When does smu conduct interviews and release application results?

Izumanyan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
840
Reaction score
114
Hi guys, took a forumer 's advice and applied for IS in SMU rather than continue with EEE in NTU. I also applied to change to Information Media in NTU..

Anyone know when SMU will conduct interviews if I'm shortlisted?
What kind of questions should I expect? If I successfully get a placing in the course, usually when will I know as I am also applying for disruption in NS. Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.
 

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
7,265
Reaction score
23
Hi as a former unsuccessful applicant for ISM @ SMU,

There is 1st round of interview, I don't remember much but there will be questions like:

How many bus stops are there in singapore? You are suppose to give a number and then explain how you derive at that number. This is probably to test your logicial thinking. Trust me there is no way to get this correct.
A lot of variations of those questions...don't even think of preparing for it just take it as it comes.

It was also give a scenario some business that want to implement IT system.
They will ask you to draw out a GUI of the system, menu/buttons(facebook like) all those and then later explain why you design it that way , why the facebook like button why the menu this/that way?

That is about it for 1st round...there are also 2nd round on other days not sure if it is for people who did ok for 1st round or what...

Anway for 2nd round they will ask you to learn scripting language like python. There will be a website for you to practice...so when you go to the 2nd round, it will be a small "code competition" but actually is just ask you to use whatever they ask you to learn and write simple methods to some basic looping. Aftwards they will ask you why you wrote your loop this way? What are your thoughts while writing that loops( LIke why use this loop instead of that loop). I think to test logical thinking...

Still i'm not sure of how they choose because I complete all my challenges on the 2nd round without error and i'm not selected...further more on that day there are only 3 participants! quite a few people probably did not attend.
 

Izumanyan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
840
Reaction score
114
Holy crap.... Sounds tough actually...

Coding is fine but the first round sounds tough..
 

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
7,265
Reaction score
23
First round those "How many blah blah are there" , don't worry about not getting it right...it is ok to be wrong.

Those people just want to know your thought process. Oh course getting a closer number might impress them but really there is almost no way to get it even close.

I can ask you how many lamp post are there in singapore?, how many litres of paint needed to paint [insert building name].

For the GUI is quite easy , draw out and they will ask you to present to everyone(2 interviewers and about 4-5 ppl like you) why you did it this way.
 

Izumanyan

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
840
Reaction score
114
Okay hope I get a chance to be interviewed . Anyone know cGPA of 3.4 got chance?
 

MAMAMIAZ

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I have been called up for an interview this coming Saturday 2 April. May i know if there is anyone of you going? So scared and excited cos i screwed up interviews last year :(
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top