Why VA Gaming Monitors Kinda Suck...

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Recommended a friend in the UK to hoot U4320Q for productivity. He get liao tell me the 43" 60hz IPS more smooth than his existing 27" 144hz VA :s13:
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,847
Reaction score
30,430
VA sucks for movies too. Just notice any screen scrolling in dark scenes.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
There are pros and cons with each type of screen technology, so while IPS is better in some areas, things like contrast is still better on a VA panel as an example. Also, you need to be aware that the cost is very different as well. I've used the Xiaomi 34 inch for quite sometime, and while I admit it is not as good as an IPS for my use cases, it is very attractively priced and works fine most of the time. So my recommendation is to buy what is within your budget and best suits your needs.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
i saw a single video of VA monitors scrolling in dark mode and instantly bought an IPS.


Agree it looks like a problem. But in this example, your eyes can't possibly keep up with this rate of scrolling with so much fonts. Most people will scroll and stop before they start reading. Even if you try to read with the screen scrolling at the same time, it is usually done at a slower scroll speed. I've owned a couple of VA panels before, and I certainly don't feel any problems when reading. And I will happily get a VA based display over a TN one.
 

jasonwsc

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2013
Messages
415
Reaction score
147
Agree with the video. Most VA panels are absolutely terrible for black smearing, it is very obvious in certain situations like when you have a black object on a white background. There's a reason why they are cheaper than IPS.

VAs are fine for TV, if not slightly better due to contrast ratio. But not gaming monitors.

Not sure about the new Samsung G series VA, since I haven't seen them in person before.
 

Lynben

Banned
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
607
IPS is alwasy the best. Just that it used to be very expensive and stuck at 60Hz (higher refresh rates super expensive).

But things have changed and now IPS is pretty much everywhere and prices have come down significantly. This also renders TN mostly obsolete.
 

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
20,364
Reaction score
10,224

elmariachi

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
6,352
Reaction score
1,507
made a same topic also with gpgt.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/monitor-image-smearing-test.6491929/
still i will use VA, i work in darkened place, save electricity. the VA smearing is not as bad as IPS glow. the glow is always on with dark scenes, while smearing you need to drag dark areas fast to see it.

the higher VA contrast also give more 3d depth to colours :o
I also much prefer VA for my usage.
Colors really pop out and blacks are nice and deep.
Gaming is such a pleasure on my Odyssey G7.

I think for other work IPS is the way to go but having countless of panels, you cannot escape the IPS backlight bleed which varies heavily from brands to models.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
I have never ever bought a VA panel in my life before. CRT jump to IPS
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,076
Reaction score
1,769
I've been using a VA for years and couldn't be happier. The color saturation and deep blacks more than make up for any shortcomings of the VA panel.

If I have any complaint, it's that the Z35 refuses to up-lorry even after so many years. I can hear an Alienware AW3423DW calling to me. :D
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top