Website to compare laptops with SG pricing

youaredie

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,015
Reaction score
2
Hi all

I've been searching online and there have been only occasional forum posts which talk about laptop prices and performances in Singapore.

Are there any dedicated websites which will contain local prices of current laptops in the market so that I can do a quick comparison of what I will require in a system?

Thanks.
 

dawnknight

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
701
Reaction score
0
no need such websites
as a general rule of thumb:

mainstream laptop 14" with at most i7 quadcore cost $1k+ new
gaming laptop 15" (which is 99% i7 quadcore) cost $2k+ new
lite class laptop with screensize that go down to 12" with at most i5 two-cores may go below $1k new

upgrade offers with ssd and/or more ram cost a few hundred bucks extra. and prices dont differ that much from shop to shop or seller to seller, since brand new laptop prices in sg are pretty much perpetually overpriced :s13: so if budget is not an issue, u can use the rule of thumb suggested above. but if budget is an issue, u still have an alternative to hunt patiently for 2nd hand 2010-era 2nd-generation intel-based (example i7-2630qm) laptops, those are now going for as low as 500 bucks, underutilized. if u can find a good used set from a nice individual seller then its a good deal
 

youaredie

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,015
Reaction score
2
Oh I see.

Thanks for the info.

Cuz my situation right now is that I need to research on laptops, one for my father to use for web surfing and pure work applications, while I need to find one for myself which can do mid to low-level gaming.

I also have budget constrains for each that's why I'm hoping to look at below $700 and $1500 respectively. Some brand websites I go show prices (like Dell), while others don't (like Asus).

Looks like a personal trip down to Sim Lim awaits :s13:
 

dawnknight

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
701
Reaction score
0
your budget is more or less there. (+/- a few bucks)

for your dad's case u can try those t400, t410, t420 used sets. typically the specs will be 2 cores, 14", 4gb ram, integrated graphics, 5400rpm hdd, 2.2kg, smooth keyboard, cool matte black all over and a very nice trackpoint (for ibm legacy users the trackpoint is a godsend during mouse-less situations cos trackpoints handle much better than touchpads). note that if it has only 2gb ram then it is a telltale signature that it is from those reseller shops lol cos they will charge u a couple more bucks if u ask to add more ram LOL, well actually nothing wrong with that, just business as usual eh:s13:) if u want to add a ssd to it, the tray shld be 9.5mm height, check again to make sure. if not then its 7mm height
then again if he is not ibm classic fan then actually anything 14" size will suffice since its just surfing and work. unless his work is highly graphic intensive then u may want more ram and a better gfx card

for pricing guage u can go to bootstrike.com and download those jpg posters that contain laptop prices of past IT shows, say 2012 & 2013 IT shows. then it will give u a good idea of which model at roughly what price really physically exist in recent times in sg. u can then note down the model, specs, price, before heading to SLS to compare if what u see in SLS is old stocks or some new released model that u havent seen/heard of b4. and of course, compare the price lol
 

evilster

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
9,864
Reaction score
68
Oh I see.

Thanks for the info.

Cuz my situation right now is that I need to research on laptops, one for my father to use for web surfing and pure work applications, while I need to find one for myself which can do mid to low-level gaming.

I also have budget constrains for each that's why I'm hoping to look at below $700 and $1500 respectively. Some brand websites I go show prices (like Dell), while others don't (like Asus).

Looks like a personal trip down to Sim Lim awaits :s13:

Your father computer, u can get Lenovo U330p or Samsung 9 Lite
then for yrself, can consider UX32VD(older processor) about 1398 quite cheap, previously was 1698. New Haswell Processor UX302 is 1698, not yet launch.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top