Xiaomi Mix Fold 3

aw1007

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
1,562
Reaction score
237
Yes, can. I just received my China rom set. Can use Google pay for transport. Haven't tried retail purchases but should not be an issue.

Sidetrack a bit; I used the 13 ultra global rom previously, and there are 2 things missing from the mix 3 China rom.

1. The home screen transition effects are missing from the China rom, such as cube effect. I can't find the option to change anywhere.

2. When applying the different theme icons, only the native apps will change to the new theme icons. Those apps that are downloaded from the play store, they will become ugly square icons instead of the applied theme icons.

As I'm not savvy with custom rom installation, I'll likely stick with the stock China rom. And I have tried to install launcher like Nova, but only the default Xiaomi launcher can use the gesture navigation. I have tried to Google but can't seem to find any solutions.

Hence, I would appreciate if anyone knows how to (on China rom)
1. Change the home screen transition effects?

2. Make all the app icons look the same as the applied theme?

TIA 🙏
Hi , care to share any notification lags especially WhatsApp?
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Hi , care to share any notification lags especially WhatsApp?
Nope, no notification lags for me so far (as shared by one bro earlier).

For the China rom, will have to
1. turn off miui optimization in developer options
2. lock the apps in the recents
3. allow autostart
4. choose no restrictions for battery saver

That should make it work.
 

Zomgnoob

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
350
Reaction score
15
Yes, can. I just received my China rom set. Can use Google pay for transport. Haven't tried retail purchases but should not be an issue.

Sidetrack a bit; I used the 13 ultra global rom previously, and there are 2 things missing from the mix 3 China rom.

1. The home screen transition effects are missing from the China rom, such as cube effect. I can't find the option to change anywhere.

2. When applying the different theme icons, only the native apps will change to the new theme icons. Those apps that are downloaded from the play store, they will become ugly square icons instead of the applied theme icons.

As I'm not savvy with custom rom installation, I'll likely stick with the stock China rom. And I have tried to install launcher like Nova, but only the default Xiaomi launcher can use the gesture navigation. I have tried to Google but can't seem to find any solutions.

Hence, I would appreciate if anyone knows how to (on China rom)
1. Change the home screen transition effects?

2. Make all the app icons look the same as the applied theme?

TIA 🙏
Thanks for sharing bro. Can check with you if Fold 3 resolve the NFC issue where it will auto default back to Mi wallet from Google wallet after some time. This was the experience with Fold 2 and they had never fixed it. FYI I did the turn off MIUI optimizations and the locking steps that you described on your post on my Fold 2
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Thanks for sharing bro. Can check with you if Fold 3 resolve the NFC issue where it will auto default back to Mi wallet from Google wallet after some time. This was the experience with Fold 2 and they had never fixed it. FYI I did the turn off MIUI optimizations and the locking steps that you described on your post on my Fold 2
Hmm... so far I only used the fold 3 for couple of days... didn't experience the NFC auto default back to mi wallet issue... Anyway, I had deleted the mi wallet app on the phone. I only have the Google wallet app. Not sure if that helps.

Btw, when I was using the fold 2 for couple of months previously, I also didn't experience the NFC issue. Google pay was set as default and usable on transport and retail.
 

Zomgnoob

Member
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
350
Reaction score
15
Hmm... so far I only used the fold 3 for couple of days... didn't experience the NFC auto default back to mi wallet issue... Anyway, I had deleted the mi wallet app on the phone. I only have the Google wallet app. Not sure if that helps.

Btw, when I was using the fold 2 for couple of months previously, I also didn't experience the NFC issue. Google pay was set as default and usable on transport and retail.
I see, were you on MiUI13 previously? I didn't have the issue on MIUI13, only experience this after upgrading to MIUI 14 on Fold 2 and it resets the default NFC after 3+ hours. But anyway good to hear that you didn't have this on Fold 3. Looking forward to upgrade to Fold 3 soon!
 
Last edited:

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
I see, were you on MiUI13 previously? I didn't have the issue on MIUI13, only experience this after upgrading to MIUI 14 and it resets the default NFC after 3+ hours. But anyway good to hear that you didn't have this on Fold 3. Looking forward to upgrade to Fold 3 soon!
Yep, fold 2 that time should be miui 13, so didn't experience the NFC issue.

Currently, fold 3 is miui 14 but still early days. Will monitor to see if got the NFC issue.

Btw, checking again if anyone knows how to (on China rom)

1. Change the home screen transition effects?

2. Make all the installed app icons look the same as the applied theme?

If not, likely is the limitation of the China rom vs global rom.
 

wwyjoe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2000
Messages
2,085
Reaction score
4
Anyone having delayed notifications such as for Whatsapp?

I have enabled no battery restrictions and autostart, but still having delayed notifications.

Any other workarounds?
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Anyone having delayed notifications such as for Whatsapp?

I have enabled no battery restrictions and autostart, but still having delayed notifications.

Any other workarounds?
Nope, so far so good for me.

Have you tried to turn off miui optimization and lock WhatsApp in recent as well?
 

wwyjoe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2000
Messages
2,085
Reaction score
4
Nope, so far so good for me.

Have you tried to turn off miui optimization and lock WhatsApp in recent as well?
Thanks Bro! Turning off Miui optimization works, Whatsapp now instantaneous.

But oddly, after turning off Miui optimization, applying wallaper to the lock screen and using Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard does not work. For the latter, when i reboot, the keyboard will go back to Sogou.
 
Last edited:

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Thanks Bro! Turning off Miui optimization works, Whatsapp now instantaneous.

But oddly, after turning off Miui optimization, applying wallaper to the lock screen and using Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard does not work. For the latter, when i reboot, the keyboard will go back to Sogou.
Guess that's the trade-off for getting no notifications delay. I apply the same live wallpaper for both lock and home screens (can't have separate wallpapers) and use Gboard. Both are working well.

Besides the 2 points that you mentioned, I also found the answer to 1 of my earlier questions. By turning off miui optimization, it messes with the applied home screen icons. Not sure if there are more stuff affected by turning off miui optimization.

Right now, I'm monitoring the notifications as I have turned back on miui optimization. Will see how it goes 🙏
 

godaikyoko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,540
Reaction score
18
you guys gotten the mix fold 3 in Singapore? How much it cost hor... i intend to get it during my china trip in dec
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
you guys gotten the mix fold 3 in Singapore? How much it cost hor... i intend to get it during my china trip in dec
Yep, I got mine via Lazada. As usual, will have to pay a premium; the total damage was around $2K for the basic storage.
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Thanks Bro! Turning off Miui optimization works, Whatsapp now instantaneous.

But oddly, after turning off Miui optimization, applying wallaper to the lock screen and using Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard does not work. For the latter, when i reboot, the keyboard will go back to Sogou.
Bro, so far I have turned back on the miui optimization, but continue to lock the WhatsApp in recent, allow autostart and no battery restrictions.

I have noticed no delay in notifications. Maybe you can try that too, if you want the lock screen and Swiftkey functions.
 

keithlim

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
469
Reaction score
115
Wow, admire those who dare to try the China ROM (and I'm tempted to buy XM3 as well). Couple of questions to those who have bought the XM3:
1. confirmed no way to use Android Auto, right?
2. Google Play installed from the Xiaomi store? Does this trigger any issue with OCBC App (which had earlier imposed security checks for sideloads)
3. Any other issues you face besides Animation transition? Is this the transition shown on the reviews where when you unfold, a flower animation with sparkles unfold as well?
4. What's your experience buying from Shopee or Lazada? If spoilt, will these parallel importers help to RMA the set back to China? Any recommended stores?
5. Anyone with Samsung Watch tried to setup this on XM3? Does it work? I know ECG and Blood Pressure test does not work anymore.
6. Does this work well with keyboards like GBoard, Swiftkey? Saw a comment that there was some issue with Swiftkey?
7. Is the 4 camera setup really worth it? :)
 

johnsonheng

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2002
Messages
52,783
Reaction score
4,730
Wow, admire those who dare to try the China ROM (and I'm tempted to buy XM3 as well). Couple of questions to those who have bought the XM3:
1. confirmed no way to use Android Auto, right?
2. Google Play installed from the Xiaomi store? Does this trigger any issue with OCBC App (which had earlier imposed security checks for sideloads)
3. Any other issues you face besides Animation transition? Is this the transition shown on the reviews where when you unfold, a flower animation with sparkles unfold as well?
4. What's your experience buying from Shopee or Lazada? If spoilt, will these parallel importers help to RMA the set back to China? Any recommended stores?
5. Anyone with Samsung Watch tried to setup this on XM3? Does it work? I know ECG and Blood Pressure test does not work anymore.
6. Does this work well with keyboards like GBoard, Swiftkey? Saw a comment that there was some issue with Swiftkey?
7. Is the 4 camera setup really worth it? :)
i choosing between this and honor v2
 

hpchanger

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
74
Reaction score
24
Wow, admire those who dare to try the China ROM (and I'm tempted to buy XM3 as well). Couple of questions to those who have bought the XM3:
1. confirmed no way to use Android Auto, right?
2. Google Play installed from the Xiaomi store? Does this trigger any issue with OCBC App (which had earlier imposed security checks for sideloads)
3. Any other issues you face besides Animation transition? Is this the transition shown on the reviews where when you unfold, a flower animation with sparkles unfold as well?
4. What's your experience buying from Shopee or Lazada? If spoilt, will these parallel importers help to RMA the set back to China? Any recommended stores?
5. Anyone with Samsung Watch tried to setup this on XM3? Does it work? I know ECG and Blood Pressure test does not work anymore.
6. Does this work well with keyboards like GBoard, Swiftkey? Saw a comment that there was some issue with Swiftkey?
7. Is the 4 camera setup really worth it? :)
I'll share what I know; other Bros can chime in too.

1. I don't use Android Auto, so can't comment on this.

2. Google Play can be installed and used properly (unlike Huawei phones). Not sure about OCBC App here, as I use iPhone for all banking matters (yes, like some Bros, I carry both Android and iOS phones).

3. The animation effect that I asked earlier was the home screen page, like when you move from one screen to another. In the global rom, it's called transition effects. There's none in the China rom apparently, or maybe it's not available on foldable phones 🤔

4. So far so good for me from Lazada. I've been lucky that the phones had no issues, so no RMA needed. I'll always look at the shop ratings and reviews, and usually they'll also indicate (shop) warranty period. I believe they'll help with RMA if need be, but there's always a risk to buy export sets. However, there's not much choice currently, as the XM3 doesn't have global release (yet).

5. I had a hard time previously with Samsung and Pixel watches. I couldn't get them to work with XM2 at all. Then I decided to switch to the Huawei watch, and there's no issue because it uses the Huawei health app to connect. The Huawei watch works well with XM3 too (of course you'll miss out on Samsung Pay, etc).

6. I use GBoard and it's fine. The Swiftkey issue mentioned was (I reckon) due to the miui optimization (leave it on and it'll be fine).

7. Think the 4 camera setup will depend on individuals. I'm not particular about that so I'm fine with it.

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:

godaikyoko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,540
Reaction score
18
Wow, admire those who dare to try the China ROM (and I'm tempted to buy XM3 as well). Couple of questions to those who have bought the XM3:
1. confirmed no way to use Android Auto, right?
2. Google Play installed from the Xiaomi store? Does this trigger any issue with OCBC App (which had earlier imposed security checks for sideloads)
3. Any other issues you face besides Animation transition? Is this the transition shown on the reviews where when you unfold, a flower animation with sparkles unfold as well?
4. What's your experience buying from Shopee or Lazada? If spoilt, will these parallel importers help to RMA the set back to China? Any recommended stores?
5. Anyone with Samsung Watch tried to setup this on XM3? Does it work? I know ECG and Blood Pressure test does not work anymore.
6. Does this work well with keyboards like GBoard, Swiftkey? Saw a comment that there was some issue with Swiftkey?
7. Is the 4 camera setup really worth it? :)

Based on my experience with Mi 11 ultra china rom.. my answer.. but it may not be the same for fold 3... i am not sure..

I can answer a few of your question,
1. Confirmed AA won't work
5. I managed to set up my GW4 onto my 11ultra china rom . The way to setup is different, i don't quite remember you will need to install wear os, galaxy wear, Samsung health then you add the watch using Samsung health instead of the usual way. More or less like that, but actual dun quite remember.. you may want to search google.
6. As long you don't off the miui optimization. it will work.. you can see hpchanger reply on this.
 

godaikyoko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
10,540
Reaction score
18
I was thinking about these 2 phones earlier too.

However, the XM3's bigger (slightly) front screen and wireless charging won me over.

Yes, honor v2 win on the global release, but i heard you got to wait till next yr and not even sure if they will be releasing in Singapore. I don't find Singapore Honor support is good, send question on FB, there is no response, unlike Malaysia page.

I also someone that prefer wireless charging, hence it win me as well... and i been using xiaomi for quite a lot time... people are complaining on miui.. but i don't find it bad
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top