WD Greens in RAID 1 recommended?

foo9883

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
22,628
Reaction score
19,941
I googled some information about WD Greens in RAID 1 and some have mentioned that the power saving feature in the Greens can potentially drop the HDDs out of the RAID array. Anyone with RAID 1 WD Greens can comment on this?

Also, should I use onboard RAID or Windows RAID for a simple RAID 1 array?

Also, does WD have international warranty? Not sure to get from Amazon or SIM lim
 
Last edited:

foo9883

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2009
Messages
22,628
Reaction score
19,941
I feel Reds are too overkill for my use as I just need basic RAID1 storage. I wonder if Greens are enough
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
I feel Reds are too overkill for my use as I just need basic RAID1 storage. I wonder if Greens are enough

For a couple of tens of dollars, it's not a huge jump from Green to Red. Red has the necessary feature, TLER, which is previously only found in enterprise disks which are often in RAID environments.

I have been using both RED and GREEN in the same array and over the 2 years, have RMA 2 Greens due to bad sectors found. While there is no conclusive information to support that it resulted in bad sectors, but I have found the power cycles in the GREEN disks to be extremely high. The only way to lower the power cycles count in the disks is to use WD IDLE DOS application to configure the firmware found in WD GREEN disks.

if you want less hassle, just go and get the RED disks. It will work right out of the box.
 

free2d

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
13
I bought 500gb and 1T at the same time. 500gb for desktop and 1T for external storage. 1T died just after warranty finish. So roughly 2-3yrs.

Should i get hard disk with longest warranty like WD black 5yrs or RED with 3yrs for NAS RAID1/mirror?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
I bought 500gb and 1T at the same time. 500gb for desktop and 1T for external storage. 1T died just after warranty finish. So roughly 2-3yrs.

Should i get hard disk with longest warranty like WD black 5yrs or RED with 3yrs for NAS RAID1/mirror?

The black version is for enterprise market and cost more and use more power and produce more heat. For archival purpose, probably not the best option but nevertheless depends on your needs of ur NAS
 

free2d

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
13
It is for work data, photos and movies etc. I want to use it them in Raid1 mirror inside Window software. Not exactly NAS standalone. Both Seagate 500gb mirror are dead too.

So was wondering is longer warranty will help my peace of mind? Or get the Red with 24/7 runs cooler hd but shorter warranty? Performance is not a priority for me, durability is.

Btw, my desktop is on during office hour only, not 24/7. Looking at 4T Red or Hitachi drives.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
38,196
Reaction score
11,810
For a couple of tens of dollars, it's not a huge jump from Green to Red. Red has the necessary feature, TLER, which is previously only found in enterprise disks which are often in RAID environments.

I have been using both RED and GREEN in the same array and over the 2 years, have RMA 2 Greens due to bad sectors found. While there is no conclusive information to support that it resulted in bad sectors, but I have found the power cycles in the GREEN disks to be extremely high. The only way to lower the power cycles count in the disks is to use WD IDLE DOS application to configure the firmware found in WD GREEN disks.

if you want less hassle, just go and get the RED disks. It will work right out of the box.

Do note that the WD Red 4TB still has the load cycle count issue and will require using wd idle to fix.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Do note that the WD Red 4TB still has the load cycle count issue and will require using wd idle to fix.

I'm not sure about the RED 4TB, I'm using 2TB and the power load cycle is pretty low and doesn't pose any issues to me. For 530+days, with only 200+ load_cycle_count, as oppose to one of my older low standing green with over 20K+ load_cycle_count against 1240+ days

Never need to touch the standby settings for my WD RED disks. However, seems like there are reported cases of later batches with the idle time set back to 8s. No harm do a check if required :)

This might help easier, at least don't need to go into DOS mode for the WIDLE3
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=619&sid=201&lang=en

You can download the 32bits Linux version and run directly in your Synology NAS. Tried it, the tool reported no update required.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top