Considering photography as a hobby

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Reaction score
Is this an expensive hobby? I heard even at entry level equipment are not cheap.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends how serious you are with the hobby ? Use mobile phone camera also can learn photography.

However, if you are thinking more towards traditional cameras, can always start with second hand gear first to test the waters.

Last edited:

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Photography has been my hobby for over 20 years and have spent more than $15K on my equipment. If you're talking about using DSLRs/mirrorless cameras with dedicated lenses, it can be quite costly depending on model and type.

If you're just a simple hobbyist, I suggest starting smaller first before spending more if you wish to go further.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can buy new sony a5000 mirrorless with lens for $300 at qoo10

It is not an expensive hobby if you know what equipment to buy. For example a second hand rx100 is about $200 at carousell and it can take great pictures.
Sample images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xqR9c7ZPcKIIuSIA2

You can also buy a +10 diopter and do macro with it
UGr1L6a.jpeg

AvySQjW.jpeg

Tc2gWs5.jpeg

btVumqD.jpeg

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Phones with the 64MP Sony IMX 682/686 is also good, such as the one found in poco x3 nfc non pro

They are a huge improvement over previous generation of camera phones where you can tell that the picture is taken using a phone by zooming in

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can buy new sony a5000 mirrorless with lens for $300 at qoo10

It is not an expensive hobby if you know what equipment to buy. For example a second hand rx100 is about $200 at carousell and it can take great pictures.
Sample images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xqR9c7ZPcKIIuSIA2

You can also buy a +10 diopter and do macro with it
UGr1L6a.jpeg

AvySQjW.jpeg

Tc2gWs5.jpeg

btVumqD.jpeg
Colours are pretty muted.

keenklee

Reaction score
Is this an expensive hobby? I heard even at entry level equipment are not cheap.

IMHO.
It will become expensive especially when the wrong choice was made for the 1st set of equipment.
Generally speaking, you can enjoy photography with basic equipment. There is very minimal maintenance cost. Think of it like the camera on the mobile,

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.