Wireless IP Camera thread

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
At the coming Sitex, DCS-5605 is selling at S$999. DCS-5635, the wireless (N) version, is selling for S$1,099.

I paid close between S$1.4 to S$1.5K for my DCS-5635. Heck, if I pay the normal price for 2 units of DCS-5635, I could get 3 units at Sitex... with lots of spare change.

Should I get 2 more units to replace my WVC200? Hmmmm.......

cannibal33

Reaction score
Hi Dr Archer,

On your previous ADSL, was this a Mio 2wire box by any chance?
Would i be correct to say this is what i have to do in order to view my ip cameras remotely

>setup port forwarding on Mio 2wire
>setup dyndns

Im thinking of buying a Dlink 5605/5635 but am not sure if i can get it to work with my Singtel Mio 2wire box (mine's a 2700 or 2701 i think)

Appreciate any input
Cheers,
Jay

Last edited:

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr Archer,

On your previous ADSL, was this a Mio 2wire box by any chance?
Would i be correct to say this is what i have to do in order to view my ip cameras remotely

>setup port forwarding on Mio 2wire
>setup dyndns

Im thinking of buying a Dlink 5605/5635 but am not sure if i can get it to work with my Singtel Mio 2wire box (mine's a 2700 or 2701 i think)

Appreciate any input
Cheers,
Jay

Sorry. Previously, I was using the DIR-655. I don't think 2wire supports DDNS. The 2wire for fibre (5012NV) certainly doesn't support DDNS.

davpiyo

Reaction score
I had just order DLINK DSC-2121 I like to record 24/7 video but can I use a online hosting company to record coz I don't want to invest on NAS.

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everyone notice all ip cams, not wide angle enough..less than 120 degrees. I find those pan cameras not practical, cos' u dn usually keep panning and monitor...just wanna capture wider-angle whole day, unattended, recap only if sth happens. Is this deliberate, so got reason to sell more cams & pan function which is quite useless. Seriously, who needs pan function?

I end up buying few wide-angles lens adapters to screw on top existing for 160 coverage, not bad solution, but compromise on image quality...anycams with >150 coverage wide angle lens?

Last edited:

davpiyo

Reaction score
Everyone notice all ip cams, not wide angle enough..less than 120 degrees. I find those pan cameras not practical, cos' u dn usually keep panning and monitor...just wanna capture wider-angle whole day, recap only if sth happens. Is this deliberate, so got reason to sell pan functions which is quite useless. Seriously, who needs pan function?

I end up buying few wide-angles lens adapters to screw on top existing for 160 coverage, not bad solution, but compromise on image quality...anycams with >150 coverage wide angle lens?

Maybe pan cam good for home user to view on blind spot area.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

I had just order DLINK DSC-2121 I like to record 24/7 video but can I use a online hosting company to record coz I don't want to invest on NAS.

Just bought at SITEX and guess what? The field of view is so narrow that it's worse than my older models (2100G & 2120G). Of course the quality is more superior. I bought it because it can record directly to NAS (for future use) while the mentioned IP cams can't.

DLINK spec sheet at its website also did not specify its FOV, fart.

Anyone knows whether can attach an external wide angle lens to it? If yes, what brand and type.

Thanks

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everyone notice all ip cams, not wide angle enough..less than 120 degrees. I find those pan cameras not practical, cos' u dn usually keep panning and monitor...just wanna capture wider-angle whole day, unattended, recap only if sth happens. Is this deliberate, so got reason to sell more cams & pan function which is quite useless. Seriously, who needs pan function?

Not true. I use the 6620G PTZ IP cam to pan and look into areas that cannot be covered by my fixed cameras as you're aware that fixed cameras have a small FOV. Of course you can use many fixed cameras to cover the entire area. PTZ cams are more suitable for viewing through panning rather than 24-hr recording. However, if you need to do recording for a specific purpose using a PTZ then you just have to stop the panning.

For recording the ideal way is to use a fixed camera with as wide an angle as possible.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Just sharing and asking

I just ordered a DLINK DNS 726-4 dvr since this item is not available at SITEX. This dvr supports recording from 8 IP cams

I bought DLINK dvr because my IP cameras, router and modem are ALL by DLINK too so simplyfing the troubleshooting process.

My existing IP cams are 6620G, 2120G & 2100G. These models cannot record directly to a NAS because they are earlier models and do not support this feature. DLINK said so. I don't intend to do away with these IP cams also since they're still functioning well. So the alternate way out is to buy the mentioned dvr which only supports the 6620G & 2120G. Also, just added the newer 2121 IP cam which can record to both the NAS and dvr.

BTW, a NAS can also doubles as a dvr but not the other way round. I believe a dedicated dvr's features are richer than those found in the NAS, right?

I was also made aware that the newer models of IP cams can record directly to a NAS without turning on your PC. Similarly, a dvr don't require the need to turn on your PC.

Later, later....may be add a DLINK NAS....hmmmmmm

:s13:

Last edited:

davpiyo

Reaction score
Just sharing and asking

I just ordered a DLINK DNS 726-4 dvr since this item is not available at SITEX. This dvr supports recording from 8 IP cams

I bought DLINK dvr because my IP cameras, router and modem are ALL by DLINK too so simplyfing the troubleshooting process.

My existing IP cams are 6620G, 2120G & 2100G. These models cannot record directly to a NAS because they are earlier models and do not support this feature. DLINK said so. I don't intend to do away with these IP cams also since they're still functioning well. So the alternate way out is to buy the mentioned dvr which only supports the 6620G & 2120G. Also, just added the newer 2121 IP cam which can record to both the NAS and dvr.

BTW, a NAS can also doubles as a dvr but not the other way round. I believe a dedicated dvr's features are richer than those found in the NAS, right?

I was also made aware that the newer models of IP cams can record directly to a NAS without turning on your PC. Similarly, a dvr don't require the need to turn on your PC.

Later, later....may be add a DLINK NAS....hmmmmmm

:s13:

How much u brought ur 2121?
Any cheap NAS for sale?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Ok, bought adapter and wide angle lens to cover my 2121 shortcoming

Thanks

Last edited:

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
For me, I need the pan-and-tilt function because I find that I can use it to cover blind spots that fixed lens cameras cannot cover. Take the DCS-6620G that I put in my living/dining room. I need about 270 degrees of coverage, from the entrance to the living room to the dining room to the stairs leading from level 1 to level 2. On the living hall on level 2, I need about 120 degrees coverage from the bedroom doors to my 3 rooms to the living hall area. On level 3, I need a similar coverage for all 3 rooms in the living hall.

I'm attracted to the latest DCS-5635 from Dlink. With it retailing at S$1099 (I paid for close to S$1500 previously), I actually bought 2 units at Sitex.

davpiyo

Reaction score
I got problem connect wireless with DCS2121 I have do the wireless setting when plug in the enternet cable once I plug out the cable the light tuen red???

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I got problem connect wireless with DCS2121 I have do the wireless setting when plug in the enternet cable once I plug out the cable the light tuen red???

When you plug in the ethernet cable you're running on wired connection. When you unplug the ethernet cable and your 2121 turns red it means your wireless setting is incorrect lah.....unless you've a faulty cam.

Why not call up DLINK and they'll guide you through the setup procedure like what I had done

:s8:

Java_Guru

Reaction score
Dr Archer,

noticed u have reviewed and mentioend several different brands of IP cameras. What is the software u use to unify the viewing and playback? Quite frankly, the dlink software is terrible from my 2 dlink IP cameras.

For me, I need the pan-and-tilt function because I find that I can use it to cover blind spots that fixed lens cameras cannot cover. Take the DCS-6620G that I put in my living/dining room. I need about 270 degrees of coverage, from the entrance to the living room to the dining room to the stairs leading from level 1 to level 2. On the living hall on level 2, I need about 120 degrees coverage from the bedroom doors to my 3 rooms to the living hall area. On level 3, I need a similar coverage for all 3 rooms in the living hall.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
re

Hi Bro,

Where did you get the wide angle and adapter? I can't seem to find any around SIngapore. I need it for 2-3 for my 2121/2100.

I use it in my room so its adequate for the coverage but I noticed there's a small drop in quality....its ok to me.

You can get it from a camera shop at the traffic light junction of Peninsula Plaza & Coleman Street. The shop is facing Peninsula Hotel just beside the road. The set comprises of

a) 1 metallic ring which has a sticky tape on one side. You'll need to tear away the sticky tape and stick the ring to front of your camera. In the event you need a better stick then put a few superglue drops between the ring and your camera
b) A wide angle lens. Get a small one as it'll be light on your camera and provide you with the needed coverage. This wide angle lens is magnetic so that it'll magnetize to the metallic ring. It comes with a strap to secure the lens to your camera to prevent it from dropping. If you need a better hold then stick the lens to the metallic ring with a few drops of superglue.

Thats all.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Dr Archer,

noticed u have reviewed and mentioend several different brands of IP cameras. What is the software u use to unify the viewing and playback? Quite frankly, the dlink software is terrible from my 2 dlink IP cameras.

You can read the softwares I'm using on pg 2 & 3. Important thing is that the software supports all the different brands of cameras you're using

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Dr Archer,

So far, I only use the browser to access the cameras. Haven't tried any of the included software to date. One of my future projects is to look for a software that can connect to the various brands of IP cameras that I have.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.