Considering photography as a hobby

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Reaction score
Is this an expensive hobby? I heard even at entry level equipment are not cheap.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends how serious you are with the hobby ? Use mobile phone camera also can learn photography.

However, if you are thinking more towards traditional cameras, can always start with second hand gear first to test the waters.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Photography has been my hobby for over 20 years and have spent more than $15K on my equipment. If you're talking about using DSLRs/mirrorless cameras with dedicated lenses, it can be quite costly depending on model and type.

If you're just a simple hobbyist, I suggest starting smaller first before spending more if you wish to go further.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can buy new sony a5000 mirrorless with lens for $300 at qoo10

It is not an expensive hobby if you know what equipment to buy. For example a second hand rx100 is about $200 at carousell and it can take great pictures.
Sample images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xqR9c7ZPcKIIuSIA2

You can also buy a +10 diopter and do macro with it
UGr1L6a.jpeg

AvySQjW.jpeg

Tc2gWs5.jpeg

btVumqD.jpeg

Last edited:

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can buy new sony a5000 mirrorless with lens for $300 at qoo10

It is not an expensive hobby if you know what equipment to buy. For example a second hand rx100 is about $200 at carousell and it can take great pictures.
Sample images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xqR9c7ZPcKIIuSIA2

You can also buy a +10 diopter and do macro with it
UGr1L6a.jpeg

AvySQjW.jpeg

Tc2gWs5.jpeg

btVumqD.jpeg
Colours are pretty muted.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this an expensive hobby? I heard even at entry level equipment are not cheap.

IMHO.
It will become expensive especially when the wrong choice was made for the 1st set of equipment.
Generally speaking, you can enjoy photography with basic equipment. There is very minimal maintenance cost. Think of it like the camera on the mobile,

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
It will become expensive especially when the wrong choice was made for the 1st set of equipment.
Generally speaking, you can enjoy photography with basic equipment. There is very minimal maintenance cost. Think of it like the camera on the mobile
Not really true.
1.Need to buy camera and lens (if into dslr/milc)
2. Need to buy dry cabinet to store the above properly else might kena fungus (for dslr/milc)

The first sentence is true though. It's best for beginners to hone their skills first with a basic set first and understanding the exposure triangle first before going to buy more and more gear...

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The first sentence is true though. It's best for beginners to hone their skills first with a basic set first and understanding the exposure triangle first before going to buy more and more gear...
IMHO.
Unless it is a true hobby, yes.
The best is to read a book and then decide on the basic set.
E.g.
On an overseas trip, I was on a bump boat .
The subject was a native which wore white but has dark shiny skin.
I am using a crop sensor.
Had I the extra 2mm for wide, the picture would be better.

KlavierX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its more about the composition of your photography take your time to learn even thru mobile now can get very nice shots... dont just always shoot straight

top down angle shots and bottom point up shots works very well for certain shots too

remember the rule of thirds also it helps a lot in composition of shots

KlavierX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just to quote
“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” -

Henri Cartier-Bresson​

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t need to be VERY expensive if you buy older model used gear.

For example, you can get a used Sony A7ii body with used Samyang 35mm f2.8 lens for quite little money. You can go a long way with that, though optically not the best, but certainly won’t stop you from taking great photos.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
Decide what genre of photography and then buy the equipment.
If all, buy everything. 🤣

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.