Vision screening in K1

marxace

Reaction score
Hi all,

My daughter recently had her vision screening test in K1 and was referred to see an eye doctor. Her results was 6/9.5P for right eye and 6/12P for left eye.

So i made an appointment for her to get her eyes checked by an ophthalmologist. During the check up, i noticed that my gal was not able to read some letters (when they became smaller) despite the optometrist/nurse changing/adjusting the different lens for her. I have almost perfect eyesight and was able to read all the letters that the optometrist/nurse tested her.

Anyway, her diagnosis was astigmatism in both eyes about 200 degrees.

So i made a pair of glasses for her using the prescription the doctor gave. While testing her eyesight again at the eyewear shop, she still could not read certain letters (when they became smaller) even after adjusting lens.

So i am wondering if its normal that kids this age (5yr plus) is not able to see clearly yet? She certainly knows her alphabets and numbers though.

Lustgan

Reaction score
Hi all,

My daughter recently had her vision screening test in K1 and was referred to see an eye doctor. Her results was 6/9.5P for right eye and 6/12P for left eye.

So i made an appointment for her to get her eyes checked by an ophthalmologist. During the check up, i noticed that my gal was not able to read some letters (when they became smaller) despite the optometrist/nurse changing/adjusting the different lens for her. I have almost perfect eyesight and was able to read all the letters that the optometrist/nurse tested her.

So i made a pair of glasses for her using the prescription the doctor gave. While testing her eyesight again at the eyewear shop, she still could not read certain letters (when they became smaller) even after adjusting lens.

So i am wondering if its normal that kids this age (5yr plus) is not able to see clearly yet? She certainly knows her alphabets and numbers though.
play too much handphone?

ishtarsg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would suggest make lens to be able see normal size characters and ask school to move her seat to the front.
Wait a few more month see how again.

Euqorab

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you may try asking in Facebook groups example SHC Xtra if not those parenting groups too

200 degree sounds too high at this tender age

sinicker

Master Member
Reaction score
my daughter is in N2.

no myopia. just astigmatism.

she initially complained she was tired when we were reading... i thought ok, time to sleep. and she would go to bed.

then she had a habit of reading out aloud the block numbers when I was driving... i thought ok, she just wants to say the numbers..

then came the nurses to her pre-school.. bam, the letter came..

went to optician. optician say... this one go HPB.

went to HPB, diagnosed with astigmatism both eyes.

went back to optician, got the specs... now she is happy with her specs.

my wife and I realised that it is very common for the girls to wear specs now...

side note : my wife and I are strict. strictly no screen gadgets.

sinicker

Master Member
Reaction score
looking at your first post and experiences, i think the prescription is not right...?

marxace

Reaction score
looking at your first post and experiences, i think the prescription is not right...?
ya seems like it.
I have made another appointment for her to get her eyes checked next week.
Feels frustrating (to me) that she cant read certain small letters even though the optometrist/nurse kept changing lens..
So does it mean now with the spectacles on, your gal is able to read all the small letters? (that a normal person is able to read)
How many degrees of astig does she have if you dun mind?

doratch

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It is normal for 5yr old kids to have 6/9-6/12 visual acuity. Her visual acuity will get better when she grows older because her eyes are still developing.
But in order for that to happen, she has to see clearly first because its a cycle thingy. See clear -> develops -> see clear.
The worst thing that can happen is that amblyopia (lazy eye) will set in if she does not see clearly, resulting in her eyes not "develop" fully.

Prior to the refraction check at the eye dr's, I assumed that she was dilated before having the refraction check?
If so, then, I guess you can just go ahead and make her the new pair of specs.

marxace

Reaction score
It is normal for 5yr old kids to have 6/9-6/12 visual acuity. Her visual acuity will get better when she grows older because her eyes are still developing.
But in order for that to happen, she has to see clearly first because its a cycle thingy. See clear -> develops -> see clear.
The worst thing that can happen is that amblyopia (lazy eye) will set in if she does not see clearly, resulting in her eyes not "develop" fully.

Prior to the refraction check at the eye dr's, I assumed that she was dilated before having the refraction check?
If so, then, I guess you can just go ahead and make her the new pair of specs.
Her eyes were tested before and after she was dilated. Both times despite changing lens several times, she couldnt read the small letters. So i am not sure if the optometrist just gave up and simply gave her a diagnosis.
My next appointment for her (next week) would be at an optometrist though. Their services include a comprehensive eye check with refraction check as well. I wonder if they will dilate her pupils as compared to an ophthalmologist.

I am also afraid that she will get/or already has amblyopia (lazy eye) . How can a layman like me tell whether she has lazy eye? Her eyes do not squint or look crooked to me.. they seem to... well look like normal eyes to me.

The ophthalmologist also tested her 3d vision and it seems fine.

doratch

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Her eyes were tested before and after she was dilated. Both times despite changing lens several times, she couldnt read the small letters. So i am not sure if the optometrist just gave up and simply gave her a diagnosis.
My next appointment for her (next week) would be at an optometrist though. Their services include a comprehensive eye check with refraction check as well. I wonder if they will dilate her pupils as compared to an ophthalmologist.

I am also afraid that she will get/or already has amblyopia (lazy eye) . How can a layman like me tell whether she has lazy eye? Her eyes do not squint or look crooked to me.. they seem to... well look like normal eyes to me.

The ophthalmologist also tested her 3d vision and it seems fine.
During the refraction check, if she can't see the smaller letters despite the changing of the lenses and further confirmed by the pinhole, then, that will only mean that her eyes are not fully developed yet.
Judging by her age, her visual acuity of 6/9-6/12 is still acceptable.

Lazy eye does not mean squinting or the misalignment of eyes. Lazy eyes is the layman term for amblyopia.

Squinting/misalignment of eyes = eye turned in/out.

If you are bringing her to see an optometrist in an optical shop, I doubt she will be dilated due to the legislations in sg.

If the optometrist is working in an optical shop, do ask her to use the "fogging" method when checking your child's refractive status. They will know what to do.

marxace

Reaction score
During the refraction check, if she can't see the smaller letters despite the changing of the lenses and further confirmed by the pinhole, then, that will only mean that her eyes are not fully developed yet.
Judging by her age, her visual acuity of 6/9-6/12 is still acceptable.

Lazy eye does not mean squinting or the misalignment of eyes. Lazy eyes is the layman term for amblyopia.

Squinting/misalignment of eyes = eye turned in/out.

If you are bringing her to see an optometrist in an optical shop, I doubt she will be dilated due to the legislations in sg.

If the optometrist is working in an optical shop, do ask her to use the "fogging" method when checking your child's refractive status. They will know what to do.
Thanks for your comments and advice.
In this case, should she still continue to wear her specs which have astig lens of 200 degrees both sides?
Or wait til the check next week?

doratch

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments and advice.
In this case, should she still continue to wear her specs which have astig lens of 200 degrees both sides?
Or wait til the check next week?
If you have already made the specs, then, I would suggest that you let her wear the specs.

Try to refrain your daughter from rubbing her eyes too much as well.

marxace

Reaction score
If you have already made the specs, then, I would suggest that you let her wear the specs.

Try to refrain your daughter from rubbing her eyes too much as well.
Thanks.. yes she does rub her eyes a lot.. my son too.. already told them many times not to rub though..

Thanks again for your kind help!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.