2018 Google Pixel 3 and 3XL...😗🎉😵

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
Yeah..the more I read the more I scared...went back to Singtel store at Nex and saw the demo unit also got pink hue but on the top half...thinking of canceling and just order the XL...:(

The one i saw at Singtel AMK Hub looks fine actually.

2018-10-20.jpg


Google already did a pre-emptive PR.

Not Pink.

2018-10-20.jpg


Sigh.. I’m also interested in getting the small pixel.
If that’s the case, I really got to think thrice.

Hope this is just an isolated case.. If not, it looks like the situation between Pixel 3 and 3 XL w.r.t the screen is the reverse of what it was between Pixel 2 and 2 XL.

In essence, LG panels still cannot make it.

There is an ongoing poll on reddit.

2018-10-20.png


Take with a jar of salt, since anyone can votes. So could be exaggerated, or could be under reported too since not everyone is that particular about display.

Picking up my Pixel 3 on Nov 1st, and hope my luck that day is good. The demo unit i saw looks okay to me, and the display looks good. Most reviewers say the same and hasn't complained about it yet. Maybe review units were carefully chosen, but that means that there are units out there with good screens.

In the end, it's definitely a little concerning. Especially with the extra price hike from the Pixel 2, I'm definitely not looking forward to losing the "OLED lottery" since my Pixel 2's screen looks just fine. Also Pixel 3 don't sell in nearly the same number as iPhones, and i'm guessing 3XL is the more popular model. The fact that there are almost no such complaint for the 3XL, and quite a few reports for the Pixel 3 already might suggest a higher percentage of getting duds.

I think in the end all it will come down to is how Google Singapore will handle the situation for anyone who has those display issues. Anything less than a 1-1 exchange will be less than satisfactory imo, especially considering the whole debacle surrounding the Pixel 2XL. Long term reliability is another thing since last year's issues even prompted them to extend the warranty.

so.... :s22:

Just to balance things out, here's a thread for the iphone x with the same issue. So it could really just be down to luck.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-display-uniformity-problem.2085460/
2018-10-20.jpg
 

LiteHouse

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2001
Messages
22,812
Reaction score
4
Yeah..the more I read the more I scared...went back to Singtel store at Nex and saw the demo unit also got pink hue but on the top half...thinking of canceling and just order the XL...:(

But XL notch u can tahan?
 

waikiki

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,795
Reaction score
20
The set at Bugis already displayed some form of hue or tint on the smaller pixel as I reported earlier during my last visit. However the same smaller pixel at Kovan Heartland mall does not exhibit such symptom. So it really down to OLED lottery. I am also considering moving to XL if the reported symptom gains significant traction.
 

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
6,012
Reaction score
75
The one i saw at Singtel AMK Hub looks fine actually.

2018-10-20.jpg




2018-10-20.jpg






There is an ongoing poll on reddit.

2018-10-20.png


Take with a jar of salt, since anyone can votes. So could be exaggerated, or could be under reported too since not everyone is that particular about display.

Picking up my Pixel 3 on Nov 1st, and hope my luck that day is good. The demo unit i saw looks okay to me, and the display looks good. Most reviewers say the same and hasn't complained about it yet. Maybe review units were carefully chosen, but that means that there are units out there with good screens.

In the end, it's definitely a little concerning. Especially with the extra price hike from the Pixel 2, I'm definitely not looking forward to losing the "OLED lottery" since my Pixel 2's screen looks just fine. Also Pixel 3 don't sell in nearly the same number as iPhones, and i'm guessing 3XL is the more popular model. The fact that there are almost no such complaint for the 3XL, and quite a few reports for the Pixel 3 already might suggest a higher percentage of getting duds.

I think in the end all it will come down to is how Google Singapore will handle the situation for anyone who has those display issues. Anything less than a 1-1 exchange will be less than satisfactory imo, especially considering the whole debacle surrounding the Pixel 2XL. Long term reliability is another thing since last year's issues even prompted them to extend the warranty.

so.... :s22:

Just to balance things out, here's a thread for the iphone x with the same issue. So it could really just be down to luck.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-x-display-uniformity-problem.2085460/
2018-10-20.jpg

Which phone are you using now? I'm planning to preorder for pixel 3 starhub. Now really got to think twice.
Hopefully like what you say, it's an isolated case.
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
Yeah. Just that your odds are better when the screen is made by Samsung. Haha. The odds aren't in pixel 3 buyer's favour. For me, I'm still willing to try my luck, cause I'm just not a fan of big phones. But if I'm unlucky and can't get recourse, then I won't bother with the whole lineup anymore. Haha.

The set at Bugis already displayed some form of hue or tint on the smaller pixel as I reported earlier during my last visit. However the same smaller pixel at Kovan Heartland mall does not exhibit such symptom. So it really down to OLED lottery. I am also considering moving to XL if the reported symptom gains significant traction.
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
I doubt it's an isolated case since quite a few reporting with actual photo evidence. I'm sure majority of the units are probably fine, but the higher odds of getting duds is a little off putting. Unless this is like a first batch issue.

I'm using the smaller pixel 2 now and the screen is solid. Compared it with the pixel 3 demo at amk hub and it looks slightly better. Not a whole lot better though.

Which phone are you using now? I'm planning to preorder for pixel 3 starhub. Now really got to think twice.
Hopefully like what you say, it's an isolated case.
 

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
6,012
Reaction score
75
I doubt it's an isolated case since quite a few reporting with actual photo evidence. I'm sure majority of the units are probably fine, but the higher odds of getting duds is a little off putting. Unless this is like a first batch issue.

I'm using the smaller pixel 2 now and the screen is solid. Compared it with the pixel 3 demo at amk hub and it looks slightly better. Not a whole lot better though.

I used to own the small pixel 2 as well but I couldn't get used to the small screen. Now that pixel 3 adds another 0.5" screen space, I will be jumping to it from my iPhone X.

I pretty much prefer smaller phone, for easier handling. Hope I don't get a lemon set. Haha..
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
Haha. Can only say god bless us. Will just keep a lookout on this issue. Hopefully it's really not a big issue. :s13:

I used to own the small pixel 2 as well but I couldn't get used to the small screen. Now that pixel 3 adds another 0.5" screen space, I will be jumping to it from my iPhone X.

I pretty much prefer smaller phone, for easier handling. Hope I don't get a lemon set. Haha..
 

omelet

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
2,251
Reaction score
346
I doubt it's an isolated case since quite a few reporting with actual photo evidence. I'm sure majority of the units are probably fine, but the higher odds of getting duds is a little off putting. Unless this is like a first batch issue.

I'm using the smaller pixel 2 now and the screen is solid. Compared it with the pixel 3 demo at amk hub and it looks slightly better. Not a whole lot better though.

I do have very bad luck with display based on my past purchases so if the odds of getting a bad one are high...I have to avoid it...

I wonder if Google Singapore allow us to return/exchange due to such display issue?
 

kEvinErd

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
5,783
Reaction score
468
I do have very bad luck with display based on my past purchases so if the odds of getting a bad one are high...I have to avoid it...

I wonder if Google Singapore allow us to return/exchange due to such display issue?
If you're buying from Telcos, check the set before you leave?
 

kryptonit3

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2008
Messages
2,306
Reaction score
1,887
same old issues each year google still didn't learn their lesson.. hardware quality isn't on par with fruit phone yet wanna match their prices.
 

waikiki

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,795
Reaction score
20
Yeah. Just that your odds are better when the screen is made by Samsung. Haha. The odds aren't in pixel 3 buyer's favour. For me, I'm still willing to try my luck, cause I'm just not a fan of big phones. But if I'm unlucky and can't get recourse, then I won't bother with the whole lineup anymore. Haha.

Meaning you are walking out from the Pixel line now and the future huh?
 

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
72,267
Reaction score
31,127
How strange, mine has that already on by default, you can't disable it. Don't even see it in developer options...
I went wwp singtel and checked that it is running with "swipe up on home button".... How come ion one so different lok

Sent from Google PIXEL XL using GAGT
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
I do have very bad luck with display based on my past purchases so if the odds of getting a bad one are high...I have to avoid it...

I wonder if Google Singapore allow us to return/exchange due to such display issue?

My luck is 50/50. I had the same uneven tint issue back during Nexus 6P. Huawei was nice enough to just do a 1-1 exchange for another set, and thankfully that was fine. So i'll just keep monitoring the odds for now. haha.

If you're buying from Telcos, check the set before you leave?

This is a must. haha. but for those doing delivery or Popstation collection like me..... can only pray. haha.

Meaning you are walking out from the Pixel line now and the future huh?

Not future lineup, but this year's of pixel lineup. Won't even bother with the 3 XL or even do a proper full review of the phone anymore if I'm really that unlucky this year. haha. Over the past few years the phone i spent the most time on is probably a Pixel. Love the series and the user experience, but hardware and reliability wise, it seems like they're still not at where they need to be to provide a worthy iPhone competitor? At least this is my opinion at this point in time. They came closer this year, but this potential LG screen debacle is a little... :s22: hopefully it really is overblown, but we'll see.

My friend was at NEX starhub. He mentioned that the Pixel 3 there has some tint. haha.
 

bryant_16

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
6,012
Reaction score
75
I went to ask this team pixel rep at singtel shop.
He told me the repair is at Starhub service centre. Don’t need to go through telco.

I didn’t really notice the tint at the demo set at Bugis singtel shop.
 

kEvinErd

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
5,783
Reaction score
468
My luck is 50/50. I had the same uneven tint issue back during Nexus 6P. Huawei was nice enough to just do a 1-1 exchange for another set, and thankfully that was fine. So i'll just keep monitoring the odds for now. haha.



This is a must. haha. but for those doing delivery or Popstation collection like me..... can only pray. haha.



Not future lineup, but this year's of pixel lineup. Won't even bother with the 3 XL or even do a proper full review of the phone anymore if I'm really that unlucky this year. haha. Over the past few years the phone i spent the most time on is probably a Pixel. Love the series and the user experience, but hardware and reliability wise, it seems like they're still not at where they need to be to provide a worthy iPhone competitor? At least this is my opinion at this point in time. They came closer this year, but this potential LG screen debacle is a little... :s22: hopefully it really is overblown, but we'll see.

My friend was at NEX starhub. He mentioned that the Pixel 3 there has some tint. haha.

Hardware aside, Google also always likes to make some curious decisions like:

1) Removing LED notification.
2) Removing wireless charging, only to add it back again this year.
3) Removing the ability to unlock the phone with "Ok Google", and therefore removing a lot of stuff that could be done before entirely hands-free.
4) Removing the ability to set video recording at 60fps (Pixel 3 now only allows either 30fps fixed, or Auto, without the option to force record it at 60fps).
5) Having dual front facing speakers, but making one louder than the other.

But dam, the Pixel's camera and clean software are hard to give up.
 

omelet

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
2,251
Reaction score
346
I went to ask this team pixel rep at singtel shop.
He told me the repair is at Starhub service centre. Don’t need to go through telco.

I didn’t really notice the tint at the demo set at Bugis singtel shop.

The easiest way to see the tint is to open new incognito tab in chrome like what some people at reddit thread mentioned. You will see either the top or bottom look reddish grey if there is a tint on the unit.
 

Alexz_Hong

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
6,922
Reaction score
675
I went to ask this team pixel rep at singtel shop.
He told me the repair is at Starhub service centre. Don’t need to go through telco.

I didn’t really notice the tint at the demo set at Bugis singtel shop.

This is from Starhub FAQ:
"Google's Authorised Service Centre, CTDI Singapore at Aperia Mall, 12 Kallang Avenue #03-03, Singapore 339511. It is opened from Monday - Friday from 11am to 8pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm, closed on Sunday and Public Holiday."

Saw a few more thread on r/googlepixel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9pr4hy/pixel_3_screen_is_awful

rupFGux.jpg


this is how the wallpaper is supposed to look according to the poster.

zuxxm11.png


https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9pr3fr/pixel_3_rma_process

This could be a batch issue of course which i'm not sure is a good or bad thing. Like i've not seen any reviewers mention this, so maybe the first batch was fine. This only started popping up after customers in US received their devices. maybe it's limited to a particular batch only. Still doesn't inspire confidence, but there is some hope that this is something Google could do better.

At this point my excitement for the new Pixel 3 (a phone that I was planning to use as my daily phone) has dropped drastically. :s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top