Which Direction Will Property Prices Go ?

NiShiZhu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to time a market crash. It's also not possible to predict the extent of the crash. But crashes do not wipe out value entirely. So the question also morphs into one of how high did the market climb and at what point of the climb did one enter? If you enter early, the crash is not going to affect you as bad as entering late. Not entering at all and you might end up purchasing at a value not too different from pre-crash. Then you gotta ask yourself whether all the lost time was worth it at all anyway. Moral of the story is in any investment, it is hard to time the market. Particularly so for property, which tends to be illiquid. Go in with eyes wide open and make a rational decision at the purchase time, accepting the risk of loss as well.
Hehe well said, even now crash by 10%-15%, at best is go back to 2017/2018 price.
Again, was it really worth the long wait in the first place if one truly needs a home. :D

TouringSG

Reaction score
Yah last time took 4y to build a 99y condo, now 5y. The private LH owners are the one most impacted. But well to be fair developers also facing margin suppression, foreign worker also lock up in quarantine last year..guess everyone has to share the pain
Somehow in our technologically advanced and innovative country, we take 4-5 yrs to build something that others only take weeks to do...

scanner007

Reaction score
Hehe well said, even now crash by 10%-15%, at best is go back to 2017/2018 price.
Again, was it really worth the long wait in the first place if one truly needs a home. :D
Indeed, it's the same theory for stock investment. No one can time the market. The correction is only going back to some price in the previous timeline. It will almost be impossible to drop below the previous height unless the property/stocks is lousy and wrong entry point/price. :ROFLMAO:

Inflation is our friend.

daheigou999

Reaction score
Your points are valid, but unfortunately the government's interest is to help businesses over middle-class home-owning individuals. People who buy private properties and are particular about these matters you talked about are likely to fall within this category. The rich don't care about these as their lifeline is in their businesses. The poor also are not affected by such property-related matters. If any sort of relief or assistance will be granted to buyers, it would more likely be for first-timer/young couples who are waiting for their BTOs as that forms the largest base and are also considered as the future of Singapore. But who knows? All depends on the government's budget also. But to help out private condo owners is likely to create a lot of discontentment in the large population because taxpayers money is being used to subsidise investments of a very small segment in society. End of the day, private condo owners are not a lot compared to HDB.
No need to pity over-leveraged condo buyers.
Indeed, it's the same theory for stock investment. No one can time the market. The correction is only going back to some price in the previous timeline. It will almost be impossible to drop below the previous height unless the property/stocks is lousy and wrong entry point/price. :ROFLMAO:

Inflation is our friend.
There are LH considerations if one’s property is <30 years remaining, but I think it’s too early a problem for most people.

normoh

Reaction score
Somehow in our technologically advanced and innovative country, we take 4-5 yrs to build something that others only take weeks to do...

Cannot say liddat la, to get this built in that time requires land roughly 8X for pre-febrication, staging, logistics and manpower which we lack. And also takes time to prepare all the items. So the project can actually take months if not years just to prepare.

scanner007

Reaction score
No need to pity over-leveraged condo buyers.

There are LH considerations if one’s property is <30 years remaining, but I think it’s too early a problem for most people.
Yeah indeed, most condo have not hit this part yet, so I excluded from the consideration for now.

azeris10

Reaction score
Why will prices crash tho? What caused prices to “crash” in 2013?

TeamUSA

Reaction score
Looks like this year private will rise 8% to 10%

Looks like this year private will rise 8% to 10%.
Erm, if that happens government will impose measures like massive hike of property tax for non-owner occupied properties or imposition of capital gains tax. It is politically not sustainable.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
somemore last year the foreign buyers didnt even have chance to come in, and locals already driven a 5-10% increase in property, imagine when borders reopen in 1-2 years, there will be a segment of foreign buyers who dont mind paying the 10%+ foreign buyer stamp duty, cant imagine how will the prices go when that happen.

holasingapura

Master Member
Reaction score
somemore last year the foreign buyers didnt even have chance to come in, and locals already driven a 5-10% increase in property, imagine when borders reopen in 1-2 years, there will be a segment of foreign buyers who dont mind paying the 10%+ foreign buyer stamp duty, cant imagine how will the prices go when that happen.

Hong Kong residents buy US$1.3 billion worth of homes in London after UK opened path to citizenship in July​

https://www.scmp.com/business/artic...13-billion-worth-homes-london-after-uk-opened

Borders closed? It does not matter.

holasingapura

Master Member
Reaction score

Over 50% of units at Irwell Hill Residences condo sold on launch weekend​

https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...irwell-hill-residences-sold-on-launch-weekend

About 80 per cent of the buyers are Singaporeans, with the remainder comprising permanent residents and foreigners from China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, UK and others, CDL said on Sunday.

Borders closed? Where did the foreigners come from? Borders open? Foreigners can also sell more? It is not that simple. I am also not sure. But it is always good to be optimistic and happy, especially after just making a purchase. :)

By the way, borders are not closed tightly. Flights to and from US/ UK/ China etc are still operating. Our rich foreign friends can still come and snap up units in your development, just need a 14 day quarantine.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hong Kong residents buy US$1.3 billion worth of homes in London after UK opened path to citizenship in July​

https://www.scmp.com/business/artic...13-billion-worth-homes-london-after-uk-opened

Borders closed? It does not matter.
there will always be a segment of foreign buyer who can buy off plan, but i am sure there is another segment who prefer to buy onsite, nett nett we have yet to see the real purchasing power of the foreign buyers, currently 80%+ is driven by locals

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Over 50% of units at Irwell Hill Residences condo sold on launch weekend​

https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...irwell-hill-residences-sold-on-launch-weekend

About 80 per cent of the buyers are Singaporeans, with the remainder comprising permanent residents and foreigners from China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, UK and others, CDL said on Sunday.

Borders closed? Where did the foreigners come from? Borders open? Foreigners can also sell more? It is not that simple. I am also not sure. But it is always good to be optimistic and happy, especially after just making a purchase. :)

By the way, borders are not closed tightly. Flights to and from US/ UK/ China etc are still operating. Our rich foreign friends can still come and snap up units in your development, just need a 14 day quarantine.
this i agree, i didnt mean nett zero demand from foreign buyers, i recall news report 80%+ of transactions were from local buyers - "suppressed" foreign demand will be more accurate point i was trying to make

Historically foreign buyer demand was around 34% in peak of 2011. 2013-2018 foreign buyer ratio was 23-29%. For 2021 i am not sure maybe 10%+

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

stackedhome article have data on the ratio of foreign buyers over 10years+. Credit goes to them for the chart.

Strait times articles in jan 21 shared foreign buyers % is at record 17 year low in 2020.

Just sharing what i read, no subjective bias

TeamUSA

Reaction score

stackedhome article have data on the ratio of foreign buyers over 10years+. Credit goes to them for the chart.

Strait times articles in jan 21 shared foreign buyers % is at record 17 year low in 2020.

Just sharing what i read, no subjective bias
Oh their "foreigners" include PRs as well, no wonder the % is so high. Non-PR foreigners would only be around 5-6% a year based on URA statistics.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.