Xperia Pro I

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
This video is one of the more beautifully done ones and really showcase the quality the phone can make. Be sure to set the video to 4K if your display support it.

Kepller

Reaction score
I like how these reviewers are unaware that the actual sensor readout of the Xperia Pro 1 is only 60% of the surface area of that 1 inch sensor, making it actually smaller than the sensor on the iPhone 13 Pro.

The big story is of course the 1"-type stacked CMOS sensor from the RX100 VII. However, in order to keep the phone small, Sony has designed a lens that can't project an image circle large enough to cover the entire area of the 1" sensor. That's why, instead of 20MP images, as you'd get from the RX100 VII camera, you get 12MP images. But this has a broader implication: the combination of a slower F2 lens (than many of its smartphone peers) and a sensor that's not quite as big as a 1"-type sensor means the image quality might not meet the initial expectations you might have when you think 'smartphone with RX100 sensor'. In fact, if you consider just the area used for 12MP stills, it has roughly a 12mm diagonal and 70mm2 sensor surface area: closer to the specs of a 1/1.31" sensor (such as the one in the Google Pixel 6).

The Pro-I offers slightly less light-gathering & shallow DOF ability than the iPhone 13 Pro

Source:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/16416...sor-into-the-xperia-pro-i-but-there-s-a-catch
It's false advertising IMO.

Kepller

Reaction score
fake news
DP Reviews are professional camera enthusiasts. They have been providing trustworthy reviews on cameras since 1998 on both their site and on YouTube.

They've also done the math on their site to back their claims so it is legitimate unless you're saying Math is fake.

Here's another source:
As Sony alludes to in its press release with the caveat that the 1.0-inch sensor has been 'optimised for a smartphone', the Xperia PRO-I cannot use its area, which generates an effective 20 MP resolution. Instead, the device utilises a 12 MP cutout, meaning that it does not use the full 1.0-inch sensor width.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-...l-of-its-1-0-inch-camera-sensor.575286.0.html

Last edited:

connected

Reaction score
I am surprise they are so quick to point out the flaws of a new phone.
They always give Xperia a low score regardless how its build not to use default camera application.
Math or not, DP "math" doesn't work here, there are so many photos out there taken without using default app and to be honest, they look so much nicer than what DP "professionals since 19xx" took... so.. ya..

Computational photography is the main point here they have mention here, so far Xperia phone take and display what the eye can see. If the photo is worthy for someone to print and keep they will say its a good phone, not many are going to blow up the picture like an IKEA hotdog (the one in Tampinese before you check out) and hang it up.

I think someone here have a template for DP... :ROFLMAO:

Kepller

Reaction score
They always give Xperia a low score regardless how its build not to use default camera application.
Math or not, DP "math" doesn't work here, there are so many photos out there taken without using default app and to be honest, they look so much nicer than what DP "professionals since 19xx" took... so.. ya..

Computational photography is the main point here they have mention here, so far Xperia phone take and display what the eye can see. If the photo is worthy for someone to print and keep they will say its a good phone, not many are going to blow up the picture like an IKEA hotdog (the one in Tampinese before you check out) and hang it up.

Read the reviews and the other sources (not just DP). You're making it sound like these sources are simply hating on the phone by merely pointing out what they have discovered. If you've actually read what these sources are stating, they've not downplayed the phone by saying image quality flat out sucks. As technical reviewers naturally they will give us in-depth analysis of a product, not just for Sony but for other brands as well. Additionally they perform in-depth tests with a consistent test methodology throughout most of their tested products from different brands and provide evidence so I don't see how they are simply bashing on Sony.

You sound like you can only take the good side of every product, with the tendency to get offended if there's something presented in a way that does not uplifts the product to perfect tier.

Last edited:

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

They are not getting paid by sony, that is the simple truth of business.

Kepller

Reaction score
It doesn't make the Pro-I a worse performer anyway.
My statements were implying about marketing gimmick not whether its a worse performer or not. They advertise it as though it has the same performance as their rx100 point and shoot camera but in reality it performs similarly to any other flagship phone like the Pixel 6 and iPhone 13 series line up.

More info on the Xperia Pro 1 here:

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My statements were implying about marketing gimmick not whether its a worse performer or not. They advertise it as though it has the same performance as their rx100 point and shoot camera but in reality it performs similarly to any other flagship phone like the Pixel 6 and iPhone 13 series line up.

More info on the Xperia Pro 1 here:

The size of sensor is correct, no false advertising.

Taken from sony website:
Combining a 1.0-type image sensor, sophisticated glass lens, and Sony's advanced image signal processors, the Xperia PRO-I achieves professional imaging quality to satisfy even the most demanding photographer.

Based on the RX100 VII's sensor but developed and tuned exclusively for the Xperia PRO-I, the large 1.0-type sensor offers high levels of image resolution and less noise. The result is superb imaging quality with realistic textures and remarkable detail.

It merely states that it is based on same sensor "but" modified for the smartphone for superior performance.
Having a "professional" word is a advertisement phrase used by almost everyone, nothing to fault about.

No where does it state that the performance or result is the "same" as the dedicated camera.

Assumption for something better is a common error of human's expectations.
I am not going to judge but looks like a desperate smear attempt while trying to sound rational without getting the facts correct.

Quote from other post:
You sound like you can only take the good side of every product, with the tendency to get offended if there's something presented in a way that does not uplifts the product to perfect tier.

Kepller

Reaction score
I am not going to judge but looks like a desperate smear attempt while trying to sound rational without getting the facts correct.
Quote from other post:
My statements are fair considering how the first dude claimed it was "Fake News" while the other misunderstood my points completely and went off topic claiming stuff that I was not even referring to.

No where does it state that the performance or result is the "same" as the dedicated camera.
You're misinterpreting my statements. I was implying that their marketing it as though its an RX100 in a phone. Their message is clear. Look through the comments on reddit and its clear there's some disappointment in that regard.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DP Reviews are professional camera enthusiasts. They have been providing trustworthy reviews on cameras since 1998 on both their site and on YouTube.

They've also done the math on their site to back their claims so it is legitimate unless you're saying Math is fake.

Here's another source:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-...l-of-its-1-0-inch-camera-sensor.575286.0.html

mega pixels are not everything lol.. I have a DSLR, its 12MP.. but it can take pics better than a 100mp samsung.

the megapixels are just a marketing tactic for people who dont know better.

And just fyi, its STILL using a 1 inch sensor.. so its not false advertising.

Kepller

Reaction score
mega pixels are not everything lol.. I have a DSLR, its 12MP.. but it can take pics better than a 100mp samsung.

the megapixels are just a marketing tactic for people who dont know better.

And just fyi, its STILL using a 1 inch sensor.. so its not false advertising.
Please quote me where I stated the word mega pixel in my previous statements. I was only referring to the Sensor Size. Not mega pixel. The sites were referencing mega pixels to further explain the 60% crop factor (which is nothing new as we've seen in DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras as well) of the 1 inch sensor for the less technical person to understand better.

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My statements are fair considering how the first dude claimed it was "Fake News" while the other misunderstood my points completely and went off topic claiming stuff that I was not even referring to.

You're misinterpreting my statements. I was implying that their marketing it as though its an RX100 in a phone. Their message is clear. Look through the comments on reddit and its clear there's some disappointment in that regard.

I did not misinterpret your statements. You sounded like sony intentionally mislead customers with false marketing but their statement clearly stated it was only the same sensor and nothing else is same.

If anything, it is the fault of some to assume same quality or performance between a phone and a dedicated camera, either by their inept reading comprehension or vivid imagination.

Whether there are any cheers or disappointment in reddit is their issue.
What matters more is that extra mud added to a field of confusion makes it worse, and just echoing misleading statements as well is not helping.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please quote me where I stated the word mega pixel in my previous statements. I was only referring to the Sensor Size. Not mega pixel. The sites were referencing mega pixels to further explain the 60% crop factor (which is nothing new as we've seen in DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras as well) of the 1 inch sensor for the less technical person to understand better.
crop sensor is nothing new too..

this is essentially APS-C..

i doubt u know what that stands for too lol

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
I like how these reviewers are unaware that the actual sensor readout of the Xperia Pro 1 is only 60% of the surface area of that 1 inch sensor, making it actually smaller than the sensor on the iPhone 13 Pro.
Smaller sensor than the iPhone 13 pro yet outperformed the iPhone 13pro.

" And here are some Apple iPhone 13 Pro photos taken side by side with the Xperia Pro-I. Apple overprocesses the photos and often ruins the foliage, sometimes people's faces look like oil paintings, and the colors are accurate yet dull. On the other hand, the iPhone often handles more demanding HDR scenes better and brightens shadows when needed "

Sauce :
https://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_pro_i_hands_on-review-2338p4.php
Oh ya. Seems this is the first time seeing you post so many post trying to bash Sony. Which side are you from? Team iPhone?

Last edited:

Kepller

Reaction score
Smaller sensor than the iPhone 13 pro yet outperformed the iPhone 13pro.

" And here are some Apple iPhone 13 Pro photos taken side by side with the Xperia Pro-I. Apple overprocesses the photos and often ruins the foliage, sometimes people's faces look like oil paintings, and the colors are accurate yet dull. On the other hand, the iPhone often handles more demanding HDR scenes better and brightens shadows when needed "

Sauce :
https://m.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_pro_i_hands_on-review-2338p4.php
Oh ya. Seems this is the first time seeing you post so many post trying to bash Sony. Which side are you from? Team iPhone?
I'm on neither side. But it's getting pretty obvious that you guys are trying very hard to alleged that I'm referring to poor image quality of the sensor where in all my statements above I was highlighting the 60% crop factor of the sensor. Due to that naturally image quality is compromise as already seen in Cameras like the A6400 and its siblings:
  • No crop in 4K/24 or 25p, 1.2x crop in 4K/30p
I do see a possible advantage and that is Sony could potentially implement better in-body stabilization since not the entire surface area of the Sensor is being utilized.

No where did I conclude that it performs better than phone A or phone B. Looking at darkmatt's initial comments it is clear there's no substantial logic/evidence in his statements and by not calling him out, solely focusing on my statements its clear that you're a Sony Loyalist.

Does it have a 1 inch sensor? Yes.
Does it performs like a 1 inch sensor should? No.
Does it performs worse than any other flagship phones out there? No.
Is it a bad product? Its up to the consumer to decide after taking into account that it is going to cost more than $2500.

I'll leave the less technical peeps here to dabble in their own bubble, ignorance is bliss. Do your own research if you wish to learn more as spoon feeding is not my thing. Enjoy the phone.:)

Last edited:

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm on neither side. But it's getting pretty obvious that you guys are trying very hard to alleged that I'm referring to poor image quality of the sensor where in all my statements above I was highlighting the 60% crop factor of the sensor. Due to that naturally image quality is compromise as already seen in Cameras like the A6400 and its siblings:
  • No crop in 4K/24 or 25p, 1.2x crop in 4K/30p
I do see a possible advantage and that is Sony could potentially implement better in-body stabilization since not the entire surface area of the Sensor is being utilized.

No where did I conclude that it performs better than phone A or phone B. Looking at darkmatt's initial comments it is clear there's no substantial logic/evidence in his statements and by not calling him out, solely focusing on my statements its clear that you're a Sony Loyalist.

Does it have a 1 inch sensor? Yes.
Does it performs like a 1 inch sensor should? No.
Does it performs worse than any other flagship phones out there? No.
Is it a bad product? Its up to the consumer to decide after taking into account that it is going to cost more than $2500.

I'll leave the less technical peeps here to dabble in their own bubble, ignorance is bliss. Enjoy the phone.:)
Read again. Your initial 60% crop had already been discussed at the other thread
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/xperia-new-product-announcement.6620061/page-2and we already knew about it so no need you to keep stressing about it.

By the way, you said about it being poor image quality of the sensor. Does that mean iPhone 13 pro camera can seriously throw into the sea already, or you can tell iPhone to close its imaging department since with such poor quality sensor and yet with overall smaller pixel per inch the xperia pro-I can even outperform the iPhone 13 pro.

And again nobody is forcing you to buy it if it deem too expensive. I do admit I am Sony fan, its because of such innovations they produce, and I am proud of being their fan because they are worth it and they are the real deal.

Another video created beautifully and tastefully :
https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4697232595943479/4697233322938236

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.