Wireless IP Camera thread

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Waiting for your FR on the new D-link cam! Ashame tat it ain't IR enable.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Waiting for your FR on the new D-link cam! Ashame tat it ain't IR enable.

Actually, the DCS-5635 is IR capable. It just doesn't have the built-in IR LEDs like the SMCWIPCAM-PZ and would thus require a separate IR illuminator.

I did some very preliminary testing by setting up the camera to work with my wireless network (DIR-655 for now). The image seems to be the best, offering the best resolution of all my wireless IP cameras. The H.264 encoding seems to work very well.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Group Test: DIR-5635, SMCWIPCAM-PZ, DIR-6620G and WVC200

Despite my 2 kids and my wife being sick, I managed to do some group test of the 4 camers: the new Dlink DIR-5635, the SMC SMCWIPCAM-PZ, the Dlink DIR-6620G and the Linksys WVC200. Like the previous test, my focus is on the camera hardware rather than the accompanying software. In fact, I only look at the images of the cameras given the various lighting conditions.

Here's the picture of the wireless IP cameras. From left to right, the DIR-5635, the SMCWIPCAM-PZ, the DIR-6620G and the WVC200.
5y9mpf.jpg

Instead of placing the cameras on the same spot in front of some objects, I lined them up side by side. While this may gives each camera a slightly different perspective, I can actually switch on all cameras and have several browsers opened simultaneously to snap the picture.
29ol6q0.jpg

I'll post the rest of the pictures tomorrow.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
For the first test, I turn on the room lights (3 18W PLC) as well as a table lamp. This represents the situation where there are ample light.

Here's the image from the WVC200:
eb97ad.jpg

From the DIR-6620G:
dfdoja.jpg

From the SMCWIPCAM-PZ:
33trm0g.jpg

And from the new DIR-5635:
b4gfac.jpg

Images from all 4 cameras show quite good colour vibrancy. WVC200 seems to show the best colour, but this is more because it didn't get the full reflection from the table lamp. DIR-6620G seems to be overexposed, but this is more because of the relected light. For this test, I would consider all 4 cameras to be on par.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
For the next test, I switched off the table lamp and leave only the room lights on. The room is still fairly lit, but the objects are now less bright.

Image from the WVC200:
2zitw79.jpg

Image from the DIR-6620G:
2cnv28x.jpg

Image from the SMCWIPCAM-PZ:
282n9f8.jpg

Image from the DIR-5635:
qs396q.jpg

The best image is coming from the DIR-5635. Though slightly washed out compared to the previous, the colours vibrancy is still there. In fact, the image here is less overexposed compared to earlier, and this is because there is no more strong reflected light from the table lamp.

The second best image is from the WVC200. As noted in the previous group test, even through the WVC200 is my oldest (i.e. first) wireless IP camera, it is holding up in the group test very well.

The DIR-6620G appears rather washed out. In its defence, the DIR-6620G has quite a few manual tuning options, and I didn't do any in this image test. I'm sure I should be able to get a better image quality if I try to 'tune' it (e.g. adjusting the iris etc.).

The SMCWIPCAM-PZ image is the most disappointing. Despite the room being fairly bright, the image from the SMC is washed out. As noted in the earlier group test, the SMCWIPCAM-PZ seems to have switched to a low-light mode fairly early. The image is almost in B/W, and you can see some strong reflection. The reflection is probably from the IR LED from the SMCWIPCAM-PZ.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
For the next test, I switched off the room light, leaving the light from the toilet (one 18W PLC) on and the toilet door open. The toilet is directly in front of the objects, This is a low light situation.

Here's the image from the WVC200:
11qgsqt.jpg

Here's the image from the DIR-6620G:
2mzcp5l.jpg

Here's from the SMCWIPCAM-PZ:
110viiw.jpg

And here's the image from the DIR-5635:
105cwp4.jpg

The WVC200 and DIR-6620G still shows some colours in the image, but both images are already quite dark. The DIR-6620G can still see the distance object, but you have to look hard for it. The SMCWIPCAM-PZ and the DIR-5635 has now switched to B/W, and the bright image is a result of the 7 IR LEDs on the SMCWIPCAM-PZ. The DIR-5635 seems to be benefitting from the SMC's LED.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
A fellow forumer has thought that the SMC IR LEDs may not be as powerful as a dedicated IR illuminator. For the next series of tests, I wanted to test this conjecture. As such, I moved the objects to some 4 metres away. First, I leave the room lights on.

Image from the WVC200:
qzox6o.jpg

DIR-6620G image:
33kcb5v.jpg

Image from SMCWIPCAM-PZ:
j95v09.jpg

And from the DIR-5635:
2rrvy11.jpg

The best image is coming from the DIR-5635. In addition to the colour vibrancy, the image is also the sharpest. Considering that the DIR-5635 is almost S$1.5K, this is something I would expect. The SMCWIPCAM-PZ image is the next sharpest, followed by the WVC200. The DIR-6620G image is the worst, but I suspect it is because I didn't do any tuning and left everything as is.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Next, I switched off the room lights. I also didn't switch on my IR illuminator.

Image from WVC200:
k39aie.jpg

Image from DIR-6620G:
k39aie.jpg

Image from SMCWIPCAM-PZ:
52jo8y.jpg

The SMCWIPCAM-PZ has a Nightmode. Switching it on gives a better image:
vysegh.jpg

The DIR-5635:
2ikyvzo.jpg

Only the SMCWIPCAM-PZ and the DIR-5635 are capable of showing any image. The DIR-5635 is benefitting from the 7 IR LEDs on the SMCWIPCAM-PZ. To prove this, I take a paper and cover up the SMCWIPCAM-PZ. This is the image I got from the DIR-5635:
21jd4rs.jpg

The SMCWIPCAM-PZ seems to be the winner when there is no light. Without Nightmode, the image is clear enough. With Nightmode switched on, the image is even better, showing more objects and background. The DIR-5635 is a close second. Though it doesn't have its own IR LEDs, it could benefit from the ones on the SMCWIPCAM-PZ. The WVC200, which is also IR capable, doesn't seem to be able to benefit from the SMC IR LEDs.... at least not when the objects are a distance away.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
For the last test, I switched on the IR illuminator. I bought this from a shop in SLS (cost about S$100).
2eg8qhc.jpg

Image from the WVC200:
2nukr2a.jpg

Image from the DIR-6620G:
6svyhl.jpg

Image from the SMCWIPCAM-PZ (without Nightmode):
f0sndk.jpg

SMCWIPCAM-PZ with Nightmode:
6j0qi9.jpg

DIR-5635:
264gpjd.jpg

The IR illuminator is certainly very powerful. I counted that there are over 20 LEDs. With it switched on, the WVC200 could now display a B/W image. The DIR-6620G still shows a black image, but this is expected because it is not IR capable. The SMCWIPCAM-PZ, which earlier showed that it could give a very good image with any separate devices, seems to show a slightly brighter image. However the added brightness is fairly minimal, suggesting perhaps that the IR illuminator is not of much help (and the SMCWIPCAM-PZ does not need help). The DIR-5635 image is very bright, indicating that the IR illuminator is definitelly helping it get a brighter image. In fact, the image seems to give the impression that the room is in bright daylight, even though it is almost completely dark.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Conclusion

This group test was similar to the one done previously, except with the addition of the new DIR-5635. This wireless IP camera is the latest model that I can find in SLS, and cost close to S$1,500. For this price, it shows that it is an extremely capable camera. It shows good colours when there is light, and shows good image (in B/W mode) when it is dark and there is an IR source. Of course, for this price, you would expect the camera to have a few tricks up its sleeve. Looking at say Mediapro's pricelist, the DIR-5635 is like three times the price of the SMCWIPCAM-PZ. For those looking for a top performer where price is not an issue, I would suggest looking at the DIR-5635. It's specs is very good, and the only thing missing is some built-in IR illuminators (like the SMCWIPCAM-PZ). If you want to use it for night viewing, you might want to consider adding a separate IR illuminator. Of course, this would add to the already higher price of the camera.

The SMCWIPCAM-PZ is probably the 2nd best all-rounder camera. It is extremely capable for night viewing, and is great as a baby TV monitor. With its built-in IR LEDs, you don't need anything else for night viewing. The only downside I can think of is that it switches to B/W mode relatively early along the light curve i.e. even when there is ample light, the colours tend to be washed out.

The SMCWIPCAM-PZ is rated 2nd best because the WVC200 is no longer in production. The WVC200 is IR capable and gives great colours even in relatively poor light. The only downside is that it doesn't have IR LEDs and you need to invest in a separate IR illuminator. The WVC200 replacement, the WVC210, is *not* IR capable. This is a shame because as a father of 3 young kids, I consider night viewing as an absolute essential.

The DIR-6620G used to be Dlink's top-of-the range wireless IP camera. It has 10x zoom, good manual controls for various lighting conditions. However, it is not IR capable. I am also having problems using the WNDR3700 with it (can't enable wireless encryption). Now with the DIR-5635, which seems to surpass it in many ways, the DIR-6620G is probably going to be phased out soon. It's price is also steep (bought mine at close to S$1K). For that kind of money, I would rather spend a bit more and get the DIR-5635.

Thanks for reading.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

The last computer show the price of the DLINK 5635 was the same as the DLINK 6620G i.e. $999 because I chose the 6620G over the 5635. Don't know why it costs so much now.

I think you did not set your 6620G properly. The 6620G would have auto switched to B/W when the light is low and the color settings too. If you've bought the 6620G very early on then the color quality would not have been good but latest batches seem to have improve much because I replaced my older 6620G with a newer one a few months back when I purchased it during the last computer show.

Anyway the 6620G is going away soon.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
The last computer show the price of the DLINK 5635 was the same as the DLINK 6620G i.e. $999 because I chose the 6620G over the 5635. Don't know why it costs so much now.

I think you did not set your 6620G properly. The 6620G would have auto switched to B/W when the light is low and the color settings too. If you've bought the 6620G very early on then the color quality would not have been good but latest batches seem to have improve much because I replaced my older 6620G with a newer one a few months back when I purchased it during the last computer show.

Anyway the 6620G is going away soon.

The last computer show (in Sep) did not have the DIR-5635. It only has the DIR-5605, which is the non-wireless version. I have checked with Dlink both at the show and calling them. I've also asked Mediapro if they can get DIR-5635, but they can only get the DIR-5605.

My DIR-6620G is over 1 year old. So not sure if this is the old batch or new batch. Like I said in my earlier review, I didn't meddle around with the settings to see if I could get better results. My last group test showed that the DIR-6620G has quite a bit of options, and I could actually set the aperture to give a better picture in low-light mode compared to auto setting.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

The last computer show (in Sep) did not have the DIR-5635. It only has the DIR-5605, which is the non-wireless version. I have checked with Dlink both at the show and calling them. I've also asked Mediapro if they can get DIR-5635, but they can only get the DIR-5605.

My DIR-6620G is over 1 year old. So not sure if this is the old batch or new batch. Like I said in my earlier review, I didn't meddle around with the settings to see if I could get better results. My last group test showed that the DIR-6620G has quite a bit of options, and I could actually set the aperture to give a better picture in low-light mode compared to auto setting.

Hmmmm......you could be right regarding the version

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the new DIR-5635 will be on sale at the coming computer show......

jerrypt

Reaction score
Hi,

I understand that there are three versions of uNetCams by the same company:-

uNetCams : Multiple IP Camera & Webcam Viewer (US$19.99)

uCamPro : IP Camera & Webcam Viewer (US$6.99)

uCamViewer : Ubiquitous Viewer for IP cameras (US$4.99)

Would appreciate your comments on them. TIA.

Just sharing my experience

I've 9 DLINK IP cams at home and all are wirelessly connected to my DLINK router and DLINK modem. Cams include 6620G, 2120G and 2100G and I've been using them for a couple of years now.

For Windows PC you can use the Blue Iris to see all your cams

For my iPad and iPhone 4 I'm using the uNetCams to view all the cams. You can get it from iTunes

If your cam is not listed on their current list of supported cams you can write to the company and ask them to test it remotely for you. I did it before.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Hi,

I understand that there are three versions of uNetCams by the same company:-

uNetCams : Multiple IP Camera & Webcam Viewer (US$19.99)

uCamPro : IP Camera & Webcam Viewer (US$6.99)

uCamViewer : Ubiquitous Viewer for IP cameras (US$4.99)

Would appreciate your comments on them. TIA.

Hi, I'm using the uNetCams

If I'm not wrong

uNetCams for viewing multiple cams and thats why it's the most expensive of the 3

uCamPro for single cam viewing

uCamViewer for single cam viewing with limited features support than that of uCamPro and thats why it's the cheapest of all 3

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Now I have a bit of a problem. Have upgraded from ADSL to Singnet Fibre, but the included 2wire 5012NV gateway does not support DDNS.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.