Your opinions on this Build?

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi, everyone!

I am planning to build a gaming pc for myself with the following parts:

  • CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($576.00 w mobo)
  • CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.00)
  • Motherboard: Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Included in combo)
  • Memory: 2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.00)
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.00)
  • Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($768.00)
  • Case: Corsair 330R Titanium Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00)
  • Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($138.00)

Total: $1856.00

Is there any component that either will bottleneck or will be unnecessary? Also, would i5 6500 suffice for gaming with the components above or would it be worth spending extra on i5 6600k with cooler? ($100+ difference)

I am looking to use this computer mainly in my hostel room and thus, want a system that runs quiet yet cooled well enough. I was eyeing Corsair Spec Alpha casing but wasn't sure if it would be quiet enough - please let me know if you have any recommendations for the casing.

If you have any suggestions on how to make it better at $1.7k-1.9k, I'd love to hear them!
 
Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
are u going OC ? if no can change almost all your settings to other value oriented parts.
beside that what games are u playing?
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
are u going OC ? if no can change almost all your settings to other value oriented parts.
beside that what games are u playing?

I am open to both OC and no OC actually. Do you think the extra money spent will translate into a significantly different gaming performance? I'm playing all kinds of games including both AAA titles and indie games. I often revisit older titles too.

Some of the relatively demanding games I'm looking to play are GTA V, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Quantum Break, Civ 5, Borderlands 2, etc

U left out a ssd...

I'm kind of on a budget right now and I'm looking to buy a bigger capacity SSD afterwards rather than buying a pathetically small one right now.
 
Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
well this is the changes i think u should go for, and i assume those games u playing is gpu dependent.

CPU : i5 6500 @515
CPU cooler: retain
MOBO : retain (if u dun need so many features can go for B150M mobo)
RAM : Kingston/curical DDR4 1x8GB @47
SSD : ZOTAC T500 240GB SSD
@81.90 +3
PSU: Superflower Ledex 550w sliver @119
Case: FD Design R5 @149 (to me is the slient case.)
GPU : retain.

not sure of the total saving =:p
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
If can wait, buy sone parts frm qoo10 during coupons event. Can save $50 or $100 at least.
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
well this is the changes i think u should go for, and i assume those games u playing is gpu dependent.

CPU : i5 6500 @515
CPU cooler: retain
MOBO : retain (if u dun need so many features can go for B150M mobo)
RAM : Kingston/curical DDR4 1x8GB @47
SSD : ZOTAC T500 240GB SSD
@81.90 +3
PSU: Superflower Ledex 550w sliver @119
Case: FD Design R5 @149 (to me is the slient case.)
GPU : retain.

not sure of the total saving =:p

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll go consider your suggestion. :)

What are your thoughts on the build proposed initially? I would like to keep it as one of my options and want to make sure it's a solid combination.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll go consider your suggestion. :)

What are your thoughts on the build proposed initially? I would like to keep it as one of my options and want to make sure it's a solid combination.

cost saving and beside that if u dun need so many pci-e slots to upgrades or needing a m.2 slots.

but after looking at the games u are playing, they are more or less balanced usage of both gpu and cpu (i could be wrong on some games).

Esp like fallout, GTA. Just cause amd civilization.
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
cost saving and beside that if u dun need so many pci-e slots to upgrades or needing a m.2 slots.

but after looking at the games u are playing, they are more or less balanced usage of both gpu and cpu (i could be wrong on some games).

Esp like fallout, GTA. Just cause amd civilization.

Actually you're right. I don't really need so many PCIe or m2 slots. How should I go about the cost savings then, without affecting the core components like CPU and GPU?

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it. (My friends are all quite snobbish and makes it hard to hear an unbiased assessment of my setup haha)
 

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
82,858
Reaction score
21,319
u say put in hostel.

why dun make smaller setup, like mATX build?
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
u say put in hostel.

why dun make smaller setup, like mATX build?

Eh I never thought about mATX because I always owned ATX systems. Now that I think about it, it sounds like a good idea! Any specific board you would recommend for the setup below though?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Eh I never thought about mATX because I always owned ATX systems. Now that I think about it, it sounds like a good idea! Any specific board you would recommend for the setup below though?

why not go for itx build XD super small factor (the feel of having a console =:p)
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
why not go for itx build XD super small factor (the feel of having a console =:p)

Too many choices, man. Too many! HAHA.

I don't mind smaller systems but my concern is to do with cooling. Wouldn't having smaller casing and all make it much harder to have sufficient air flow? Anyway, my room has some space for ATX mid tower so I'm not desperate to reduce the footprint.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Too many choices, man. Too many! HAHA.

I don't mind smaller systems but my concern is to do with cooling. Wouldn't having smaller casing and all make it much harder to have sufficient air flow? Anyway, my room has some space for ATX mid tower so I'm not desperate to reduce the footprint.

This will depends on which parts u getting, even a small case also won't get too overly heated up, unless u gaming for 4 hrs 0r longer.
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Can I also ask whether GTX 1070 will be an overkill for 1080p gaming with 60Hz monitor? I know the future titles will be more demanding but based on the videos I see, it seems like it hits minimum 60FPS at the highest setting for almost all games, if not all.

Would it be better for me to stick to GTX 970 instead of GTX 1070?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Can I also ask whether GTX 1070 will be an overkill for 1080p gaming with 60Hz monitor? I know the future titles will be more demanding but based on the videos I see, it seems like it hits minimum 60FPS at the highest setting for almost all games, if not all.

Would it be better for me to stick to GTX 970 instead of GTX 1070?

well its definitely overkill for GTX 1070 @1080p

As for gpu still preferable u get RX 480, unless u want that free overwatch games, den by all means get a GTX 970
 

checkmate007

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
well its definitely overkill for GTX 1070 @1080p

As for gpu still preferable u get RX 480, unless u want that free overwatch games, den by all means get a GTX 970

Ah I see. Will the RX 480 be able to keep up with the newer games at max or high settings for the next few years? (After some bad experiences with AMD, I've become a little wary of their products actually)
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Ah I see. Will the RX 480 be able to keep up with the newer games at max or high settings for the next few years? (After some bad experiences with AMD, I've become a little wary of their products actually)

well i think this time round this rx 480 should be able to last you, but dun expect max or high for next 2 years. ;)
 

jnashville

Banned
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
4,100
Reaction score
2
well its definitely overkill for GTX 1070 @1080p

As for gpu still preferable u get RX 480, unless u want that free overwatch games, den by all means get a GTX 970

Definition of overkill varies. Personally, i think gtx 1070 is not overkill for 1080p if u are playing on a 144hz monitor.some titles with max settings on 1080p on a gtx 1070 still cant even hit 144 fps.. so i dont think its an overkill. If u want the best gaming experience, and if u game on a 144hz display, get the gtx 1070 or higher. The gtx 970 on most AAA titles on max settings 1080p got trouble maintaining 144 fps, some just barely 70 to 90 fps.

Of course its also your persepective, if to you 60 fps is considered good for max settings then yea i believe gtx 1070 should be no problem. For me definitely i dont think its overkill. I am getting a gtx 1080 and game on a 1080p 144hz. I rather have constant high fps and be assured i am getting the frames i need to supply my monitor for a smooth gaming display with minimal screen tearing. Plus i have the option to upgrade to a 144z 1440p in futur if i want to.

So in my opinion, get the 1070 and dont need to bother getting the 970.
 

jnashville

Banned
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
4,100
Reaction score
2
Oh ya to TS, do try out 144hz..then you will realise how crappy 60hz is.

And gaming on 60 fps? Thats like lagging to me man. No offence lol.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top