4k UHD players discussion thread

Amon86

Master Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
1,619
Just curious why not settle for 1080p than 4K since your contents
are in 1080p?
Are you using a AV receiver or a surround processor with your blu ray player?

As in my coy, certain venues usually we use a normal blu ray
player from Sony than it is connected to a surround processor.
However it is not all places have such setup due to cost so small rooms usually we use a HDMI converter so can connect to mixer and etc.

It's very rare to find a Blu ray player with XLR except Oppo, Cambridge which even AV industry don't use due to the high cost.

My new setup that i plan upcoming will be using 205 hdmi out for visual which is to 360es,205's another hdmi out audio to av receiver ,my mac mini or ps4 pro will go 205's hdmi in....sometimes my concert only 2.1 so that's y xlr comes along 205's xlr back will output to my power amp which drive my front 2 channel....next time i upgrade to SR8012 will connect my projector to there as for now my av receiver no HDCP2.2 hdmi port but i don't think i will connect my projector directly to sr8012 as 205 image quality is more superior....sr8012 is for the atmos sound and better sound quality as i notice they use copper chassis and toroidal transformer compare to last time
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,463
Reaction score
6,011
My new setup that i plan upcoming will be using 205 hdmi out for visual which is to 360es,205's another hdmi out audio to av receiver ,my mac mini or ps4 pro will go 205's hdmi in....sometimes my concert only 2.1 so that's y xlr comes along 205's xlr back will output to my power amp which drive my front 2 channel....next time i upgrade to SR8012 will connect my projector to there as for now my av receiver no HDCP2.2 hdmi port but i don't think i will connect my projector directly to sr8012 as 205 image quality is more superior....sr8012 is for the atmos sound and better sound quality as i notice they use copper chassis and toroidal transformer compare to last time

Interesting setup.
Something I might not touch on. :s13:
 

Amon86

Master Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
1,619
Interesting setup.
Something I might not touch on. :s13:

Is best not to or you will end up like me always thinking of upgrading things lol I also thinking of upgrading my sub to Fathom f112v2 cause of bigger picture image once projector is up....give my current sub to my LS50 which lack of one....

The image from Oppo 105D taken from my 1080p tv look at the hair lines if swap to ps4 doesn't have this kinda details shown
lmAFWoA.jpg
 
Last edited:

petetherock

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
10,216
Reaction score
1,141
I have a sizeable collection of discs and I think it will cost a small fortune to do so, so I have to be selective.
Websites like 4k or not do help, as not every disc actually benefits from 4k as their DI is sometimes only 2k.
Of course additional features like HDR and DV help, but there is a price delta of up to $10 per disc between the BR and 4k version..
So I guess for me, I will keep most of my discs as is, and rely on the wonderful upscaling function of my TV :)


How about you?
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,463
Reaction score
6,011
I have a sizeable collection of discs and I think it will cost a small fortune to do so, so I have to be selective.
Websites like 4k or not do help, as not every disc actually benefits from 4k as their DI is sometimes only 2k.
Of course additional features like HDR and DV help, but there is a price delta of up to $10 per disc between the BR and 4k version..
So I guess for me, I will keep most of my discs as is, and rely on the wonderful upscaling function of my TV :)


How about you?

Now I just rent blu ray disc from Rida.
I only buy those which I are worth to keep.
For me 4K UHD disc are great but they lack special feature like making and sometimes spoiler.
Yes not all movie are in native 4K.
Worse is those from VHS era to blu ray like the very first Jurassic Park.
You can tell those are somehow remaster in Full HD.
The color, resolution don't transit well with modern TV.
Next I want to try Star wars trilogy on blu ray. Wonder how will did they remaster it from VHS to blu ray.
Current interesting project.
Website or streaming sites they don't deliver.
Especially on sound, blu ray supports lossless surround format which completes the overall experience.
 
Last edited:

Amon86

Master Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
1,619
I have a sizeable collection of discs and I think it will cost a small fortune to do so, so I have to be selective.
Websites like 4k or not do help, as not every disc actually benefits from 4k as their DI is sometimes only 2k.
Of course additional features like HDR and DV help, but there is a price delta of up to $10 per disc between the BR and 4k version..
So I guess for me, I will keep most of my discs as is, and rely on the wonderful upscaling function of my TV :)


How about you?

I would still buy 1080p blu-ray disc due to concert that releasing out are still using that format no choice but to leave player to do upscaling but I will still buy UHD bluray contents like Planet Earth 2 to test my upcoming projector and 205 capability as that film were shot in native 4k....for movies not much the upcoming The Maze runner were only shot in 3.4K heard from sources....
 

moron+genius

Senior Member
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
1,340
Reaction score
18
I would still buy 1080p blu-ray disc due to concert that releasing out are still using that format no choice but to leave player to do upscaling but I will still buy UHD bluray contents like Planet Earth 2 to test my upcoming projector and 205 capability as that film were shot in native 4k....for movies not much the upcoming The Maze runner were only shot in 3.4K heard from sources....
Can test using Sicario UHD disk. Very good PQ imo.
 

Amon86

Master Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
1,619
Can test using Sicario UHD disk. Very good PQ imo.

I see...i don't really like that movie actually got it on bluray sold it away after watching it.....I would wait for the UHD of tomb raider reboot version to release that i didn't catch that in cinema
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,463
Reaction score
6,011
So far movies that I feel can let your TV shine are:
- Zootopia
Yes 1080p but the sound and picture are really good
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Thor rangarok
The soundtrack is very beefy, literally can stress your sound system
for any distortion.

Usually for me animated movies can showcase TV color spectrum.
Disney disc usually have a TV optimization tool inside.
Take note I have not tap on 4K UHD disc yet cuz I am
still waiting for Sony X700.
 

Amon86

Master Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
1,619
I will test it out when my 205 and projector arrive in june as my motorize screen takes some time to arrive.....there is UHD bluray black panther upcoming release on 15 May
 

winningeleven

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2017
Messages
10,902
Reaction score
3,986
Quite a few of us have bought the x800 off amazon and used it without a transformer..

My x800 sony uhd also got it from amazon. I have connected thru a step down transformer Since the 1st day i used . Today i was arranging the wire and cables and after that end up i couldnt power on back the x800. Try different power supply point with the step down transformer also no use. I suspected might be the transformer and So i took the risk and hook up directly without the step down and it still work safety!
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top