Xperia 5 III

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The price is really not that great if Sony SG follows the Russian price. It is basically competing against Xiao Mi 11 Ultra with smaller sensors, lower peak brightness screen, smaller battery, smaller screen, awakwardly wide aspect ratio (media consumption will suffer especially since majority of content are 16:9, be prepared for thick black vertical bars on the left and right of the 6.5" screen resulting in an overall smaller viewing experience) etc. Overall it feels like a lower spec Mi 11 Ultra since Sony is positioning it in this price range.

If the Mi 11 Ultra had the Headphone Jack and Micro SD Card slot, it would've been game over for the Xperia 1 III. There are decent Cinema Pro app alternatives which the Android user can get on the Play Store.

On the other hand, if the Xperia 1 III had similar or larger sensors as the Mi 11 Ultra, high peak brightness screen, larger battery, larger or not too long-ish screen it would be truly worth the asking price and the Mi 11 Ultra would've been defeated.

Currently the only potential saving grace for this Xperia 1 III and the Xperia 5 III is if the price is significantly lower than those phones mentioned. Otherwise they will continue to remain the underdog as the average consumers would only pay attention to phones that have very obvious features. Xperia is focusing on very specialized features that not many will understand at first glance and will skip it for that reason alone if the price is similar to the other phones with more obvious "WOW" features. Price it against the basic ROG Phone 5 at $SGD 900 or perhaps the One Plus 9 at $950 +- and maybe then, the Xperia 1 III will begin to be relevant.
Except sony has plenty of WOW features too.. Just because you can't see, doesn't mean its not there

JuXn5566

Reaction score
The price is really not that great if Sony SG follows the Russian price. It is basically competing against Xiao Mi 11 Ultra with smaller sensors, lower peak brightness screen, smaller battery, smaller screen, awakwardly wide aspect ratio (media consumption will suffer especially since majority of content are 16:9, be prepared for thick black vertical bars on the left and right of the 6.5" screen resulting in an overall smaller viewing experience) etc. Overall it feels like a lower spec Mi 11 Ultra since Sony is positioning it in this price range.

If the Mi 11 Ultra had the Headphone Jack and Micro SD Card slot, it would've been game over for the Xperia 1 III. There are decent Cinema Pro app alternatives which the Android user can get on the Play Store.

On the other hand, if the Xperia 1 III had similar or larger sensors as the Mi 11 Ultra, high peak brightness screen, larger battery, larger or not too long-ish screen it would be truly worth the asking price and the Mi 11 Ultra would've been defeated.

Currently the only potential saving grace for this Xperia 1 III and the Xperia 5 III is if the price is significantly lower than those phones mentioned. Otherwise they will continue to remain the underdog as the average consumers would only pay attention to phones that have very obvious features. Xperia is focusing on very specialized features that not many will understand at first glance and will skip it for that reason alone if the price is similar to the other phones with more obvious "WOW" features. Price it against the basic ROG Phone 5 at $SGD 900 or perhaps the One Plus 9 at $950 +- and maybe then, the Xperia 1 III will begin to be relevant.

Choosing smartphone nowadays is very subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Although the Mi 11 Ultra has a big sensor but its huge camera bump turn off many people. Its 238g weight also something not everyone able to handle. The ROG Phone 5 is also very heavy at similar weight as mi 11 ultra. Oneplus 9 is not a true flagship without telephoto len and OIS in the camera. To me, Xperia 1 III has best balance so far between the form factor/weight and the specs it provides. Last but not least, Xperia 1 III is the only true flagship this year that still has both 3.5 audio jack and microSd card slot.

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Choosing smartphone nowadays is very subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Although the Mi 11 Ultra has a big sensor but its huge camera bump turn off many people. Its 238g weight also something not everyone able to handle. The ROG Phone 5 is also very heavy at similar weight as mi 11 ultra. Oneplus 9 is not a true flagship without telephoto len and OIS in the camera. To me, Xperia 1 III has best balance so far between the form factor/weight and the specs it provides. Last but not least, Xperia 1 III is the only true flagship this year that still has both 3.5 audio jack and microSd card slot.
agree with you that one man's meat is another's poison. 1 mark iii does tick many boxes but one can only lament if only they upgrade to a bigger sensor.. or better front facing camera.. etc.

while I can understand why there are people who still use wired earphones (those true audiophiles), i personally think the microsd card slot is not really a need - everything can be uploaded to cloud / download from cloud these days.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
agree with you that one man's meat is another's poison. 1 mark iii does tick many boxes but one can only lament if only they upgrade to a bigger sensor.. or better front facing camera.. etc.

while I can understand why there are people who still use wired earphones (those true audiophiles), i personally think the microsd card slot is not really a need - everything can be uploaded to cloud / download from cloud these days.
Wired is a must coz I play music games.. and they suck on wireless.. theres a delay between what I see on the screen, and what I hear. so when I press, my notes are all 1 beat late... -_-...

For SD card, I don't need it.. But I need a 2nd sim card.. Which has all but disappeared coz the microSD card is gone.... SD card is useless these days coz you cant install apps inside.. back then you could..

Kepller

Reaction score
Except sony has plenty of WOW features too.. Just because you can't see, doesn't mean its not there
To be honest these "WOW" features are so specialize that only a small minority would appreciate it. The average consumer hasn't, and this will not be changing this year as well since the price has been revealed. I guess the downtrend will continue if their remaining fan club continues to support them and give them the wrong idea that "Less is More". Xperia 5III SG MSRP is $1499. https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/smartphones/xperia-5m3

I want Sony to succeed but can't see that happening with this launch. :cry:

Enjoy your Xperia 5III and Xperia 1III.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be honest these "WOW" features are so specialize that only a small minority would appreciate it. The average consumer hasn't, and this will not be changing this year as well since the price has been revealed. I guess the downtrend will continue if their remaining fan club continues to support them and give them the wrong idea that "Less is More". Xperia 5III SG MSRP is $1499. https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/smartphones/xperia-5m3

I want Sony to succeed but can't see that happening with this launch. :cry:

Enjoy your Xperia 5III and Xperia 1III.
1499 is an ok price. Some other companies charges "more for less".

The features in sony are everything that's required and more..

This phone is not for you if you like your default photos to be filtered. What I like about sony's pictures is that its natural. And if I need it better, I will use my own filters/photoshop...

And once that is done, its hard to tell if I had used my DSLR or the phone (my friend also has trouble telling the difference and he is a photographer like me)

3.5mm Jack is still needed for people like Music gamers (bluetooth has a 1 beat delay which will f up your timing)

microSD card can go. But its a good option for those who really need it.

no notch or hole punch so the picture will not be interrupted.

The 5 III still has the following which is same as competitors

1) SD888
2) 12GB ram and 256GB storage
3) Wireless and fast charging
4) 120Hz refresh rate and 240Hz touch response
5) three camera array

Last edited:

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You had already said it so well, the Mi 11 does not have headphone jack and memory card slot, so that is the deal breaker.
In the initial days of android, memory card support is one of the main reasons to choose android over ios phones.
We can go forever and say "if" this and "if" that, but the real truth is almost all phones still look funny with punch hole or water droplet at the top of the display except Sony phones.
Based on these positives, recent Sony phones are already miles better than many recent competition.

wahpiang

Reaction score
Is there a reason why the 5II export set price the same as the 1 II export set? Should it be cheaper by $200? I was hoping to get a 5II export set for 700 - 800 once the 5III is launched but sadly that would be wishful thinking.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$1499 will be a go for me only if they bundle in the WH-1000XM4
Usually SG pre-order will have headphones..

Is there a reason why the 5II export set price the same as the 1 II export set? Should it be cheaper by $200? I was hoping to get a 5II export set for 700 - 800 once the 5III is launched but sadly that would be wishful thinking.
This means the price of 1 II has dropped... 1 II is the more expensive phone..

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score

This phone is not for you if you like your default photos to be filtered. What I like about sony's pictures is that its natural. And if I need it better, I will use my own filters/photoshop...

And once that is done, its hard to tell if I had used my DSLR or the phone (my friend also has trouble telling the difference and he is a photographer like me)

3.5mm Jack is still needed for people like Music gamers (bluetooth has a 1 beat delay which will f up your timing)

1) SD888
5) three camera array
To correct point number 2. It has only 8gb ram, and point 3. It does not support wireless charging. Take note ya ~

Reaction score
1) SD888
5) three camera array

abit hard to digest especially a phone depreciation is so high n software update support max 2 years?

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
abit hard to digest especially a phone depreciation is so high n software update support max 2 years?
Sony has guaranteed 3 years of updates going forward...

Also, any android phone is gonna depreciate the moment you buy it.. Unlike apple..

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usually SG pre-order will have headphones..

This means the price of 1 II has dropped... 1 II is the more expensive phone..

ya haha
i am surfing carousell and the used 5 ii are selling > 1 ii
of course dependent on condition , but also there are not that many sets in the 2nd hand market

JuXn5566

Reaction score
ya haha
i am surfing carousell and the used 5 ii are selling > 1 ii
of course dependent on condition , but also there are not that many sets in the 2nd hand market
Simply because 5 II is a newer phone..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.