[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

jfpatenaude

Reaction score
I hope the firmware bug will be fixed soon because so far that router is quite a mess.

I built a brand new corporate network using 9 of these flaky routers and the network loops were happening every 10 minutes. Every time the loop would happen, it would flood so much the network that even wired connections went awol.

We need 9 routers to cover the whole office but due to the firmware bug, I had to disable all of them except one. When there is only one router on our network, the network loop problem doesn't happen.

Dear owpk,

No ETA at the moment. We will release once the firmware is ready.

Link speed 20+mbps? what client are you using?

Best regard,
JK

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
yea till now still facing internet connection drop on 5ghz. even though device is still connected to 5ghz with full bar. its like the wireless freq is still strong and available, just that the internet connectivity drops. i have to dc from the 5ghz ssid and click on it to rejoin again and it works. could it be some ip address releasing and device unable to renew itself?

Happen to all my devices connected to my network. samsung note 2, note 3, 2 windows based laptops. So i dont think its device based...really a problem with this router. =/ spend so much but got this problem.

Asus Sg cannot do anything??

legolaz

Reaction score
Jnash, what your setup like? Are you using it as an access point or router mode? Do u have multiple routers and/or access points? I am also encountering the same issue and just wanted to see if our network had similar configurations.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Previously I have reported that my 1 windows laptop limited connection and 1 lost of SSID

Both issue resolved after I update the laptop windows drivers .

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea till now still facing internet connection drop on 5ghz. even though device is still connected to 5ghz with full bar. its like the wireless freq is still strong and available, just that the internet connectivity drops. i have to dc from the 5ghz ssid and click on it to rejoin again and it works. could it be some ip address releasing and device unable to renew itself?

Happen to all my devices connected to my network. samsung note 2, note 3, 2 windows based laptops. So i dont think its device based...really a problem with this router. =/ spend so much but got this problem.

Asus Sg cannot do anything??

Jnash, what your setup like? Are you using it as an access point or router mode? Do u have multiple routers and/or access points? I am also encountering the same issue and just wanted to see if our network had similar configurations.

I have note 2 / note 3 / xiaomi note4g / S5 /windows laptop x 2 all have work well now @ 5Ghz ........ no more limited/missing SSID .

Now left my wireless printer old model cannot connected to 2.4G even.

And my 87U is working in AP mode.

There was a posting here that another user running in AP mode will have a stable connection.... I guess it is true ..

davemishsr

Reaction score
I love my RT-AC87R!

AC87 is a disaster
Why do you say this? For me the RT-AC87R is a smashing success! With my RT-AC68U my REA20 range extender would report the 5GHz band signal strength to be at 60-70%. Amped Wireless recommends >70% so 5GHz performace was spotty at best.

With the RT-AC87R my range extended reports the 5GHz signal strength anywhere from 78% to as high as 92% when I was using the driver in Asus Beta firmware 378.3754. I loved my AC68U but the AC87R is just better, at least for me and my application.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont know about AC-87R but I am using AC-87U. Range I find so so. In areas where I can't receive signal with my Singtel Pace router, I cannot signal with the 87U either.

5ghz connect still face a lot of issues. I believe more bros will be able to explain

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont know about AC-87R but I am using AC-87U. Range I find so so. In areas where I can't receive signal with my Singtel Pace router, I cannot signal with the 87U either.

5ghz connect still face a lot of issues. I believe more bros will be able to explain

For me 87U coverage is beautiful.

You want to try setting it to AP ?

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
I have note 2 / note 3 / xiaomi note4g / S5 /windows laptop x 2 all have work well now @ 5Ghz ........ no more limited/missing SSID .

Now left my wireless printer old model cannot connected to 2.4G even.

And my 87U is working in AP mode.

There was a posting here that another user running in AP mode will have a stable connection.... I guess it is true ..

yes I was the one posted using AP mode will be stable. but I dont wanna use AP mode because once I do that, I cant access the router page anymore. got to use some asus discovery tool to access the router page.

I using a main gigabit router at my utility box that provide wired connection to my other rooms. my asus 87u is connected wiredly thru hdb structured cabling to the gigabit router. I running my asus 87u in router mode.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes I was the one posted using AP mode will be stable. but I dont wanna use AP mode because once I do that, I cant access the router page anymore. got to use some asus discovery tool to access the router page.

I using a main gigabit router at my utility box that provide wired connection to my other rooms. my asus 87u is connected wiredly thru hdb structured cabling to the gigabit router. I running my asus 87u in router mode.

What do you mean by cannot access router page ?

When in AP mode ... I can still configure as shown below ..

NiGIFx3.png

Last edited:

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean by cannot access router page ?

When in AP mode ... I can still configure as shown below ..

Because he don't use IP Address to access config page but use a internally resolved DNS. But once you go AP mode DNS is off. I think.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.