5GbE and beyond ethernet adapters

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
with so many reviews for aqc113 saying it heats up and it goes down
wont usb4 be more stable?

i have both pcie g4 and usb4 free so i can pick either
hope to get just 1 with less troubleshooting

I am not so sure what you mean by saying USB4 is better. Basically all the cheaper USB4/TB4 10G NICs I know of are based on Marvel AQC107 and AQC113 chipset. AQC113 chipset is bettet than AQC107 since it generates less heat. There are of course some other models based on higher end Intel X550 or Intel X710 chipset (hotter but more powerful, some with dual 10G ports, RJ45 or SFP+).

Usually you do not have choices for a laptop or a Mac computer (Mac Mini or Mac Laptop). Same for many mini PCs.
1) You have to go for USB4/TB4/TB3 type, or worse case the new RTL8159 based USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 10G NIC.
2) If you only have USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps USB port, then you can get the 5Gbe or 2.5Gbe USB NICs.
3) If you only have 5Gbps USB 3.2 Gen 1 port, then you can get the 5Gbe or 2.5Gbe/1Gbe USB NICs.

For desktop with spare PCIe 2.0/3.0/4.0 slot, then you have more choices (Intel/Marvell/RealTek/Nvidia/etc). This includes Mini PCs with spare PCIe slot, Mini PCIe slot or M2 NVME slot.

1) PCIe 4.0 x 1 slot --> you may be able to use the new Realtek 8159 10G NIC.
2) PCIe 3.0/4.0 x 4 -> you may be able to use things like Intel X550 chipset (PCIe 3.0 x 4) and AQC113. There are other chipsets as well.
3) PCIe 2.0/3.0/4.0 x 8 or x16 slot --> you may be able to many chipsets like Intel X540 (PCIe 2.0x8) and Intel X520 (PCIe 2.0x8). There are other chipsets as well.
 
Last edited:

kickass22

Senior Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
609
Reaction score
264
Please do not direct @ me for the initial technical question next time. Such question will be ignored. Thanks.

You may have to state your Laptop model and specifications to see if it really have USB4 or TB4 ports.

And if NO USB4/TB4 ports, does the laptop have USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps) or just USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (10Gbps)? Or even worse, only USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (5Gbps)?

What is your budget?
My apologies, I didn't know. 🙏

I have an old laptop Acer Aspire F-15 with USB 3.1

I am also looking to get a basic laptop for all my personal needs like video editing , streaming, uploading / downloading of videos etc... What should I look for in the laptop?

Thank you for your advice and my apologies for the addressing you directly.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
My apologies, I didn't know. 🙏

I have an old laptop Acer Aspire F-15 with USB 3.1

I am also looking to get a basic laptop for all my personal needs like video editing , streaming, uploading / downloading of videos etc... What should I look for in the laptop?

Thank you for your advice and my apologies for the addressing you directly.

Google shows Acer F-15 F573 series with only USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (5Gbps). in that case, you may want to get USB 3 to 2.5Gbe network card. There are many choices like Ugreen.

For new laptop recomendation, please go to the following thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forums/notebook-clinic.77/

I am not into gaming or video editing myself. So our current two main laptops at home are Acer Swift Go 14 2024 model (Intel Core Ultra 5 125H CPU, 16GB/1TB model) which have two USB4/TB4 ports. My older Acer Swift 3 laptop 2021 model (Intel Core i5-1135G7 CPU, 16GB/512GB model) also has one USB 4/TB4 port. All are kind of thin and light type, not suitable for gaming or video editing.
 

kickass22

Senior Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
609
Reaction score
264
Google shows Acer F-15 F573 series with only USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (5Gbps). in that case, you may want to get USB 3 to 2.5Gbe network card. There are many choices like Ugreen.

For new laptop recomendation, please go to the following thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/forums/notebook-clinic.77/

I am not into gaming or video editing myself. So our current two main laptops at home are Acer Swift Go 14 2024 model (Intel Core Ultra 5 125H CPU, 16GB/1TB model) which have two USB4/TB4 ports. My older Acer Swift 3 laptop 2021 model (Intel Core i5-1135G7 CPU, 16GB/512GB model) also has one USB 4/TB4 port. All are kind of thin and light type, not suitable for gaming or video editing.
So this (USB 3 to 2.5Gbe network card) supports up to 2.5 only or goes up to 5 Gbps?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
So this (USB 3 to 2.5Gbe network card) supports up to 2.5 only or goes up to 5 Gbps?

2.5Gbps.

USB 3.2 Gen 1 port is only up to 5Gbps, it cannot support 5Gbe USB network interface card. There are overheads so you kind of need to double the speed.

USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps port --> only support 2.5Gbps USB NIC
USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps port --> only support 5Gbps USB NIC
USB 3.2 Gen 3.2 Gen 2x2 20 Gbps port --> now start to support 10Gbps USB NICs (only Realtek 8159 chipset now)
USB4/TB4/TB3 40 Gbps port --> support 10Gbps USB NICs (mainly Marvel AQC107/AQC113 chipset, but can be other chipset as well -- more expensive).
 

kickass22

Senior Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
609
Reaction score
264
2.5Gbps.

USB 3.2 Gen 1 port is only up to 5Gbps, it cannot support 5Gbe USB network interface card. There are overheads so you kind of need to double the speed.

USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps port --> only support 2.5Gbps USB NIC
USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps port --> only support 5Gbps USB NIC
USB 3.2 Gen 3.2 Gen 2x2 20 Gbps port --> now start to support 10Gbps USB NICs (only Realtek 8159 chipset now)
USB4/TB4/TB3 40 Gbps port --> support 10Gbps USB NICs (mainly Marvel AQC107/AQC113 chipset, but can be other chipset as well -- more expensive).
Thanks. Understood. Appreciate it.

Any recommendations for a good adaptor?
 

twist_shout

Master Member
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
3,796
Reaction score
62
anyone has 10Gbe usb c adapter to recommend. 'cheap' and good type. :o

and also a 5Gbe one to intro. thanks!
 

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2001
Messages
6,092
Reaction score
663
I just received my WERO TB3 to 10G adapter today. JHL7440 + AQC113
Perhaps something to do with my setting, I’m quite disappointed with the result.

Speedtest:
Download 35xxmbps / upload 12xx mpbs

Setup:
M1 10G ONT (SPF+) -> Uniquiti UDM Pro Max (SPF+ DAC) -> Hasivo 10G POE switch -> WERO 10G adapter
 

Kei_Li

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
763
Reaction score
4
I was asking in the M1 broadband thread but I'm thinking the question may be more suitable here.

I just signed up the 6gbps plan from M1 and need a 10g PCIe card to utilize the connection, since my MB chipset only support up to 1g.
I initially looked at TP-Link TX401 but it seems some users are having problem with it.

What will be a good alternative? intel X540 or X550? I'm trying not to spend too much on this.

Thanks for any help.
 
Last edited:

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
I just received my WERO TB3 to 10G adapter today. JHL7440 + AQC113
Perhaps something to do with my setting, I’m quite disappointed with the result.

Speedtest:
Download 35xxmbps / upload 12xx mpbs

Setup:
M1 10G ONT (SPF+) -> Uniquiti UDM Pro Max (SPF+ DAC) -> Hasivo 10G POE switch -> WERO 10G adapter

Did you enable the IDS/IPS on the UDM Pro Max? That will limit the performance to about 5Gbps.

Did you have 3rd party Antivirus or other security related application installed? That is usually the issues for Windows users with Marvell AQC107/AQC113C based 10Gbe NICs. Some suers have to uninstall those applications to sort out the issue. Some users have to even reinstall Windows to sort out the issue. Some users are not able to sort out the issue. Of course there are many users who do not have issues.

In general, Marvell AQC107/AQC113C are not good, but you do not have choices when you need to use USB4/TB4/TB3 based 10Gbe network adapters.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
I was asking in the M1 broadband thread but I thinking the question maybe more suitable here.

I just signed up the 6gbps plan from M1 and need a 10g PCIe card to utilize the connection, since my MB chipset only support up to 1g.
I initially looked at TP-Link TX401 but it seems some users are having problem with it.

What will be a good alternative? intel X540 or X550? I'm trying not to spend too much on this.

Thanks for any help.

Not an expert in this area and I can not help you on the specific brand to buy.

1. Still I think Intel X550 is the way to go as Intel X540 is not compatile with 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ed-network-adapter-x550t2/specifications.html

Networking Specifications​

Port Configuration: Dual
Data Rate Per Port: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Connectivity (VT-c): Yes
Speed & Slot Width: 8.0 GT/s, x 4 Lane
Controller: Intel® Ethernet Controller X550

2. Intel also stops the support of Intel X540 under Windows 11 in their newer driver versions.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...igabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

MWkOtX9.png
 

Kei_Li

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
763
Reaction score
4
Not an expert in this area and I can not help you on the specific brand to buy.

1. Still I think Intel X550 is the way to go as Intel X540 is not compatile with 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ed-network-adapter-x550t2/specifications.html

Networking Specifications​

Port Configuration: Dual
Data Rate Per Port: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Connectivity (VT-c): Yes
Speed & Slot Width: 8.0 GT/s, x 4 Lane
Controller: Intel® Ethernet Controller X550

2. Intel also stops the support of Intel X540 under Windows 11 in their newer driver versions.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...igabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Thanks, have turned to Amazon US to get a 10gtek intel X550-T1, can't find any in shopee and amazon.sg
 

guangzong

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,307
Reaction score
213
I got this from Taobao, as the price is lower than AliExpress.

On first use, i feel it is more stable than the Marvell AQC113 i am using. I do have a minor issue - my old motherboard only has a PCI-E 2.0 slot. And since this is a x1 card, the PCI-E 2.0 slot cannot reach the maximum bandwidth of 10 Gbps. I could only reach 3 Gbps on Speedtest.net, most probably because of PCI-E 2.0 x1. No big deal, at least it is more stable than Marvell.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
Now Taobao Die Wu Tmall Flagship got stock of RTL8127 chipset based PCIe 4.0 x 1 10Gbe RJ45 Network Interface Card (DieWu TXA401). This may be a good option for users who only has x1 PCIe 4.0 slot.

Promotion price at RMB 212.04, usual price at RMB 258.

They have RTL8126 chipset based 5Gbe NIC (DieWu TXA307) in the following link as well, at RMB 64.64, usual price at RMB 78.

They also have RTL8125 chipset based 2.5Gbe NIC (DieWu TXA092) in the following link as well, at RMB 30.44 usual price at RMB38.

【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.S50RtE1uqylH32V?tk=NGLD4BwdNHd CZ321 「【新品首发】瑞昱Realtek8127芯片万兆PCIe4.0-1X无盘网卡台式机服务器千兆5G公司网吧PXE网络唤醒WOL10G网卡」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开
 

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2000
Messages
16,588
Reaction score
155
Just to share i using the Realtek 8127 PCIe 10GB RJ45 Ethernet controller i got from PDD China on M1 10Gbs on my Asus mainboard. Can get speed of about 6500Mbs upload and 6900Mbs upload speed.
 

Wataru

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2004
Messages
2,650
Reaction score
111
Just to share i using the Realtek 8127 PCIe 10GB RJ45 Ethernet controller i got from PDD China on M1 10Gbs on my Asus mainboard. Can get speed of about 6500Mbs upload and 6900Mbs upload speed.

Yeah ive tested RTL8127 on my end as well, it is way better than the usual Marvel AQC113C card you can find everywhere

I ran a file transfer test (100GB file) with the RTL8127 vs AQC113C (both from taobao)

At about 60GB to 70GB, the AQC113C will drop down to about 2G or 3G transfer speed ( suspect due to thermal throttling), the RTL8127 maintains 10G transfer speed all the way
 

Kei_Li

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2003
Messages
763
Reaction score
4
Thanks, have turned to Amazon US to get a 10gtek intel X550-T1, can't find any in shopee and amazon.sg
Anyone know where I can buy a reasonably priced single port intel x550? The amazon shop that I tried to buy from for S$145 did not deliver (still missing) and I’m not sure where else sells it without overpricing.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,436
Reaction score
12,349
Anyone know where I can buy a reasonably priced single port intel x550? The amazon shop that I tried to buy from for S$145 did not deliver (still missing) and I’m not sure where else sells it without overpricing.

Taobao?

There are many shops selling cheaper second hand ones. No idea which one is good. The following are new ones from more well-known vendors.

10Gtek Taobao official shop, dual port X550-T2 NIC at RMB935
【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.SgQuUfy1nsjCMgx?tk=Zbob4zAvX5o HU591 「万兆网卡 电口网卡 万兆服务器网卡 intel芯片 Pcie 3.0 10G网卡 单/双口 电口RJ45 X550-T1/T2」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

GRIS single port X550-T1, RMB 680
【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.SgdJXUif7qm0L2P?tk=sM254Aab58z tG-#22>lD 「GRIS PCI-E万兆网卡X550T1台式机X4服务器RJ45网线10G以太网英特尔2口电脑INTEL软路由PXE群晖汇聚海蜘蛛ESXI」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

GRIS dual port X550-T2, RMB 780
【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.SgM94vRTjHxKm4p?tk=S0MB4AaW9e4 HU071 「GRIS PCI-E转POE万兆网卡X550T2视觉采集卡双口10G台式机服务器RJ45以太网英特尔电脑INTEL软路由PXE群晖ESXI」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

XikeStor X550-T2 dual port, RMB 966
【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.SgdDZEgUR0bO194?tk=yDZ64Aafrgu MF287 「兮克2.5G/5G/10G/40G万兆电口光口PCIE内置网卡英特尔X520/X540芯片I226台式机服务器nas可用」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

Diewu X550-T2 dual port, RMB 621
【淘宝】假一赔四 https://e.tb.cn/h.SgMGry0aEtMzGN6?tk=OBUK4AaPOTC HU108 「DIEWU 82575双口英特尔千兆网卡台式机万兆I350 Intel软路由ROS汇聚服务器PCIE POE网卡有线pcie服务器网卡」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top