Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
That's strange, although renovateur is a cleaner and conditioner itself, I doubt it possesses any property or feature to strip the leather's colour, unlike renomat. The neutral formula will not change the color of the leather but it will moisturise a pair of shoes whose natural patina one does not want to change. It will rather provide deep, essential nourishment to your shoes.

Maybe, that lad you mentioned, applied way too much renovateur on his new shoes to cause the shade to be matte-like. Renovatuer should be used sparingly and not subjected to scheduled timeframes. This is subjective. Ultimately, the onus is on the wearer to inspect and decide when's the need for renovateur application.

Personally, I will wear the shoes few times before applying any renovateur/cream/wax. The pores have yet to fully open and ‘accept’ the polish. The older the shoe, the easier to polish. But that's just me.

If it was used on custom patina shoes, there is a high chance that there will be some colour run. Otherwise it shouldn't be too drastic. I'm curious to what extent was the colour stripped to. I wonder what shoe it was... I've even tried using renovateur on Pedro and Rad Russel shoes, no problem at all.
 

xtreamzz

Master Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
3,315
Reaction score
0
New kicks from Meermin have just arrived. Elton last. Slightly more wriggle room in the toes than the New Rey last. Other than that the rest feel quite similar.

20151007_102254_zpsgwoykcag.jpg


A few flaws here and there but nothing new and I've come to accept it, as long as it's not too bad. This pair has quite the padding on the heel area. looks like it will take a while for the heel to mold to my feet.
Oh damn that looks SO good lol. This is from the LM line or one of the MTO's? There has been talk that for meermin better to skip their Classic line and go straight for LM or mto, quality, leather is much better for the slightly higher premium you'll be paying - thoughts on that?

I'll try to find the link for the bloke that posted it on styleforum :s12:

Edit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/368665/anyone-here-familiar-with-paul-evans-shoes

There's a much lengthier discussion related to this issue but I can't find that thread.

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT
 
Last edited:

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,779
Reaction score
809
Well I can't rmb the details exactly, but this dude used it on a pair of brand new shoes, color came off, tried to get some sort of compensation but was denied. Recall other users saying there's no need to use renovateur on newly bought shoes

Renovateur will strip abit of wax and finish. Its not a pure conditioner like VSC per se but an all-in-one refurb product.

Hence it will remove a thin layer of the initial "old wax" surface upon application, deep nourish with mink oil and prep the surface for a fresh application of polish to avoid a mere caking-on scenario.

Chances are that the new pair of shoes are "cheaply" surface finished with a thin layer of dye over crust leather. Hence upon initial application of Reno, it stripped the initial layer of colouration it met, which was the thin layer of dye. If there was a coat of polish or if the leather was tanned in that specific colour (instead of crust) then such stripping will not occur.

Ron Rider's patina thread is a good place to learn about polish. He actually applies reno in bwt coats of wax for its minimal-stripping quality when doing patina work, to achieve as thin a layer as possible of pigment for a better patina end result once all the layers combine.
 
Last edited:

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
Oh damn that looks SO good lol. This is from the LM line or one of the MTO's? There has been talk that for meermin better to skip their Classic line and go straight for LM or mto, quality, leather is much better for the slightly higher premium you'll be paying - thoughts on that?

I'll try to find the link for the bloke that posted it on styleforum :s12:

Edit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/368665/anyone-here-familiar-with-paul-evans-shoes

There's a much lengthier discussion related to this issue but I can't find that thread.

Sent from the Iron Sanctuary using GAGT

It's from their MTO. I've only had their MTO and LM range so I don't have anything to compare to.

From the sound if it, the dyeing process of the shoes were just bad. It would have taken a fair bit of rubbing to see the natural calf colour, even more for a black shoes. Even with the decapant, I've had to spend a long time rubbing on a grey pair of shoes before I could see some resemblance of the natural colour.
 

greatpoke

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
314
Reaction score
0
Seems like I should go check on the products I have as well and stock up the cream since tangs is having their 12% rebate for this month.

Sent from OnePlus A0001 using GAGT
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,779
Reaction score
809
Glorious glorious day whenever a retailer replies with something like this :s13::s13::s13:

"Also, we are shipping via FedEx always as “sample shoes 90.- Euro value” "
 

jctj90

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
919
Reaction score
0
Seems like I should go check on the products I have as well and stock up the cream since tangs is having their 12% rebate for this month.

Sent from OnePlus A0001 using GAGT

Hi guys, speaking about creams. I've been using the saphir light brown shoe cream with my Meermin chestnut antique calf. Even though the cream is of a lighter shade than the leather, I found that on application of the cream with a cloth, the area darkens immediately (probably due to the water content in the cream), but then when it dries, the area becomes distinctively darker, resulting in weird dark patches here and there. Is this unavoidable? Or should I be using the cream more sparingly or via a brush? Thank you.
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,875
Reaction score
734
New kicks from Meermin have just arrived. Elton last. Slightly more wriggle room in the toes than the New Rey last. Other than that the rest feel quite similar.

20151007_102254_zpsgwoykcag.jpg


A few flaws here and there but nothing new and I've come to accept it, as long as it's not too bad. This pair has quite the padding on the heel area. looks like it will take a while for the heel to mold to my feet.

Nice, looks good... I have one on Hiro last, the breaking in process is PITA, have given up on that pair, pity though as the quality is decent for the price but the leather is just too stiff... Prob selling it off
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, speaking about creams. I've been using the saphir light brown shoe cream with my Meermin chestnut antique calf. Even though the cream is of a lighter shade than the leather, I found that on application of the cream with a cloth, the area darkens immediately (probably due to the water content in the cream), but then when it dries, the area becomes distinctively darker, resulting in weird dark patches here and there. Is this unavoidable? Or should I be using the cream more sparingly or via a brush? Thank you.

sounds like too much cream being applied.
 

TUV2008

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
77,768
Reaction score
28,178
You from my office ? I see the carpet is identical !

New kicks from Meermin have just arrived. Elton last. Slightly more wriggle room in the toes than the New Rey last. Other than that the rest feel quite similar.

20151007_102254_zpsgwoykcag.jpg


A few flaws here and there but nothing new and I've come to accept it, as long as it's not too bad. This pair has quite the padding on the heel area. looks like it will take a while for the heel to mold to my feet.
 

lirahs

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2014
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
From Goulashnistan :s12:

And also, seems like Ed has a new competitor in town

http://mashable.com/2015/10/06/shoemaker-singapore/#0EXmzJ1ICOqC

I'm sure some of us are aware of this but there's another Singaporean bespoke shoemaker, Joshua Leong trained by the master shoemakers at Stefano Bemer in Florence, Italy. Seems promising and I did emailed him some enquiries.

The brand is looking to focus solely on Made-To-Order (MTO) and Bespoke shoes, with all welting and stitching on the shoes done completely by hand. At the moment, he's only offering MTO shoes, not yet full bespoke shoes but that will come in the near future.

I won't disclose any quoted charges here. However, the quotations are determined by these factors:
- Design (how complicated it is)
- Type of leather chosen
- Shoe construction (Handmade Blake stitched construction or Hand-welted Goodyear construction)
- Additional features (Bevelled waist, fiddle-back waist, etc)

He only use the finest French calf leather from Tanneries Du Puy and Tanneries D’Annonay for the shoe uppers and lining. And also, the finest crocodile leather from Heng Long Tannery in Singapore, which is part-owned by Hermes, and produces some of the best crocodile leather in the world. Each pair of shoes will be made by completely by hand and does not involve any machinery other than a sewing machine to sew the uppers and the lining.

As it usually takes him between 60 to 90 hours to make a pair of shoes depending on the complexity of the design and construction, the expected delivery time for your order will depend on how many people have ordered shoes before you.

Lastly, as he is making your shoes, he will continuously update you on the progress by sending you photos of the process along the way. These are Made-To-Order shoes that are made using standard lasts and not bespoke lasts which are customized to your individual feet, so there is no way to guarantee a perfect fit.

The process of ordering from Josh Leong reminds me of Antonio Meccariello's. Hah.
 
Last edited:

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
I'm sure some of us are aware of this but there's another Singaporean bespoke shoemaker, Joshua Leong trained by the master shoemakers at Stefano Bemer in Florence, Italy. Seems promising and I did emailed him some enquiries.

The brand is looking to focus solely on Made-To-Order (MTO) and Bespoke shoes, with all welting and stitching on the shoes done completely by hand. At the moment, he's only offering MTO shoes, not yet full bespoke shoes but that will come in the near future.

I won't disclose any quoted charges here. However, the quotations are determined by these factors:
- Design (how complicated it is)
- Type of leather chosen
- Shoe construction (Handmade Blake stitched construction or Hand-welted Goodyear construction)
- Additional features (Bevelled waist, fiddle-back waist, etc)

He only use the finest French calf leather from Tanneries Du Puy and Tanneries D’Annonay for the shoe uppers and lining. And also, the finest crocodile leather from Heng Long Tannery in Singapore, which is part-owned by Hermes, and produces some of the best crocodile leather in the world. Each pair of shoes will be made by completely by hand and does not involve any machinery other than a sewing machine to sew the uppers and the lining.

As it usually takes him between 60 to 90 hours to make a pair of shoes depending on the complexity of the design and construction, the expected delivery time for your order will depend on how many people have ordered shoes before you.

Lastly, as he is making your shoes, he will continuously update you on the progress by sending you photos of the process along the way. These are Made-To-Order shoes that are made using standard lasts and not bespoke lasts which are customized to your individual feet, so there is no way to guarantee a perfect fit.

The process of ordering from Josh Leong reminds me of Antonio Meccariello's. Hah.

The shoes look very nice... I'm interested in finding out how much he charges for a pair.... :D
 

rainbowcsl

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Looks interesting...for Josh Leong..
Wonder how is it compared to our locals in terms of price and quality
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top