2018 Google Pixel 3 and 3XL...😗🎉😵

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,327
Reaction score
3,863
3a costs S$659 and 3a XL costs S$779 here. Crazy mark up! You could get easily Xiaomi or Huawei flagships for the price of 3a. Not sure if it's worth to pay google tax just for the camera when Chinese phone flagship camera is similar or better.
I agree with you that the Pixel is overpriced, but I also don't agree on using those China phones. Used before Huawei and Xiaomi, their user interface changes don't even make the phone feel like an Android phone, feels like a pirated iOS interface. While specs is important, the user experience is also just as important. I am sure many of use here feel the same on the interface being important.

Given the choice, I would use a Samsung over Huawei/Xiaomi. I absolutely detest the interface of both phones.
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
I agree with you that the Pixel is overpriced, but I also don't agree on using those China phones. Used before Huawei and Xiaomi, their user interface changes don't even make the phone feel like an Android phone, feels like a pirated iOS interface. While specs is important, the user experience is also just as important. I am sure many of use here feel the same on the interface being important.

Given the choice, I would use a Samsung over Huawei/Xiaomi. I absolutely detest the interface of both phones.

Hahah I'm with you on this one. EMUI and MIUI are really just atrocious but folks who like it like it. Just not for us :s13:

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
I'm tempted too. Purely for the new gesture bar. Haha

Am tempted too, but I don't want to install on my 3XL unless the banking, singpass app confirm working. Try it on my Essential PH-1 instead..

Installing... If banking apps work, most will try it

MvIYG05h.jpg



Not using banking apps on my pixel but on my iPhone. However I'm still contemplating on whether to enroll into beta for my 3XL. Just did it on my essential. The gesture in comparison to iOS still not as buttery smooth.

But the most important issue that irks me is because of the new swipe right or left for back gesture. Because of material design, most of the sub menus are activated using this gesture but because of the new back gesture with the removal of the back button, there's a conflict now. Instead of pulling out the sub menus it always goes back. It's because of this that I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger :mad:

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL
 

Jescowalker

Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2013
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Beta 3 got option to give you back 3 buttons if y'all interested in that

Sent from Samsung S10+ using GAGT
 

JuXn5566

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
32
I agree with you that the Pixel is overpriced, but I also don't agree on using those China phones. Used before Huawei and Xiaomi, their user interface changes don't even make the phone feel like an Android phone, feels like a pirated iOS interface. While specs is important, the user experience is also just as important. I am sure many of use here feel the same on the interface being important.

Given the choice, I would use a Samsung over Huawei/Xiaomi. I absolutely detest the interface of both phones.

Not sure how long since you last approached Huawei/Xiaomi UI because I don't see much resemblance with their last iteration. I feel it could be just your prejudice based on the look. If it's aesthetic or design issue, you can simply download a theme. If you find it lacking an app drawer, you can simply download a third party launcher. As if it's an issue of placement of certain buttons or settings, no one can be sure which location is the best for the user.

Huawei/Xiaomi recent UI design are pretty much in line with material design on stock Android Pie, rounded corners and white background everywhere. The new gesture and dark mode announced on Android Q, were already on Huawei/Xiaomi UI for quite sometime. I am surprised Android Q actually followed the gesture used in Huawei/Xiaomi UI. Samsung UI used to be a mess in the past, I am glad they improved it recently with One UI initiative.
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
Beta 3 got option to give you back 3 buttons if y'all interested in that

Sent from Samsung S10+ using GAGT

Hahah abit defeats the purpose leh if we go back to the 3 button layout lol.

Not sure how long since you last approached Huawei/Xiaomi UI because I don't see much resemblance with their last iteration. I feel it could be just your prejudice based on the look. If it's aesthetic or design issue, you can simply download a theme. If you find it lacking an app drawer, you can simply download a third party launcher. As if it's an issue of placement of certain buttons or settings, no one can be sure which location is the best for the user.

Huawei/Xiaomi recent UI design are pretty much in line with material design on stock Android Pie, rounded corners and white background everywhere. The new gesture and dark mode announced on Android Q, were already on Huawei/Xiaomi UI for quite sometime. I am surprised Android Q actually followed the gesture used in Huawei/Xiaomi UI. Samsung UI used to be a mess in the past, I am glad they improved it recently with One UI initiative.

I think we use pixels for what it is right outta box. If you get a phone and you still gotta theme it and download launchers and stuff it just means that the design is lacking and don't suit the person's taste.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL
 

iron2000

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
1,917
Reaction score
9
Is Pixel 3a better than Pixel 2?
Or maybe best to wait for Pixel 4.
But in the end the specs sure will be lesser than expected.

They release 3a so they can make 4 very expensive?

Too bad the $399 is USD not SGD, lol
(Wait long long lol)
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,327
Reaction score
3,863
Not sure how long since you last approached Huawei/Xiaomi UI because I don't see much resemblance with their last iteration. I feel it could be just your prejudice based on the look. If it's aesthetic or design issue, you can simply download a theme. If you find it lacking an app drawer, you can simply download a third party launcher. As if it's an issue of placement of certain buttons or settings, no one can be sure which location is the best for the user.

Huawei/Xiaomi recent UI design are pretty much in line with material design on stock Android Pie, rounded corners and white background everywhere. The new gesture and dark mode announced on Android Q, were already on Huawei/Xiaomi UI for quite sometime. I am surprised Android Q actually followed the gesture used in Huawei/Xiaomi UI. Samsung UI used to be a mess in the past, I am glad they improved it recently with One UI initiative.


The P20 was my latest Huawei experience. The Huawei did not have an app drawer which I absolutely hated, and the settings menu was not pleasant to deal with. I just hate how it looked in general, a launcher does not solve anything.

My experience with Xiaomi was a few months ago and MIUI still looks godawful at the Xiaomi store. I don't like the settings menu setup too, don't like the default launcher as well, and specially don't like the pulldown menu.

Samsung's One UI is fantastic, I would say it's a bit better than the Pixel in some ways. And I say this as a Pixel 3 XL owner.
 

chiaRH

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
I think we use pixels for what it is right outta box. If you get a phone and you still gotta theme it and download launchers and stuff it just means that the design is lacking and don't suit the person's taste.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL

i would argue that the philosophy of android is you can personalise it to your liking and this applies even to stock android phones like some people prefer swiftkey some prefer the google keyboard

using a phone out of the box, no launcher no customising etc that sounds more like the apple ecosystem mindset where you really do use what is provided, like it or not (cos you aren't offered variety of choice unlike android)
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
Is Pixel 3a better than Pixel 2?
Or maybe best to wait for Pixel 4.
But in the end the specs sure will be lesser than expected.

They release 3a so they can make 4 very expensive?

Too bad the $399 is USD not SGD, lol
(Wait long long lol)

To be honest, I would go for a P2 or P2XL over the 3A given that the camera is largely similar with probably better processors (SD835) and on top of that, you can get the former devices at lesser than the starting price of 659.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL
 

laughingPANDA

Master Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2012
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
0
i would argue that the philosophy of android is you can personalise it to your liking and this applies even to stock android phones like some people prefer swiftkey some prefer the google keyboard

using a phone out of the box, no launcher no customising etc that sounds more like the apple ecosystem mindset where you really do use what is provided, like it or not (cos you aren't offered variety of choice unlike android)

This is true but I would think that people who uses a pixel (myself included) use it because we like the looks of stock Android. Keyboard is just a small part of the whole thing but usually when people download launchers like Nova, it is to make the phone look like stock.

I mean to each his own but I for one cannot never get myself to use a HW or XM device because of how they look. In addition the weird permissions they require in order to use some of the most basic apps :)

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3 XL
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top