Year end trip to China

hipaws

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2022
Messages
164
Reaction score
22
I’m planning a trip to China from 26 Dec to 4 Jan, and it’ll be my first time visiting, so I’d like to get some advice. I’m hoping to go to places that aren’t too cold (don’t need thick winter coats), so my rough plan is Shenzhen → Guangzhou → Xiamen, then back to SG.

Since it’s the year-end holiday period plus New Year, I’m not very sure what to expect in terms of crowds, and I’m hoping to avoid the super packed places if possible.

Anyone been to these cities around that time?
Is it a good period to visit in terms of crowd levels and weather for these three places?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,278
Reaction score
5,865
I’m planning a trip to China from 26 Dec to 4 Jan, and it’ll be my first time visiting, so I’d like to get some advice. I’m hoping to go to places that aren’t too cold (don’t need thick winter coats), so my rough plan is Shenzhen → Guangzhou → Xiamen, then back to SG.

Since it’s the year-end holiday period plus New Year, I’m not very sure what to expect in terms of crowds, and I’m hoping to avoid the super packed places if possible.

Anyone been to these cities around that time?
Is it a good period to visit in terms of crowd levels and weather for these three places?
Wah now then plan?
 

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,214
Reaction score
204
wont be packed at all. They only have a holiday on 1st Jan.
The hotels wont be expensive/ marked up.

Outbound flight will be pricey for sure
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,500
Reaction score
4,122
I’m planning a trip to China from 26 Dec to 4 Jan, and it’ll be my first time visiting, so I’d like to get some advice. I’m hoping to go to places that aren’t too cold (don’t need thick winter coats), so my rough plan is Shenzhen → Guangzhou → Xiamen, then back to SG.

Since it’s the year-end holiday period plus New Year, I’m not very sure what to expect in terms of crowds, and I’m hoping to avoid the super packed places if possible.

Anyone been to these cities around that time?
Is it a good period to visit in terms of crowd levels and weather for these three places?
Prepare your pocket for the tickets especially for this year. :o

Not much crowd till the last week from Christmas till New Year onwards, but will you be in time for hotels (which are still decently priced) and flights?
 

hipaws

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2022
Messages
164
Reaction score
22
Prepare your pocket for the tickets especially for this year. :o

Not much crowd till the last week from Christmas till New Year onwards, but will you be in time for hotels (which are still decently priced) and flights?
hotels wise still alright, the flight back is expensive, so maybe trying luck to redeem miles.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,278
Reaction score
5,865
main plan is to visit Taiwan, alternative plan will be China, still monitoring on the ticket prices.
hmmm ok. cause my posts was about wah now then plan. so a bit leap in logic how that connects.
 

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
71,472
Reaction score
10,399
I’m planning a trip to China from 26 Dec to 4 Jan, and it’ll be my first time visiting, so I’d like to get some advice. I’m hoping to go to places that aren’t too cold (don’t need thick winter coats), so my rough plan is Shenzhen → Guangzhou → Xiamen, then back to SG.

Since it’s the year-end holiday period plus New Year, I’m not very sure what to expect in terms of crowds, and I’m hoping to avoid the super packed places if possible.

Anyone been to these cities around that time?
Is it a good period to visit in terms of crowd levels and weather for these three places?
Get yr Alipay or and WeChat pay to work first.
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,019
Reaction score
1,915
There are workarounds if cash is all you have at the airport. Other foreigners manage to get by with cash alone. For other settings like buying food in town or hailing a ride, you will be an inconvenience to the locals. :(
 

loganrunning

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
3,832
Reaction score
2,354
There are workarounds if cash is all you have at the airport. Other foreigners manage to get by with cash alone. For other settings like buying food in town or hailing a ride, you will be an inconvenience to the locals. :(

Purely as an experiment, i did a 2 week trip around guangdong earlier in the year, trying only cash payment. it works with some caveats:
- big stores usually don't have enough small change. par for course since legally they have to accept cash, just not legislated to return change. same system here.
- small mom&pop stores - they happily accepted cash and had exact change.
- ride hailing, can pay cash, again, may not have exact change, so just treat it as a tip.
- taxi. same, just the inconvenience of street hail (like the good old days here, before "radio taxi booking" was introduced)
- train and internal flights - works, but inconvenient for the traveller.
for flights, have to find an agent to book (like the good old days)
for trains, either agent or go to station (again, good old days)
or get a local to do the booking and give them cash.

so, cash-only works, just a pain in the rear :ROFLMAO:
would i do it again? highly unlikely :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:



edit: i forgot. booking hotels ahead of time, while in China. if using apps designed for foreigners (ie us), ok, can use credit card. but some hotels are only accessible via China-only apps/websites. So for those, no choice...... i got the hotel staff (where is was staying) to book for me and i gave her cash. the people are generally nice and helpful.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top