Want to upgrade rig- advice please?

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
I have a rig and thinking of upgrading it by changing the Mobo & CPU.

I play games once in a while- last game played was Final Fantasy XIV but am not fussy about setting for highest graphics.
I was thinking of not having a graphics card at all, but thinking of maybe doing dual monitor set up in future.
What do you all recommend?

Also need a new casing- a basic case with decent ventilation will do, looks doesn't matter to me.

Current parts I'm thinking of reusing:
Gigabyte Intel H55/1156/DDR3/Microatx/S3
Intel core i5 760 2.8 GHZ/8mb
Strontium 4gm DDR3 PC3 1-600 DIMM
Andyson Silent G530 80% Eff
HDD- seagate
Gigabyte Nvida GT 430 1gb
----------------------------------------------------------
Need:
New Mobo + CPU
Casing
Graphics Card?

Also, please let me know if I need to change PSU...

Budget: Up to $500 (maybe more?) for Mobo + CPU + Case
Graphics card- do I need? What kind do I need?
Most of the parts are ard 3 years old so not looking to spend too much if I can, but willing to spend more for reliability n use till it die if I need to.
Thank you in advance for all advice!
 
Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
I have a rig and thinking of upgrading it by changing the Mobo & CPU.

I play games once in a while- last game played was Final Fantasy XIV but am not fussy about setting for highest graphics.
I was thinking of not having a graphics card at all, but thinking of maybe doing dual monitor set up in future.
What do you all recommend?

Also need a new casing- a basic case with decent ventilation will do, looks doesn't matter to me.

Current parts I'm thinking of reusing:
Strontium 4gm DDR3 PC3 1-600 DIMM
Andyson Silent G530 80% Eff
HDD- seagate
Gigabyte Nvida GT 430 1gb
----------------------------------------------------------
Need:
New Mobo + CPU
Casing
Graphics Card?

Also, please let me know if I need to change PSU...

Budget: Up to $500 (maybe more?) for Mobo + CPU + Case
Graphics card- do I need? What kind do I need?
Thank you in advance for all advice!

You have not mentioned what is your current CPU and Mobo
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
Corsair 200R + 1 yateloon fan $9 = 84
zotac amp + superflower 500 hx 429


buy from tradepac, just reuse the rest of the parts



correct me if im wrong but i dont think your cpu will bottle neck the graphics card

this should allow you to play it on the highest settings
 
Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Corsair 200R + 1 yateloon fan $9 = 84
zotac amp + superflower 500 hx 429


buy from tradepac, just reuse the rest of the parts



correct me if im wrong but i dont think your cpu will bottle neck the graphics card

this should allow you to play it on the highest settings

The cpu still ok. He doesnt need to change it.

TS you just need a chassis as per above and also a new gpu + PSU.
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
alternatively if you want to resue your psu and save on $100 since 500w is sufficient for gtx 760

can order this from amazon, warranty wise please see below

Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2765-KR) Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2765-KR: Computers & Accessories


You are right. EVGA local warranty centre is their Taiwan office, users who bought from overseas will need to apply for RMA number with EVGA and ship back to Taiwan.

If you need Convergent's assistance in the RMA shipment, same thing, apply for RMA online with EVGA and walk-in to Convergent service centre with the RMA number & hardware. Convergent Systems will charge a handling fee for the shipment.

If you have no problem in shipping it direct to EVGA Taiwan warranty centre, please do so as it is recommended to ensure no delay through a middle-man.
 

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice eatsnakewarrior and royfrosty!
Will definitely look into that casing as mine is rusty.

I was actually thinking of changing Cpu n mobo because mobo been giving me problem. I visited gigabyte thrice. Last visit they finally rma for me mobo n graphics card but the guy told me that series all got problem and advised me to change...

What do you all think?
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
Thanks for the advice eatsnakewarrior and royfrosty!
Will definitely look into that casing as mine is rusty.

I was actually thinking of changing Cpu n mobo because mobo been giving me problem. I visited gigabyte thrice. Last visit they finally rma for me mobo n graphics card but the guy told me that series all got problem and advised me to change...

What do you all think?


what kind of problems?? if they can't fix it, ask them if they can offer you another mobo of the same chipset with lesser problems? (topup)

if you're not fussed about having the latest processor etc and just want a functioning rig,

ASROCK B75M - DGS + I5 3350p - 271


but if i were you i'll try to salvage the situation first before getting new stuffs
 

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the advice bro.
I suffer from intermittent no display. Like... switch on, hear everything runnning, beep! But no display.
Strangely enough, sometimes it will work and I'll be able to use it fine.
They finally agreed to rma for me (first two trips, guy said can work so just sent me home)
3rd trip different guy but saw him b4, first thing he said when saw me : you again!
But he told me this chipset all mobo got prob n no more producing?
 

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
Oh! About the case, I Googled photo and saw that e power button is at the top.
Silly question, can that panel be moved to bottom?
Otherwise can rec a case where power button is centre or lower? I put my rig on Top Shelf N May Be hard to reach power button too high
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
Oh! About the case, I Googled photo and saw that e power button is at the top.
Silly question, can that panel be moved to bottom?
Otherwise can rec a case where power button is centre or lower? I put my rig on Top Shelf N May Be hard to reach power button too high


you can flip it up size down? :s13:

and paste a sticker to cover the logo :s13:






5uL3LDv.png
 

HairySpice

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
2
Reminds me of older atx casings...... the manufacturers just flip it and says NEW 2013!
 

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
Hahaha. Not sure it's safe to turn the case upside down.
Any more recs for case?
Think for the upgrade I will wait n see if got need.

Mid tower case enough for me right?

Any rec on if my rig will benefit from ssd? Or wait till my hdd die?
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Put the case on the floor? Like that can reach the top panels le... There aint any case with I/O at bottom. Or you can try getting mATX case like bitfenix prodigy M.
 

kyuushin

Master Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
2,686
Reaction score
0
Put the case on the floor? Like that can reach the top panels le... There aint any case with I/O at bottom. Or you can try getting mATX case like bitfenix prodigy M.

Sorry... can explain more on mATX case? What's the difference?

U all really tempting me on ssd. Tempted for 480gB. Current hdd is 500 gb n good enough for me.

Ssd, will there be improved gen or just price drops?
 

EatSnakeWarrior

Honorary Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
139,648
Reaction score
326
Sorry... can explain more on mATX case? What's the difference?

U all really tempting me on ssd. Tempted for 480gB. Current hdd is 500 gb n good enough for me.

Ssd, will there be improved gen or just price drops?


240gb is enough to store your regular applications, shift your less important files to the HDD
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top