What's your take about MB drivers.

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,811
Reaction score
1,109
Hmm,

more like a discussion well just a thought, should motherboard makers gear towards from having the traditional CDrom drivers to a portable USB thumbdrive? I mean look at it.. majority of the DIY customers, I doubt they will install any CDrom or DVD or BlueRay or etc device on their rigs. Games these days are downloaded ... and what end users or gamers need are just the reg key.

I believe most have already witness that case builders themselves are going towards a bay-less design. where you don't get to see any 3.25" or 5.25" bay at all.

well some might even argue that the driver is useless, most will get it from downloads. well while I was installing windows 10 on a ASrock mobo, the OS was installed without an issue, but there are no drivers for the Intel I219-V Ethernet. I am not able to download the driver online as I have no connection..
well am lucky to have a laptop to download that driver, but what if I do not have one?

hmm.. even though drivers that comes with your purchase might be useless, due to the fact that they are outdated and we might just throw the CDrom away. We if it's of a thumbdrive, at least we will reformat it and to reuse it again. 1st it will not be a waste 2nd Branding for mobo companies.. "marketing strategy"

well what's your take?
 

ItsmeagainhK

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
5,544
Reaction score
52
Changed my 6 year old sharkoon t28 casing to factual design mesfify c with no cd drivers without a single consideration. Think cd era is over already
 

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,811
Reaction score
1,109
Changed my 6 year old sharkoon t28 casing to factual design mesfify c with no cd drivers without a single consideration. Think cd era is over already

precisely.. thats why I find it no point for MB makers to give us the CD rom lol
 

ItsmeagainhK

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
5,544
Reaction score
52

precisely.. thats why I find it no point for MB makers to give us the CD rom lol

Maybe the older gen will still prefer cd. Then again, if they can diy a pc, pretty sure they can just go online to find the drivers...
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,803
Reaction score
30,403
Thumbdrive expensive. CD cheap.

And nowadays even handphone can download driver and connect via USB... Or use the handphone as wireless lan. Unless you use iphone, in which case you are an idiot.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,803
Reaction score
30,403
Rewind back to year 1995

You have to copy the cd-rom driver from the floppy disk and load it if you want to use the cd-rom to install Windows 95
 

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,811
Reaction score
1,109
Thumbdrive expensive. CD cheap.

And nowadays even handphone can download driver and connect via USB... Or use the handphone as wireless lan. Unless you use iphone, in which case you are an idiot.

lol... your quote super cute.. I like it lol.. ya I do understand there are ways and means.. I mean usb thumbdrive are more expensive but as a reputable mobo company.. that cost I think should be peanuts for them.

hmm, coming from a MNC company.. I believe they spend more more on advertisement and marketing as such. A 2GB thumbdrive as a marketing gimmick, I think is peanuts for them hmm.. oh well...

.. the cost might be higher but what does a 2gb thumbdrive cost them if doing in bulks..? in some reputable MNC companies (not talking about mobo company), they simply give away thumbdrives to their staff. i had mine like 2gb, 4gb and sometimes 8GB.. can tell these thumbdrives are of cheap material even with the company logo on them, but still usable..
 

KleoZy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
5,811
Reaction score
1,109
Rewind back to year 1995

You have to copy the cd-rom driver from the floppy disk and load it if you want to use the cd-rom to install Windows 95


this i do agree. a pain in the #sS lol.. well at least now can copy to USB thumbdrive when doing raid ^_^v ...

oh well. I guess it should be in no time that these motherboard makers will have to switch in some points.. is just like back in the Win 3.1 days... where you need 8 to 10 3.5" floppy disk to install one stupid HP printer lol..
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
You can get a USB DVD drive for less than $40.
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
The day USB drive replace driver CDROM will not arrive within 5 years or we might not even see this day.

A master stampler can last 5k to 10K disc, at 1200 discs per hour, the cost is less than 50 cents. No matter how cheap and fast the USB drive can be produce, you can't match the 3 seconds per disc speed of CD/DVD disc.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,181
Reaction score
17,443
Indeed the main issue with using dvd instead of USB drive is the speed at producing dvd. The USB drive cannot match.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,466
Reaction score
6,012
Usually driver in CD are outdated so best to download from website.
However with Modern OS like Win 10, most driver should be loaded.
You may need to wait a while until Win update all the missing driver.
However take note some driver maybe MS/Generic driver.
What I observe is even of OS managed to install most of the driver.
Driver like SATA, Chipset, Intel MEI and etc. Mobo driver you may need to install them.
 

Piezoq

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
0
Laptop drivers are usually included in windows update and Intel's driver update agent.

Motherboards usually have patchy driver support out of the box cos they are usually purchased at the release of new chipsets.

Hmm,

more like a discussion well just a thought, should motherboard makers gear towards from having the traditional CDrom drivers to a portable USB thumbdrive? I mean look at it.. majority of the DIY customers, I doubt they will install any CDrom or DVD or BlueRay or etc device on their rigs. Games these days are downloaded ... and what end users or gamers need are just the reg key.

I believe most have already witness that case builders themselves are going towards a bay-less design. where you don't get to see any 3.25" or 5.25" bay at all.

well some might even argue that the driver is useless, most will get it from downloads. well while I was installing windows 10 on a ASrock mobo, the OS was installed without an issue, but there are no drivers for the Intel I219-V Ethernet. I am not able to download the driver online as I have no connection..
well am lucky to have a laptop to download that driver, but what if I do not have one?

hmm.. even though drivers that comes with your purchase might be useless, due to the fact that they are outdated and we might just throw the CDrom away. We if it's of a thumbdrive, at least we will reformat it and to reuse it again. 1st it will not be a waste 2nd Branding for mobo companies.. "marketing strategy"

well what's your take?
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I think the drivers are provided on DVD as the manufacturers need to provide a "full package" when selling the good. I don't think they really care how they deliver it as long as they have already provided you with all that is required to make the motherboard work. You never know what kind of lawsuit people will file against them for missing drivers.
 

Rock-kun

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
991
Reaction score
1
I don't believe in motherboard drivers.

Every machine I ever built never required them; if the SATA, USB and Ethernet controllers do not function with the generic Windows or Linux drivers, I consider the board junk. The only thing I will make an exception for is the iGPU.
 

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
5,623
Reaction score
7
I prefer downloading individual driver from mobo homepage instead of depending on windows.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I don't believe in motherboard drivers.

Every machine I ever built never required them; if the SATA, USB and Ethernet controllers do not function with the generic Windows or Linux drivers, I consider the board junk. The only thing I will make an exception for is the iGPU.

I believe even Windows 7 don't offer full driver support. I recall having to install the USB 3.0 and LAN drivers each time when I was using Windows 7.
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,181
Reaction score
17,443
Basically the DVD drivers are just provided there for those who are doing an offline install, so they may not have the opportunity to connect to the internet yet to download the latest drivers.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,803
Reaction score
30,403
I don't believe in motherboard drivers.

Every machine I ever built never required them; if the SATA, USB and Ethernet controllers do not function with the generic Windows or Linux drivers, I consider the board junk. The only thing I will make an exception for is the iGPU.

Not if the the ethernet and USB are released after the OS.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
You need to install ethernet driver from CD or other source if OS is Windows 7.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top