Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Ranked in terms of what I owned.
1880 series is top quality. Have an Aldwych. Was contemplating a black calf Rothschild over the weekend FROM Herrings. But tried local instead since I've never had anything from LLYR. And at 231. Why not.
Reckon it's more about the fit. Trial and error which fits best for your foot.
Yeah, Aldwych was the one I like also. Doesn't seem to have any sales right now though, so thought of checking out LLYR.
 

Millimeter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
2,257
Reaction score
3
Loake 1880 definitely better than LLYR. Don't need sales when you have the freefalling pound

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
Need to save money leh :o

Anyway I went to check out the LLYR sales. Quite a wide selection, but mostly derbies, loafers and different varieties of brogues. The ones I like (captoe oxfords) and some wholecut oxfords are the only RTW shoes not on sale.
 

paladin

Banned
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,520
Reaction score
252
Black brown at bugis junction sells speroni handmade Goodyear welt shoes for $399 with 10% discount. Technically if handmade, should be handwelted but not too sure because sole has GYW logo.

Quite different designs. Construction is very good, but I find the leather lacking. Also has Blake shoes.
 

DiCaprio

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
611
Reaction score
7
Seeking the opinion of those who have multiple loake 1880 shoes:
JB0ePR6l.jpg


Are they usually made to be symmetrical or am I asking too much for <$300? Also noticed slight creasing of the leather at the vamp (pair is brand new) Thanks!

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT
 

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
6,393
Reaction score
60
Seeking the opinion of those who have multiple loake 1880 shoes:
JB0ePR6l.jpg


Are they usually made to be symmetrical or am I asking too much for <$300? Also noticed slight creasing of the leather at the vamp (pair is brand new) Thanks!

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT
Asking too much lah. The shape is the shape there's nothing you can do about it. The leather will crease a lot more so why fret?

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
 

DiCaprio

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
611
Reaction score
7
Asking too much lah. The shape is the shape there's nothing you can do about it. The leather will crease a lot more so why fret?

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT
I'm referring more to the disparity in positioning of the brogues on the cap toe. I can totally live with it. Just curious cus I thought it'd be the simplest thing to make symmetrical.

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
The shoes are not lined up properly and thus the 2 cap toes appear more "asymmetrical" than they really are.
The shoes look completely acceptable for what it is.

Nice shoes, by the way.
 
Joined
May 31, 2016
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Seeking the opinion of those who have multiple loake 1880 shoes:
JB0ePR6l.jpg


Are they usually made to be symmetrical or am I asking too much for <$300? Also noticed slight creasing of the leather at the vamp (pair is brand new) Thanks!

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT

Where did you get your strands under 300 bucks?
During sales... It's not common for them to go cheap in G width. And that looks like a G width to me. Probably thats why the shape? I might be wrong. Honestly Capital last isn't sleek if thats what you're going for. But it's a classic handsome British piece.
Crease seems okay. Nothing to fret.
 

JoePilot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
10,132
Reaction score
239
I'm referring more to the disparity in positioning of the brogues on the cap toe. I can totally live with it. Just curious cus I thought it'd be the simplest thing to make symmetrical.

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT

I have these burgundy Strands too.
The brogueing and punching looks quite symmetrical to me.
Mine has slight creasing on the vamp too...I think it's the way the shoe was lasted. After wearing a few times,I'm sure it will blend in, so I'm not too particular, at this price point.
If I were to nitpick my pair, it would be the natural stretch marks of the leather used for the heel area. Do yours have the stretch marks too?
 

DiCaprio

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
611
Reaction score
7
The shoes are not lined up properly and thus the 2 cap toes appear more "asymmetrical" than they really are.
The shoes look completely acceptable for what it is.

Nice shoes, by the way.

Yes sir you are quite right. Lined them up against a wall and they're only just slightly off.

Nice shoes, by the way. :o

Where did you get your strands under 300 bucks?
During sales... It's not common for them to go cheap in G width. And that looks like a G width to me. Probably thats why the shape? I might be wrong. Honestly Capital last isn't sleek if thats what you're going for. But it's a classic handsome British piece.
Crease seems okay. Nothing to fret.

Pulled the trigger during the Robinson's Shoes Father's Day sales! (but before the pound took a dive lol). They're actually F width. Yes the creases are fine aesthetically I love natural creases on the vamp, was wondering if they actually re-sold returned pairs.

I have these burgundy Strands too.
The brogueing and punching looks quite symmetrical to me.
Mine has slight creasing on the vamp too...I think it's the way the shoe was lasted. After wearing a few times,I'm sure it will blend in, so I'm not too particular, at this price point.
If I were to nitpick my pair, it would be the natural stretch marks of the leather used for the heel area. Do yours have the stretch marks too?

Heel area for mine is pretty clean. Some marks at the sides but only really visible when I hold them against the light. Like you said, they're natural so it's all good :o
 

thundermarch

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
1,082
Reaction score
0
Yes sir you are quite right. Lined them up against a wall and they're only just slightly off.

Nice shoes, by the way. :o

Ey, you are referring to your Loake Strands?
Yes, they are indeed, have seen them in the flesh and I think they're excellent for what they cost and the leather is really decent as well.
I'd wear them in a heartbeat.
 

DiCaprio

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Messages
611
Reaction score
7
Ey, you are referring to your Loake Strands?
Yes, they are indeed, have seen them in the flesh and I think they're excellent for what they cost and the leather is really decent as well.
I'd wear them in a heartbeat.
Nah that was directed at you and your insta-porn lol

Sent from the dark side of the moon using GAGT
 

urbanturban

Master Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
0
Funny how the English (yea, the staid old English stereotypes) make the most accomodating and comfortable lasts.

I find that I fit most English shoemakers' shoes very comfortably, and the rest of the European ones a little more finicky.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Are they usually made to be symmetrical or am I asking too much for <$300? Also noticed slight creasing of the leather at the vamp (pair is brand new)
Yes people on the streets and at the workplace will burn you at stake when they see you wearing asymmetrical brogued shoes.

Better not wear those.
 

dj_flame

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,022
Reaction score
0
Thanks for heeding my advice guys. ;)

Anyways, just walked out of the LLYR 30% in-house sale. $460 for 2 pairs. I just got the last pairs in size 42 of 2 models.

Happy bargain-hunting. :)
 

likehotbutter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
5,776
Reaction score
799
Funny how the English (yea, the staid old English stereotypes) make the most accomodating and comfortable lasts.

I find that I fit most English shoemakers' shoes very comfortably, and the rest of the European ones a little more finicky.

wait until u try the Budapesters or banana lasts lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top