Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WakeUpDead

Junior Member
Joined
May 3, 2015
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
What does it look like now?


31b7defb58.jpg
 

WakeUpDead

Junior Member
Joined
May 3, 2015
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
I assume you're talking about the area between the broguing and the polished part? Did you polish all the way to the broguing? or do you mean the darker part is where the water has accumulated?

I actually did not polish all the way to the broguing since it creases there frequently. Yes you are right, the dark part is where the water has accumulated.

The part between the dark and the broguing has actually lightened up since the water has evaporated.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
qQSRs8.jpg


r7SK9O.jpg


DgHLQu.jpg


Supported local startup LLYR instead of another loake. Also the fact that certain models in their RTW was on 30% off.
Went for the subtle Longwing black calf in Annonay leather.
Had to size up to 44. Usually a UK9/43 Euro. Have rather high insteps thus couldn't lace it up fully. LLYR has narrow lasts.
They cream and polish the shoes after I bought them.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
qQSRs8.jpg


r7SK9O.jpg


DgHLQu.jpg


Supported local startup LLYR instead of another loake. Also the fact that certain models in their RTW was on 30% off.
Went for the subtle Longwing black calf in Annonay leather.
Had to size up to 44. Usually a UK9/43 Euro. Have rather high insteps thus couldn't lace it up fully. LLYR has narrow lasts.
They cream and polish the shoes after I bought them.
Nice! I've always fancied austerity brogues.

How much did these cost?

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
231 after discount. Reckon its a great price for GYW shoes.
I would recommend trying em and walking around. Lasts are narrow.
But quality of leather is commendable.
Check their FB page. Got mocha, burgundy for this style.

For something that you can try out physically before buying, the price is good. I was there a while ago to take a look at their loafers. If not for some subtle issues which I personally couldn't overlook, I would have bought a pair.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
For something that you can try out physically before buying, the price is good. I was there a while ago to take a look at their loafers. If not for some subtle issues which I personally couldn't overlook, I would have bought a pair.
Did you see any captoe oxfords? Personally I prefer those, but their FB page has yet to highlight any available.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
For something that you can try out physically before buying, the price is good. I was there a while ago to take a look at their loafers. If not for some subtle issues which I personally couldn't overlook, I would have bought a pair.
Hmm.. what kinda subtle issues would turn you off getting a pair? Would wanna take note the next I head there.
Anyway, just to add on, went to EEA to collect my City Hall in dark brown earlier.
Shoe was dry as jerky. Leather creased so much during walking around in the shop I asked them for a refund. Edwin Neo was there and he obliged.
Spoke a bit and he did say he has to oversee quite a bit for the new collections of french leather. price shot up to 399 instead of 349 now for new collection.

Did you see any captoe oxfords? Personally I prefer those, but their FB page has yet to highlight any available.
Think I saw a dark Burgundy Cap Toe Derby. Can't remember either.
Pay them a visit after work.
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2

Hmm.. what kinda subtle issues would turn you off getting a pair? Would wanna take note the next I head there.
Anyway, just to add on, went to EEA to collect my City Hall in dark brown earlier.
Shoe was dry as jerky. Leather creased so much during walking around in the shop I asked them for a refund. Edwin Neo was there and he obliged.
Spoke a bit and he did say he has to oversee quite a bit for the new collections of french leather. price shot up to 399 instead of 349 now for new collection.


Think I saw a dark Burgundy Cap Toe Derby. Can't remember either.
Pay them a visit after work.

Just my personal opinion, don't let it deter you from getting a pair though. The sale price is pretty decent, especially since you can try your size.

I felt that there were some inconsistencies in the lasting and overall placement of the aprons when you compare the same model in different leather. Very minute issues in the overall scheme of things but since you can choose from the entire stock that they have, you'll likely be able to find a pair that isn't too bad.

The open channel stitching was a little untidy but given the price you're paying, still forgivable but I prefer closed channel.

Just that it didn't speak much to me after noticing these things so I decided to give them a pass. I've quite a few pairs of shoes already so I'm being more picky about the pairs that I would get.
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Hmm.. what kinda subtle issues would turn you off getting a pair? Would wanna take note the next I head there.
Anyway, just to add on, went to EEA to collect my City Hall in dark brown earlier.
Shoe was dry as jerky. Leather creased so much during walking around in the shop I asked them for a refund. Edwin Neo was there and he obliged.
Spoke a bit and he did say he has to oversee quite a bit for the new collections of french leather. price shot up to 399 instead of 349 now for new collection.


Think I saw a dark Burgundy Cap Toe Derby. Can't remember either.
Pay them a visit after work.
Holy **** $399+MTO for my size means EEA is a no-go for me now.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Just my personal opinion, don't let it deter you from getting a pair though. The sale price is pretty decent, especially since you can try your size.

I felt that there were some inconsistencies in the lasting and overall placement of the aprons when you compare the same model in different leather. Very minute issues in the overall scheme of things but since you can choose from the entire stock that they have, you'll likely be able to find a pair that isn't too bad.

The open channel stitching was a little untidy but given the price you're paying, still forgivable but I prefer closed channel.

Just that it didn't speak much to me after noticing these things so I decided to give them a pass. I've quite a few pairs of shoes already so I'm being more picky about the pairs that I would get.

True.. we do get more picky after owning a couple of pairs. Like this is just a steal for 230 if we do get or not due to the fact LLYR is just 3 years old.
Got this black brogue as workhorse shoe for overseas work travels and during formal occasions.

Yea the MTO for my size refers to the pain in the ass waiting time. Goodness the stars are aligned in Loakes favour for cheapskates like myself.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

Yeah.. no upcharge for ordering a size or width they don't have in stock. But for 399... I rather save up and get Carmina.
I just dig the patina they have for their dark brown city halls.
Think it suits most business occasions and most pants.
BUT 399.... bloody @#*Y
 

arcfire

Master Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
2,687
Reaction score
2
True.. we do get more picky after owning a couple of pairs. Like this is just a steal for 230 if we do get or not due to the fact LLYR is just 3 years old.
Got this black brogue as workhorse shoe for overseas work travels and during formal occasions.



Yeah.. no upcharge for ordering a size or width they don't have in stock. But for 399... I rather save up and get Carmina.
I just dig the patina they have for their dark brown city halls.
Think it suits most business occasions and most pants.
BUT 399.... bloody @#*Y

I have to agree that the prices are getting a little :s22:
But hey, Carmina used to go for slightly higher than that... look where it is now.... haha

I feel that their target market is not really the rtw segment but rather those that go for the MTO and bespoke options.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
I have to agree that the prices are getting a little :s22:
But hey, Carmina used to go for slightly higher than that... look where it is now.... haha

I feel that their target market is not really the rtw segment but rather those that go for the MTO and bespoke options.

Yeah.. True that.
I would rank from my small shoe collection, Carmina>Loake>Meermin>EED>LLYR for now.
Carlos Santos next in mind. Or C&J.
But that's next year probably. 100 a side a month. Play the slow game.
Only headache is getting shoe trees in SG. Ain't cheap.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Yeah.. True that.
I would rank from my small shoe collection, Carmina>Loake>Meermin>EED>LLYR for now.
Carlos Santos next in mind. Or C&J.
But that's next year probably. 100 a side a month. Play the slow game.
Only headache is getting shoe trees in SG. Ain't cheap.
Is that ranking in terms of quality or just personal preference? Was planning to get a pair of Loake 1880 during a sale, but the current LLYR promotion is kind of tempting.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Is that ranking in terms of quality or just personal preference? Was planning to get a pair of Loake 1880 during a sale, but the current LLYR promotion is kind of tempting.

Ranked in terms of what I owned.
1880 series is top quality. Have an Aldwych. Was contemplating a black calf Rothschild over the weekend FROM Herrings. But tried local instead since I've never had anything from LLYR. And at 231. Why not.
Reckon it's more about the fit. Trial and error which fits best for your foot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top