XPG S40G 1TB bricked?

Gizamo

Master Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
2,881
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I've been using the XPG S40G 1TB m2 ssd since I bought it with my full system last year. I'm running a MSI x570 meg ace with a 3700x. My SSD had been running, on average, about 80 degrees celcius. When gaming, it can hit 100, but averages around 90+.

I never noticed till I checked hw monitor after my computer refused to boot sometimes. Since then, I've been getting random slowdowns, mostly when the SSD goes to around 90 range.

Today, I finally bite the bullet and tried to update the s40g's firmware, and followed the instructions per the PDF provided in the folder that is provided in the downloads section for the firmware update of s40g.

I used a SATA ssd as boot drive, and started the firmware update. Everything was going smoothly. The computer prompted for a manual restart, and I clicked yes, as per the instructions provided by the pdf. When it restarted, however, it said Realtek Device, instead of the full spec. Regardless, it continued updating as per the instructions, and it prompted for another restart shortly. However, after the 2nd restart, the SSD can no longer be detected. When it restarted, the firmware update tool merely states "No device detected". Booting in BIOs also showed me that there was no storage device known as the XPG s40g.

However, whenever I physically removed and reinstalled the drive, it will become detectable for a while by the firmware update tool, and I will try to update. It will however, say that the firmware update is complete, but when I restart, it will again no longer be detected until I restart my computer.

Sometimes when I restart and it can be detected, I go to diskmgmt.msc to try and see if its initialized. They will prompt to initialize, but whenever I click on initialize, it will say Incorrect function.

If anyone can advise me, that will be great. It is indeed under warranty, but Corbell has not replied to my email yet.

Thanks in advance.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,066
Reaction score
1,762
Hi all, I've been using the XPG S40G 1TB m2 ssd since I bought it with my full system last year. I'm running a MSI x570 meg ace with a 3700x. My SSD had been running, on average, about 80 degrees celcius. When gaming, it can hit 100, but averages around 90+.

The temps are really high. My Adata SX8200 Pro is at around 50C after gaming.

I suggest you RMA the SSD rather than spend more time troubleshooting. Looks like the firmware has been corrupted.
 

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80
Those are insane temps. Maybe because of the RGB on the SSD?

My PCI-E 4.0 drive almost never goes above 55c (heavy I/O) and is usually 35-45
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,833
Reaction score
1,780
good thing have warranty. next time dont update firmware unnecessarily
 

blackie83

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2001
Messages
11,313
Reaction score
743
Mine XPG SPECTRIX S40G also getting random slow down. I was thinking want to upgrade the firmware. But they only support flashing bios with a different OS. cannot flash in OS.

see can they 1-1 replace.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I am not sure if the temp reading is correct though. 100 degs is way too high, and logically, the SSD controller should have throttled once it hits say 80+ degs. Most SSDs have a working temp of around 20 degs to 80 degs max. On the account of the high temps, I think you should have brought it back for RMA. Even the Samsung PM991 SSD in my laptop runs up to 81 degs before throttle kicks in and bring the temps down to around 70 degs. In fact 81 degs is way to high for my liking, so certainly 100 degs is way off the charts and will lead to imminent death of the SSD at some point.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top