Wechat wallet

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hmm then the 3rd party service will not really work for those new WeChat sign-up which will not even have the Wallet Function enabled. And even if they link to a SG bank card to enable Wallet function they will not be able to receive from transfer or Ang Bao.

So how they are going to top up for the new foreign WeChat users without a China bank card?

Obviously it’s targeting those who have WeChat wallet enabled and also linked with a local sg bank account but cannot top up himself

To enable WeChat wallet, you just need someone to send you $1 and to use or accept the money, just need to link your local debit/credit

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Obviously it’s targeting those who have WeChat wallet enabled and also linked with a local sg bank account but cannot top up himself

To enable WeChat wallet, you just need someone to send you $1 and to use or accept the money, just need to link your local debit/credit

Okay this is the same trick I used last year ( can receive angpow and transfer after linking SG bank card) and rediscovered this year (can not receive from either angpow or transfer, but can receive money with 二维码收款).

The problem is that the new sign-up can not receive either angpow or transfer even with the wallet function enable by the trick. How the 3rd party vendors carry out the top up? Are they also using the 二维码收款 trick?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the new sign-up can not receive either angpow or transfer even with the wallet function enable by the trick. Are they also using the 二维码收款 trick?

And it is even worse for Alipay. Yes you can top up without carrying out the identity verification -- just set up an Alipay account and got RMB10 from my relative using his Alipay account (similar to 二维码收款 in wechat), but I have not found a way to spend the money, unlike WeChat. So how the 3rd party top up service providers work with new Alipay account?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Okay this is the same trick I used last year ( can receive angpow and transfer after linking SG bank card) and rediscovered this year (can not receive from either angpow or transfer, but can receive money with 二维码收款).

The problem is that the new sign-up can not receive either angpow or transfer even with the wallet function enable by the trick. How the 3rd party vendors carry out the top up? Are they also using the 二维码收款 trick?

Now WeChat new sign up cannot enable wallet just by getting someone to send $1 to him anymore?

Then too bad le

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now WeChat new sign up cannot enable wallet just by getting someone to send $1 to him anymore?

Then too bad le

You can enable the wallet function once adding the SG credit/debit card after someone sends you RMB1. But you are still not able to receive the RMB1 without adding a China bank card. The RMB1 will return to the sender after 24 hours. Just tried this with two wechat accounts, one with SG moble phone number and one with China mobile number.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And it is even worse for Alipay. Yes you can top up without carrying out the identity verification -- just set up an Alipay account and got RMB10 from my relative using his Alipay account (similar to 二维码收款 in wechat), but I have not found a way to spend the money, unlike WeChat. So how the 3rd party top up service providers work with new Alipay account?

I guess they may use this one. 支付宝卡

Still not sure how they sort out the real name verification issue. I will try to add my Singapore passport to see if that helps later.

https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_detail.htm?help_id=201602088666

支付宝卡是大陆地区发行的卡,可以通过线上网站或者支付宝认可的正规线下网点购买。

支付宝卡的支付限额为:单笔5000元、单日累计5000元、单月累计5000元、每年累计5000元(按自然年) 。

注:此限额为用户身份证下所有支付宝账户共用额度。如:一个身份证注册了两个支付宝账户,那这两个账户的支付宝卡限额是共用的,而不是两个单独的限额。

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alipay, sinkies can do real name verification
someone have to transfer you the $

how to use it...
you can use it for taobao or make payment to someone in china if you purchase something from physical shop, online, etc...

for example, my friend play some china online game by tencent. she ask me to make payment on behalf of her

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
alipay, sinkies can do real name verification
someone have to transfer you the $

how to use it...
you can use it for taobao or make payment to someone in china if you purchase something from physical shop, online, etc...

for example, my friend play some china online game by tencent. she ask me to make payment on behalf of her

Thanks for the info. So Singapore citizen can do real name verification with the Singapore passport, right? I see this option in my Alipay account.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_detail.htm?help_id=215132

So yes you can use Singapore passport to carry out real name verification.

Still it says that you need a bank card issued in mainland China after submission of the passport...

4 身份信息补全成功后,可选择用“银行卡验证”或“扫脸验证”的方式

温馨提示:目前扫脸认证只支持有大陆来往通行证的港澳台用户

如选择银行卡验证,则进入绑卡页,直接进入快捷绑定环节:

注:
(1)该卡需要是中国大陆发行的卡
(2)如需进一步补全身份信息,获取更多账户功能,不同地区,需要上传的证件也不同:
台湾用户可提供:台湾居民来往大陆通行证(简称台胞证,只提交基本身份信息页即可)
海外用户可提供:护照(上传时提交基本身份信息页+入境盖章页)
港澳用户可提供:港澳居民来往内地通行证(只提交基本身份信息面即可,纸质通行证或塑料卡两种)

如选择“扫脸验证”,PC端进入引导扫二维码至APP端扫脸验证:

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_detail.htm?help_id=215132

So yes you can use Singapore passport to carry out real name verification.

Still it says that you need a bank card issued in mainland China after submission of the passport...

4 身份信息补全成功后,可选择用“银行卡验证”或“扫脸验证”的方式

温馨提示:目前扫脸认证只支持有大陆来往通行证的港澳台用户

如选择银行卡验证,则进入绑卡页,直接进入快捷绑定环节:

注:
(1)该卡需要是中国大陆发行的卡
(2)如需进一步补全身份信息,获取更多账户功能,不同地区,需要上传的证件也不同:
台湾用户可提供:台湾居民来往大陆通行证(简称台胞证,只提交基本身份信息页即可)
海外用户可提供:护照(上传时提交基本身份信息页+入境盖章页)
港澳用户可提供:港澳居民来往内地通行证(只提交基本身份信息面即可,纸质通行证或塑料卡两种)

如选择“扫脸验证”,PC端进入引导扫二维码至APP端扫脸验证:
hello? you don't even know what you want to do with it. why read so much into detail?

there are many singaporeans with alipay that they added singapore bank card BUT limited for taobao/tmall purpose

if you want to add china bank card, means you can debit and credit from your china bank account directly

otherwise, just pay a 3rd party to transfer you in RMB and use it in taobao, china , singapore or anywhere else in the world that you see that alipay QR code on display.

MiloMocha

Reaction score
If you are unable to pay or transfer the remaining balance out, I suppose an option will be to find a local Chinese with Chinese bank card to link his/her card to your Alipay account and transfer the $$ out.

This exercise will be worth it for a reasonably large amount, if it is for a few dollars perhaps just to leave it.

Have you tried to use Taobao (link your Alipay account to your Taobao account) to buy stuff with your Alipay balance?

BTW, how do you get the Alipay balance in the first place ?

I am using my Alipay linked to my Taobao. The balance in my account was sellers refunds and I managed to use all before Alipay implemented the 实名认证 needed to use the balance.

Currently, I can use my Alipay for Taobao/Tmall purchases with my SG cards without problems, just need to pay 3% service fee and I can get daifu to pay for my purchases when I am not using Taobao 红包 or discount vouchers to save on the 3% fees (cause daifu is not allowed when using 红包).

But I am planning to buy from 1688 and 1688 payment needs either Alipay balance or China bank account. Figure my last option is to get daifu to pay for my 1688 purchases if it's feasible or gets a 1688 agent which will cost me additional fees and might defeat the purpose of buying from 1688.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello? you don't even know what you want to do with it. why read so much into detail?

there are many singaporeans with alipay that they added singapore bank card BUT limited for taobao/tmall purpose

if you want to add china bank card, means you can debit and credit from your china bank account directly

otherwise, just pay a 3rd party to transfer you in RMB and use it in taobao, china , singapore or anywhere else in the world that you see that alipay QR code on display.

Thanks for the info. Just want to see if I can use Alipay for the short China trips to pay street vendors. I do not have a China bank card and it is not easy to get one.

I will stick to WeChat which proved to work fine for my trip to China.

Edit to add: my wife does have a proper Alipay account linked to a China bank card through her relative. So I know the conveniences of Alipay. We just use remittance service in the shopping centre to top up that bank account. It is just I do not want to link to that bank account for my wechat and Alipay account since it belongs to her relative.

Last edited:

MiloMocha

Reaction score

Yup you are right that it's even worse for Alipay, you can receive but unable to use the balance unless you are 实名认证. That's why those 3rd party service providers mentioned that your account must be verified in the first place, or else your money will be stuck there.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup you are right that it's even worse for Alipay, you can receive but unable to use the balance unless you are 实名认证. That's why those 3rd party service providers mentioned that your account must be verified in the first place, or else your money will be stuck there.

I believe there is a way to spend the balance. Try Taobao to see if that helps.

MiloMocha

Reaction score
You can enable the wallet function once adding the SG credit/debit card after someone sends you RMB1. But you are still not able to receive the RMB1 without adding a China bank card. The RMB1 will return to the sender after 24 hours. Just tried this with two wechat accounts, one with SG moble phone number and one with China mobile number.

My experience is the other way round, I am able to receive (SG mobile account, I just checked my wallet, the amount still there) but not sure can I use the fund as I am not going to China yet, so unable to try using.

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's not difficult to 实名认证 . just send your passport all those over.

no idea why so many singaporeans scare here and there. simple things don't want to try

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My experience is the other way round, I am able to receive (SG mobile account, I just checked my wallet, the amount still there) but not sure can I use the fund as I am not going to China yet, so unable to try using.

I suppose you have the wechat account setup earlier than 2018. If you can receive angpow, there should be no issue to spend the balance, same as my main wechat account which was set up some years ago. Initially I could receive and send angpow without any verification, later I had to add my SG bank card to continue using the angpow function. I did not use wechat pay during my June 2017 business trip to Shanghai to pay for Street vendors but I did use it successfully with my personal trip to Fujian in Dec 2018.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I am planning to buy from 1688 and 1688 payment needs either Alipay balance or China bank account. Figure my last option is to get daifu to pay for my 1688 purchases if it's feasible or gets a 1688 agent which will cost me additional fees and might defeat the purpose of buying from 1688.

I see. Aliexpress might be a viable alternative to 1688.

My wife used a bit of Aliexpress last time (along with Amazon USA) before switching to Taobao/Tall. She is now using 3rd party 淘宝集运 service through various wechat 团购群 in Singapore. Need to pay 7% GST but with lower sea shipment fee. Still worth it because official Taobao shipping service does not ship quite some product to Singapore.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.