Why today hdd is still expensive?

incesto

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
1,576
Reaction score
0
I remember 3 years ago buying WD 2TB black in akiba at 10,000 yen ~ $122 SGD. And then the Thailand flood came and price rocketed. Today when i check the price again. I am surprised seeing a WD 2tb black is still at ~ $200.

How come price never go down? Thailand factory is still flooding?
 

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
May 3, 2001
Messages
139,114
Reaction score
17,416
I remember 3 years ago buying WD 2TB black in akiba at 10,000 yen ~ $122 SGD. And then the Thailand flood came and price rocketed. Today when i check the price again. I am surprised seeing a WD 2tb black is still at ~ $200.

How come price never go down? Thailand factory is still flooding?

I dun think it was ever $122.

Anyway, now the sweet spot is in 3TB or 4TB already with the lowest GB/$ amongst the WD Blacks.
 

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
35,140
Reaction score
1,245
Sorry OT a bit.

I am actually interested to buy the cheapest 3.5inch 2TB hard disk.

What do you guys recommend?
 

junialum

Master Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,579
Reaction score
19
It could be because they did not allow supply to return to pre flood numbers. Similar to the case with RAM.
 

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
18,905
Reaction score
33
because its clearly more profitable that way?

not like u have a choice whether to buy
 

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
35,140
Reaction score
1,245
wd green 2tb ? $105 i think
wah thats still quite high.

i haven been updating myself with HDD prices but i thought they would be below 100 by now for 2TB.

Think I will wait longer.
 

lobo76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
0
you welcome to get 4 X 1 TB but in this case you will need 4 SATA ports...
which one is more impt?

Well, my 'needs' doesn't require me access all 4TB of stuff at the same time. I can live with 1 HDD dock with multiple HDDs. ;)
 

rerear

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
2,055
Reaction score
20
HDD dock better so that can hot-swap those normal internal HDD, or go for 2.5 portables for convenience and ease of storage?

BTW can someone recommend a good HDD dock?
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
From memory, I think Toshiba isn't that good, but I'm not too sure.

And yes, HDD prices doesn't seem to have gone down. I purchased a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for $72 in July 2011, before the flood. Went to RMA it last month due to bad sectors, then I was contemplating buying a new HDD. A similar 7200rpm HDD costs $78 today :s22:
 

Uno_Hu

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
2,454
Reaction score
131
I wonder this coming pc show got any price different for WD red.
Why is WD red popular for NAS what about its rpm speed?
What about alternative like
Seagate NAS HDD 3TB SATA 6GB NCQ 64 MB Cache Bare Drive ST3000VN000
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top