Will S3 get OTA Kit Kat Upgrade?

sohcheekeong

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
682
Reaction score
1
Anybody knows?

I upgrade my S3 to 4.3 and battery drain problem is bad. Thought must as well just move to Kit Kat to see if the problem is solved.

If no OTA, maybe root it or something. Phone almost two years old no more warranty.
 

kk_xiii

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Try to delete your phone memory... It will help on the batt... Mine after 4.3 update, I delete my device memory too... So far very good. Hope that helps
 

RequiemDK

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
400
Reaction score
0
The S3 is indeed slated for the KitKat upgrade but we don't know when that will happen. Probably in about 2 to 3 months. Don't be too happy about KitKat. Google introduced a bug with the Android kernel with KitKat that causes kernel wake locks and battery drain for many devices and that hasn't been resolved. They haven't even tracked it down yet. We're all waiting for them to fix the darn thing on the Nexus 5. Then Samsung should be able to trickle down the fixes to our Galaxy devices.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
The S3 is indeed slated for the KitKat upgrade but we don't know when that will happen. Probably in about 2 to 3 months. Don't be too happy about KitKat. Google introduced a bug with the Android kernel with KitKat that causes kernel wake locks and battery drain for many devices and that hasn't been resolved. They haven't even tracked it down yet. We're all waiting for them to fix the darn thing on the Nexus 5. Then Samsung should be able to trickle down the fixes to our Galaxy devices.

I'm on Kitkat on my S4 and I don't have the battery drain problem... so it might be specific to the Nexus devices... anyway, so far none of the S4 users in this forum complain about battery drain... the major complaint is the loss of access of the SD card through an app...

As for S3 update to Kitkat... I'm waiting for it too... but it might not happen... haiz... 4.3 is quite bad for the S3 apparently... but there is one user who says that there is a second update and the battery drain issue has been fixed. Need to see more users feedback before I update my S3... I wonder what happens to brand new S3s that come with 4.3 installed by default... I wonder if the battery drain issue is still there or not... cos I'm thinking of getting another S3...
 

RequiemDK

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
400
Reaction score
0
I'm on Kitkat on my S4 and I don't have the battery drain problem... so it might be specific to the Nexus devices... anyway, so far none of the S4 users in this forum complain about battery drain... the major complaint is the loss of access of the SD card through an app...

As for S3 update to Kitkat... I'm waiting for it too... but it might not happen... haiz... 4.3 is quite bad for the S3 apparently... but there is one user who says that there is a second update and the battery drain issue has been fixed. Need to see more users feedback before I update my S3... I wonder what happens to brand new S3s that come with 4.3 installed by default... I wonder if the battery drain issue is still there or not... cos I'm thinking of getting another S3...

The battery drain issue is affecting my Note 3 also leh :( The battery life has gone from being damn good to just... good I guess. Still lasts longer than my other phones, but it still pisses me off a bit. Lol. I don't think it's Samsung who's responsible for this issue though. The problem seems to be with the Android kernel according to the hug reports over at Google, and it's widespread enough to warrant rumors about a 4.4.3 version of Android.
 

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,747
Reaction score
0
Doubt there is Kitkat for S3. Ima got a S3 too, did lots of hwk before I root and cyanogemod it.

Came across an article that shows most/or all if each Samsung model usually have 2 cycles of updates in their life cycle. Currently S3 got 4.2 and 4.3 update, doubt there will be 4.4.

I would suggest just root and use cyanogenmod to get kitkat. Makes the S3 flies in term of smoothness, performance, customization and battery. If you prefer the easier way, can use cyanogenmod installer to root for you and get pure android 4.3. Just download, install and connect will do, the installer will do the rest.

All of which are muchhhhh better than Touchwiz!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top