Wiring/Making Case Fans?

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
I thinking of wiring case fans. As in, I have a bag of Nidec BETA V TA450DC (B34262-34) fans lying around and I think they can be used as case fans lol.

For starters, where can I buy those connectors? The fans have wires but no connectors :s13:
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
Mondays yes, Sundays only selected few shops will be open.

Thanks :)

But meanwhile I checked the fans again, seems to me that I can wire only the red and black wires?

The yellow and green wires are alarm and fan control; not sure what these mean...
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,716
Reaction score
9,378
just did a google search , that fan is rated 9.x watt

example asus noted their fan 12v output is max 1000mAh = 12watt

yesterday I was browsing these industrial OEM fans , wow .... so many 20watt 30watt range .... if plug to motherboard sure break the motherboard
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
just did a google search , that fan is rated 9.x watt

example asus noted their fan 12v output is max 1000mAh = 12watt

yesterday I was browsing these industrial OEM fans , wow .... so many 20watt 30watt range .... if plug to motherboard sure break the motherboard

Got a point there, going to be careful about this.

I saw a link where someone managed to use only 5V with these fans but had a problem with the other two cables (see: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/351752-Help-Wiring-a-Fan and http://web.archive.org/web/20111029045200/http://www.nidec.com/designoptions/options.htm# )

I think now the bigger issue is how to use them as I noticed that they are unusually thick compared to the usual case fans.

I need to make sure this is feasible before I spend time and money on this project :o
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
You need to buy fan controller to use. I changed from lousy cooler master fan to a 12v 3000rpm fan. Motherboard headers don't work
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
You need to buy fan controller to use. I changed from lousy cooler master fan to a 12v 3000rpm fan. Motherboard headers don't work

Thanks, so in other words these fans will either be at full blast or manually controlled?
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
Thanks, so in other words these fans will either be at full blast or manually controlled?

Powerful fans spin too slowly thru headers.

Dan controller provide enough vpower to spin faster and u can manually control speed. As for headers just buy 4 pin to 3 pin from eBay, cut one of the headers dont dont fit fan controller and wire it yourself
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
Thanks, so in other words these fans will either be at full blast or manually controlled?

Even though the wires are there for PWM control, it's not a straight forward idiot proof electronic circuit to control a fan designed for PWM control.

Basically, there are 2 ways to control PWM fan, high or low frequency PWM. Most PWM fan are designed for high frequency above the 20kHz range and not low. The reason is rather simple, moves the noise beyond the audible range of human. This NIDEC fan is likely to be a high frequency PWM model, you need to add a pull up resistor (act as a switch) to the circuit in order for the PWM to work.
 

darkarn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
10,622
Reaction score
182
Powerful fans spin too slowly thru headers.

Dan controller provide enough vpower to spin faster and u can manually control speed. As for headers just buy 4 pin to 3 pin from eBay, cut one of the headers dont dont fit fan controller and wire it yourself

Ah I see, I thought fan controllers are only for people who want real-time speed control of their fans :o

Even though the wires are there for PWM control, it's not a straight forward idiot proof electronic circuit to control a fan designed for PWM control.

Basically, there are 2 ways to control PWM fan, high or low frequency PWM. Most PWM fan are designed for high frequency above the 20kHz range and not low. The reason is rather simple, moves the noise beyond the audible range of human. This NIDEC fan is likely to be a high frequency PWM model, you need to add a pull up resistor (act as a switch) to the circuit in order for the PWM to work.

Wow, thanks, I didn't even know that there are two types of PWM fans like this; I was under the impression that there is only one type based on what I am seeing in aftermarket case fans sold online or in SLS.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top