Where to buy laptops from

ChocoBoco

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I think generally laptops are pretty expensive in Singapore. But I wanted to hear from the forum where's the best place to buy.

I understand that IT fairs no longer price their laptops lower than MSRP, and you really have to bargain to get a good deal.

Is buying from shopee / Lazada / Amazon worth while? But there's a warranty issue right.

Thank you!
 

tutonic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
10
Why is there a warranty issue? You'll get a receipt like how you'd get one if you bought it from Courts or wherever, and can then register for warranty as per usual. With regards to price, sometimes they're slightly cheaper, but not necessarily.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,642
Reaction score
3,150
Why is there a warranty issue? You'll get a receipt like how you'd get one if you bought it from Courts or wherever, and can then register for warranty as per usual. With regards to price, sometimes they're slightly cheaper, but not necessarily.

Not all brands got international warranty
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Why is there a warranty issue? You'll get a receipt like how you'd get one if you bought it from Courts or wherever, and can then register for warranty as per usual. With regards to price, sometimes they're slightly cheaper, but not necessarily.

Now a day, some shops do parallel importer (some import laptop without windows license and load windows locally).
So do watch out as agent will not give warranty to it.
 

tutonic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
10
Now a day, some shops do parallel importer (some import laptop without windows license and load windows locally).
So do watch out as agent will not give warranty to it.

Not all brands got international warranty

What I mean is buy from local sellers in Singapore. 99% of them have physical shops, but also sell stuff online. If you're using the desktop browser, go to Lazada, search for any laptop you want. On the right hand side, you can see if there is warranty available for the product or not.

1) https://www.lazada.sg/products/acer-swift-3-sf315-52g-56ud-156-fhdi5-8250u8gb-ddr4512gb-ssdnvidia-mx150w10-gold-i269448234-s418494065.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.51.4f973c540QFZcA&search=1

2) https://www.lazada.sg/products/xiaomi-mi-laptop-air-pro-156-inch-notebook-computer-i7-8550u-cpu-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-gddr5-fingerprint-windows-10-export-i150092760-s186068206.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.1.53a56b64h6IXg0&search=1

The first link, for example, listed 2 years local manufacturer warranty, while the 2nd link (the Xiaomi Laptop) explicitly states Warranty not available. Once the purchase is done, and you've received the product, just use Lazada browser messaging system and ask them for the invoice for warranty purposes. They'll email it to you. That's what I've been doing for the past 2-3 years, every time I get any electronics product from Lazada. So far no issue at all with warranty registration or getting them to email/send me the invoice. Just be smart about it ah; don't buy anything from a seller who has low seller rating and stuff ah. All those can see on the right hand side of the listing. If you more kiasu, can even chat with them first lor, and ask if warranty available or not.

The main point I want to put across is that buying online nowadays is quite safe, provided you buy from legit websites. But if you even more kiasu, like I said, most places have a physical store that they'll list on their product listing description page, so you can even head on down there yourself to buy lor.
 
Last edited:

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
8,692
Reaction score
12
Hi guys, I think generally laptops are pretty expensive in Singapore. But I wanted to hear from the forum where's the best place to buy.

I understand that IT fairs no longer price their laptops lower than MSRP, and you really have to bargain to get a good deal.

Is buying from shopee / Lazada / Amazon worth while? But there's a warranty issue right.

Thank you!
Mine was either from Qoo10 or Amazon. Most of them are export set since sg don't result carry the models I want. If have issue and need warranty claim, can always just mail it back to seller(let's say amazon).

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT
 

ckkoh1

Senior Member
Joined
May 12, 2000
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
0
I know that Dell, Asus, and Lenovo provide full international warranty, meaning if you buy them overseas, you can service it in singapore. However, be careful about buying laptops from Amazon, as they are an exception.
 

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
8,692
Reaction score
12
Mailed a razer blade Stealth back to amazon before and it cost around $120 using speed post. Mail back to SG was free. Better than me going back to razer repair at ubi(super ulu and inconvenient since I stay at west side) because I went there once to fix my razer blade 14 and I paid $30 or $35 courier fee to have it sent back to me after repair.

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
I know that Dell, Asus, and Lenovo provide full international warranty, meaning if you buy them overseas, you can service it in singapore. However, be careful about buying laptops from Amazon, as they are an exception.

Lenovo only Thinkpad series is international warranty. Rest is regional only. This is for laptop purchase locally. If purchase in USA, warranty is applicable for USA and Canada only.
 

daveteo88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2017
Messages
10,371
Reaction score
2,193
Hi guys, I think generally laptops are pretty expensive in Singapore. But I wanted to hear from the forum where's the best place to buy.

I understand that IT fairs no longer price their laptops lower than MSRP, and you really have to bargain to get a good deal.

Is buying from shopee / Lazada / Amazon worth while? But there's a warranty issue right.

Thank you!
Depends on the specs. I saw laptops selling for below $1000. Not really that expensive in Singapore...
 

paamhii

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2017
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Mailed a razer blade Stealth back to amazon before and it cost around $120 using speed post. Mail back to SG was free. Better than me going back to razer repair at ubi(super ulu and inconvenient since I stay at west side) because I went there once to fix my razer blade 14 and I paid $30 or $35 courier fee to have it sent back to me after repair.

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT

What forwarder or agent do you use to buy laptop from amazon? Do you have to pay gst?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top