have full hd display under 1.5k ?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top