Android TV Box

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
You can sideload apps to your Fire TV. Not sure about Toggle and TVB Anywhere+ though.

Mi Box S has Android TV OS Google Play Store, a curated version of Google Play Store for TV. You can also aide load apps not available in its Play Store..

TVB Anywhere+ TV version is available from the store, but you need to pay for the SVOD subscription in order to use it.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast are also available.

Toggle is not available and can not be side-loaded. Same for Starhub Go. But both Toggle and Starhub Go support Chromecast, so you can cast from your mobile phone since Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast function.

I get it now, so toggle and some apps are on the main google play store but unavailable on the google tv platform. Really appreciate the clarification.

Yes most apps can be sideloaded on fire tv but in reality some work well and some don't. While for those that work, chances are the app interface won't function properly and you can't navigate or click on the menu options. There is the option of getting a 3rd party fire remote but again that is a hit and miss with no guarantee that it will work on the app that you specifically purchase it for.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting, my one does not have the reset hole.

Ref: others need to drift a hole.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv...-amlogic-905x2-4-32gb-dual-wifi-lan-bt4/page5

Maybe you have a later HW revision.

I see, yes the hole that I can poke is the same but not at the same location.

However, it doesn't resolve the boot problem and I'm stuck until I can find a way around flashing it. The only thing I can do now is boot into recovery but when I try to flash from EXT, there's an error and doesn't read the SDcard or thumb drive.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is for the seniors at home so i'm trying to keep things simple. Main usage is for tvbanywhere, toggle and maybe some chinese drama apps. I assume most decent android boxes should be able to handle this, please correct me if i'm wrong thanks.

it will be painful for them to use apps meant for handphone, such as tvbanywhere, toggle, on "decent" android box.

for seniors, mibox s is a good choice when using apps written for android tv os.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see, yes the hole that I can poke is the same but not at the same location.

However, it doesn't resolve the boot problem and I'm stuck until I can find a way around flashing it. The only thing I can do now is boot into recovery but when I try to flash from EXT, there's an error and doesn't read the SDcard or thumb drive.

Never tried to flash from the recovery menu. I do not think you can do FW upgrade with the img format within the recovery menu.

I think in the end you need to get the correct FW and for the img file you have to use either the uSD card or the USB Male to Male cable.

Since you can boot into the recovery menu the HW should still be good.

BTW, there are two FW images floating around. You can try both, including the later one with the navigation bar.

My TX5 Max comes with the older version without navigation bar and there has never been any OTA update yet (unlike TX6 which has official FW from Tanix website and quite a few OTA along the way).

FW images for TX5 Max.
https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-firmware-tanix-tx5-max-tv-box/

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never tried to flash from the recovery menu. I do not think you can do FW upgrade with the img format within the recovery menu.

I think in the end you need to get the correct FW and for the img file you have to use either the uSD card or the USB Male to Male cable.

Since you can boot into the recovery menu the HW should still be good.

BTW, there are two FW images floating around. You can try both, including the later one with the navigation bar.

My TX5 Max comes with the older version without navigation bar and there has never been any OTA update yet (unlike TX6 which has official FW from Tanix website and quite a few OTA along the way).

FW images for TX5 Max.
https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-firmware-tanix-tx5-max-tv-box/

Hi Xiaofan,

I dug up an old laptop with Windows 7 and installed burning tool. Using the USB A cable, I managed to get a connection with the box.

However, the flash will get stuck at 3% so I unchecked bootloader and it'll go 96% where the temperature range error pops up. I've tried to disable the range, changed it to various ranges like 0-90, 20-60, 20-90, etc and all those doesn't work; it'll still get stuck at 96%.

I've tried both images (stock and bars) but all get stuck at 96%. You (or any expert here) know of anyway around that problem?

TIA.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

I dug up an old laptop with Windows 7 and installed burning tool. Using the USB A cable, I managed to get a connection with the box.

However, the flash will get stuck at 3% so I unchecked bootloader and it'll go 96% where the temperature range error pops up. I've tried to disable the range, changed it to various ranges like 0-90, 20-60, 20-90, etc and all those doesn't work; it'll still get stuck at 96%.

I've tried both images (stock and bars) but all get stuck at 96%. You (or any expert here) know of anyway around that problem?

TIA.

No idea myself but there are quite some reports like yours (stuck at certain percentage) for FW recovery.

Freaktab forum will be a good place to ask questions.

For example in this thread.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/fr...x5-max-amlogic-905x2-4-32gb-dual-wifi-lan-bt4

You can try your luck with a fan as well but TX5 Max is in fact a pretty cool box.

Shawncck

Reaction score
Maybe just a temporary network thingy related to SingTel Fibre broadband.

But again H96 Max X2 is not officially supported by SingTel TV Go so you are on your own.

Hi Xiaofan, I flash a few times my h96max x2. Then after the last time, i rebooted and now my box power led no light up and i was not able to boot. No more hdmi signal and i cant flash either. U know any solution to reset in the circuit itself?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan, I flash a few times my h96max x2. Then after the last time, i rebooted and now my box power led no light up and i was not able to boot. No more hdmi signal and i cant flash either. U know any solution to reset in the circuit itself?

First make sure the power adapter is working.

Then try to reflash again using the USB A Male to Male cable and a computer.

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No idea myself but there are quite some reports like yours (stuck at certain percentage) for FW recovery.

Freaktab forum will be a good place to ask questions.

For example in this thread.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/fr...x5-max-amlogic-905x2-4-32gb-dual-wifi-lan-bt4

You can try your luck with a fan as well but TX5 Max is in fact a pretty cool box.

Same thing happened to me, no m TX5 has no LED and constantly stuck at 3% (uboot) when flashing.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

TIA.

you have to make sure that the firmware downloaded is the right version, sometimes you have to open up the box and look at the model/ver of the PCB.

next time get a box with brand and support website, you will be able to get the correct firmware, and support from the brand's model.

you may save a few dollars by getting no-brand box, but you can land into your current situation easily.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I'll try to use a smaller capacity card (using 64GB) but doesn't Burn Card Maker format the card before creating the boot image?

I'll try to see if Windows 7 works and I've tried different USB ports on both the box and PC (Win10).

It's kind of odd why my TX5 Max just refuse to boot when my wife was using it just the night before flawlessly.

you have to make sure that the firmware downloaded is the right version, sometimes you have to open up the box and look at the model/ver of the PCB.

next time get a box with brand and support website, you will be able to get the correct firmware, and support from the brand's model.

you may save a few dollars by getting no-brand box, but you can land into your current situation easily.

That's why I bought the TX5 Max, the images are correct, Xiaofan has also gave me some links which I've used to download the images.

Problem now is getting stuck at 3% Uboot but even unchecking bootloader doesn't work anymore.

Funny thing is the box doesn't power up when I turn on the power adapter but it can draw power from the USB port; because of that, I can't use ADB and can't find a way to get a new recovery into the box.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why I bought the TX5 Max, the images are correct, Xiaofan has also gave me some links which I've used to download the images.

Problem now is getting stuck at 3% Uboot but even unchecking bootloader doesn't work anymore.

Funny thing is the box doesn't power up when I turn on the power adapter but it can draw power from the USB port; because of that, I can't use ADB and can't find a way to get a new recovery into the box.

is the word "tanix" printed on the box?

I thought xiaofan mentioned that his box is not the same as yours, although both are called tx5max?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the word "tanix" printed on the box?

I thought xiaofan mentioned that his box is not the same as yours, although both are called tx5max?

I think HW revision is different but both are OEM version without Tanix logo. And the two boxes may come from different OEM.

I think in the end it is still better to buy boxes from more proven vendor like Mi Box S.

From what I read that there seems to be different OEM for Tanix and the quality may not be good as the official Tanix version.

And Tanix itself is not as good as Beelink. And Beelink is not as good as higher end models like Zidoo and Minix. And none of these brands are as established as Xiaomi.

Shawncck

Reaction score

The power adapter is working fine. i test on another box. My box is now unable to detect by my PC. So that is no way I can flash. I think need to do a nand short method. But i try also but it is not working either.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The power adapter is working fine. i test on another box. My box is now unable to detect by my PC. So that is no way I can flash. I think need to do a nand short method. But i try also but it is not working either.

In that case, most likely the box is dead. Buy a new box like Mi Box S.

kaixin18

Reaction score

Same thing happened to me, no m TX5 has no LED and constantly stuck at 3% (uboot) when flashing.

Currently i am using Tanix tx5 max which is good, becos the box is not so hot (heat issue) and the UI is simple (running android 8.1)

can please help to recommend a good android box so that my husband and i can watch all the channels in the world? if i buy from online then im afraid difficult to get the help and support if anything goes wrong. if i buy from a local shop here would be better rite? please help.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.