Why are Sporeans selfish with donations?

thumb_tack

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi fellow netizens,

With the giving season around the corner, I came to a harsh realization yesterday - Sporeans are selfish with their donations to the less fortunate. Its either we do not care, or think there is not enough money to go around. I was wondering if you netizens feel the same way?

Also, with more charities seeking donations during this season, I realized that most of them don't actually tell us what the donations are used for. With all the debacle going around about donations recently, would we still donate to the less fortunate?
 

tminus

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
8,579
Reaction score
2
Gst is to help the poor

They collected so much money from gst why the poor still need help? Where did the money intended for the poor went?
 

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
13,525
Reaction score
0
Really? We gave around $1B in FY2012. That's not a bad amount to be honest
 

merlot6230

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
1,565
Reaction score
544
I don't think so...check the previous past example..esp the wan na event.

Never occur in other countries....in fact, I think Singaporean are tooooo generous when helping the needy one.
 

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,435
Reaction score
76
A landscape study on donations in Singapore

With favourable policies and increasing interest in the local philanthropic scene, donations to Singapore charities have increased significantly over the past decade. Total donations to charities with Institution of a Public Character (IPC) status grew at an average rate of 11 percent per annum, from S$381 million in 2001 to S$776 million in 2010. To better understand this phenomenon, we conducted a landscape study on donations in Singapore.

Donations to IPCs are made by corporate and individual donors. Our study showed that although corporations are the major donors of IPCs, the relative contribution of individual giving is increasing. In 2001, 22 percent of donations to IPCs were made by individuals. In 2010, individual donations increased to 35 percent. From 2001 to 2010, individual donations grew at an annual rate of 17 percent per annum, a higher rate than that of corporate donations, which grew at nine percent.

Our study also gives us a better insight into individual donors in Singapore. First, we found that individual giving tends to be more resilient than corporate giving. The Global Financial Crisis (GFC) in 2008 caused both individual and corporate giving to dip substantially. But, post-GFC, individual giving recovered faster than corporate giving. From 2008 to 2010, individual giving registered an annual growth rate of three percent while corporate giving declined by three percent per annum. This suggests that while corporate giving is muted by the global uncertainty, individual donors are more than willing to pick up the slack.

Second, we found individual donations to be closely associated with economic growth. Interestingly, as individual giving increases, its channel of giving also changes. We analysed the total funds raised by Community Chest by Singapore’s GDP. This ratio declined over the past five years. Our analysis suggests that individual donors are becoming more sensitive to the charitable causes they support and prefer to give directly to charities.

Third, our study showed that per capita individual giving is increasing. While one may argue that total individual donations have increased due to the growth in population, our analysis points to another factor. Analysing total individual giving by the corresponding year population, we find that per capita individual giving is on an uptrend (see chart below). We infer that Singapore donors are becoming more generous and are giving more. It seems that even the non-residents are supporting local charities.


We credit the growth of individual donations to the favourable tax policy in Singapore. Studies have shown that tax policies are effective in promoting individual giving. Tax shields reduce the tax price of giving and motivate donors to give more. In Singapore, donors will receive a 250 percent tax deduction for donations to IPCs. This benefit is very attractive to donors, especially the high net-worth individuals. Universities in Singapore are some of the major beneficiaries. Besides receiving tax shield, donations to universities attract matching grants from the Singapore Government, which further decreases the price of giving. However, we note that the reach of this tax benefit is limited as only 21 percent of the population in Singapore pays income tax.

The landscape study points to the growing importance and contribution of individual giving in Singapore’s philanthropic scene. This is a timely reminder for local charities to scale up their engagements with individual donors. We foresee such endeavours to be rewarding in the near future
 

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,217
Reaction score
206
1. most ordinary singaporeans are struggling to survive, how to save others when we cant even save ourselves?

2. Its the job of the government. GST, U save vouchers, all those Transfer Payments, Robin Hood schemes. Don let PAP outsource their problem to the citizens

3. Moral Hazard. Lack of transparency in funds utilisation. Many recipients dont look very grateful either.

4. Many people donate just to add on their karma portfolio
 

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,435
Reaction score
76
1. most ordinary singaporeans are struggling to survive, how to save others when we cant even save ourselves?

2. Its the job of the government. GST, U save vouchers, all those Transfer Payments, Robin Hood schemes. Don let PAP outsource their problem to the citizens

3. Moral Hazard. Lack of transparency in funds utilisation. Many recipients dont look very grateful either.

4. Many people donate just to add on their karma portfolio

2, is wrong. You are confusing charity with welfare. The government does not do charity, but it is supposed provide welfare. Transfer schemes etc are not meant to fund 'charity" programs.
 

guilingkwek

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Hi fellow netizens,

With the giving season around the corner, I came to a harsh realization yesterday - Sporeans are selfish with their donations to the less fortunate. Its either we do not care, or think there is not enough money to go around. I was wondering if you netizens feel the same way?

Also, with more charities seeking donations during this season, I realized that most of them don't actually tell us what the donations are used for. With all the debacle going around about donations recently, would we still donate to the less fortunate?

For me, I don't mind donating. I have more than enough for my basic needs. But I'm not giving any to many charities (think T. T. Durai). Only a select few that I feel I could trust. Maybe some singaporeans also share my sentiments thus perceived as selfish? :spin:
 

aptget

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 6, 2001
Messages
8,427
Reaction score
1
Hi fellow netizens,

With the giving season around the corner, I came to a harsh realization yesterday - Sporeans are selfish with their donations to the less fortunate. Its either we do not care, or think there is not enough money to go around. I was wondering if you netizens feel the same way?

Also, with more charities seeking donations during this season, I realized that most of them don't actually tell us what the donations are used for. With all the debacle going around about donations recently, would we still donate to the less fortunate?

becos nong nong time ago, SOMEONE said $500K is PEANUTS
plus...There's a whole bunch of people asking for $$$ disguised as monks
plus...There are CHARITY shows on Ch8 every 4 months or so
plus...Salary not getting any higher
plus...Every thing is expensive and shooting up, Bus fare, Taxi Fare, ERP, Road Tax, fffffffkkk EVERY THING.
plus...Ask the ministers to donate their Million Dollar salaries !!!
 

guilingkwek

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
becos nong nong time ago, SOMEONE said $500K is PEANUTS
plus...There's a whole bunch of people asking for $$$ disguised as monks
plus...There are CHARITY shows on Ch8 every 4 months or so
plus...Salary not getting any higher
plus...Every thing is expensive and shooting up, Bus fare, Taxi Fare, ERP, Road Tax, fffffffkkk EVERY THING.
plus...Ask the ministers to donate their Million Dollar salaries !!!

Edit: $600k peanuts, not $500k.
 

bluestrike

Master Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
0
For me, donating is ok. BUT the thing that piss me off is that they put a certain min sum of money to be donated. Why should they dictate how much to donate?

True the min is not that it is not within my means but I just do not like it when they do this.

I remember a few years back when I went for my ICT, before we leave, the S1 branch ask us to "donate" before we can collect our booklet if not they will not do the outgoing process. And that each of us have to come up with $XX amt so they can meet the budget set aside for the unit. After hearing this, I total lose it and bang tables. After that I stop donating. It just take one incident to make me feel so dishearten with the way charities are run over here.
 

Inzaghi009

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1
Erm, 1st there is NKF saga and the gold tap, then Ming Yi and his monks, then Kong Hee and his horse face.

not forgetting fake monks and those who take a big cut from the charitable money.

FYI, Singaporeans used to be kind and charitable.
 
Last edited:

bukitimah

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
49
Reaction score
1
It is deep into us Singaporean that we grew up to be self independent. You don't get much help and you just to rely on your own for most things. Therefore you also don't think of others. Not the compassionate type.

The next big thing is there are many bad examples. However, if these people can generate good marketing ploys, it will still generate interest. Most importantly, people like to be associated with trendy lifestyle. Education from young is the only way out.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
1. most ordinary singaporeans are struggling to survive, how to save others when we cant even save ourselves?

2. Its the job of the government. GST, U save vouchers, all those Transfer Payments, Robin Hood schemes. Don let PAP outsource their problem to the citizens

3. Moral Hazard. Lack of transparency in funds utilisation. Many recipients dont look very grateful either.

4. Many people donate just to add on their karma portfolio

You are right, most are struggling to buy expensive hand phone ! Hope one day we do not need these extra schemes to buy hand phones!
 

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
82,860
Reaction score
7,413
I used to give more but reduced gradually over the years

Despite govt increasing gst to help the poor, 60% voted in favour
So I figure people are happy the govt has done their job

No poor people in SG, less need to give
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
I used to give more but reduced gradually over the years

Despite govt increasing gst to help the poor, 60% voted in favour
So I figure people are happy the govt has done their job

No poor people in SG, less need to give

I agreed no real poor in Singapore.
 

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2003
Messages
6,470
Reaction score
18
There's too much donation and fund-raising going on. Every weekend's flag day. President's star charity, Catholic Welfare Services donation draw tickets, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc etc etc. Singapore's such a small place. I don't see that many donation seekers in Thailand, Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan, etc.
 

Takechan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
10,386
Reaction score
6
I avoid those that pressure me to donate. I'm not talking about those school kids coming around with their tin cans, or those aunties that walk around selling tissue. Those are perfectly fine- in fact, I applaud them for working hard. I'm referring to those aggressive "volunteers" that commonly go around asking for a fixed sum. I say that because I've been in that role before.. when I see people donate unwillingly, I felt that the underlying meaning of donation was lost.

Still, please don't come to a conclusion that Singaporeans are selfish. Sometimes, the people you see passing by those poor elderly might have another greater struggle back at home.. or they could have already donated somewhere else.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top