Advice on Penang

withluck

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
0

Self drove to Penang over the last weekend about 9 hours each way with lots of smoke breaks and meal breaks.

- Use Waze GPS app to drive around Penang. Fantastic map and sort of idiot proof
- There are plenty of road side parking lots in Penang

For parking in Penang island and mainland, you are advised to buy a set of parking coupon in Penang island and mainland. Both locations coupons are managed by different municipal councils. For weekend, some areas still need parking coupons to be displayed on your car dashboard.
 

Leon86

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
491
Reaction score
0
Hi Bro and Sis,

This is my first time going to Penang.I am intent to have a short trip 3 days 2 nights in July.

Purpose of the trip is to visit temples, museum and makan places.

Any recommended hotels?

Is there any recommended driver(Reasonable price)?

I don't drive. Appreciate your kind input.

Have a nice day.

Thank you
 

invisible999

Master Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
3,565
Reaction score
2
Hotel near Goergetown

Hello everybody,

Looking for an advice for our first Penang trip. We are three adults, no kids.

Looking for the following for lodging: would like to pay no more 200-250 MYR per day for lodging for three people/two rooms with all taxes/fees included.

Nothing fancy required, but place must be sunny, clean, with aircon, low/no street noise at night/evening, fresh linens/bedding/towels, no insects. Everything else - room service, pool, 24h party going around - not necessary.

I would really appreciate lodging suggestions based on personal experience in Goergetown.
 

joeey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2001
Messages
8,907
Reaction score
134
Hello everybody,

Looking for an advice for our first Penang trip. We are three adults, no kids.

Looking for the following for lodging: would like to pay no more 200-250 MYR per day for lodging for three people/two rooms with all taxes/fees included.

Nothing fancy required, but place must be sunny, clean, with aircon, low/no street noise at night/evening, fresh linens/bedding/towels, no insects. Everything else - room service, pool, 24h party going around - not necessary.

I would really appreciate lodging suggestions based on personal experience in Goergetown.

Sunway is good
 

ccssgm

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
1,848
Reaction score
0
Hello everybody,

Looking for an advice for our first Penang trip. We are three adults, no kids.

Looking for the following for lodging: would like to pay no more 200-250 MYR per day for lodging for three people/two rooms with all taxes/fees included.

Nothing fancy required, but place must be sunny, clean, with aircon, low/no street noise at night/evening, fresh linens/bedding/towels, no insects. Everything else - room service, pool, 24h party going around - not necessary.

I would really appreciate lodging suggestions based on personal experience in Goergetown.

Evergreen Laurel
 

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Messages
24,805
Reaction score
34
Your budget of 200/250 MYR for 3 people per day, think can stay tune or those 3 stars hotel. Stayed before hotel royal and berjaya, both around 120 for three ppl with breakfast one night :)
 

Bak_Chor_Mee

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
5,426
Reaction score
146
Any fare promotion for the coming May public holiday period? Checked all Tigerair, Jetstar and AirAsia, the 2-way tix all above 300++ :eek::eek:
 

y3kesprit

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
277
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

will be visiting from 1-4 July...

Any advises as to whether I should rent a vehicle for sight-seeing and moving around the place? Is the public transport convenient?

Cause since I am only there for a few days, I am hoping to maximise the time.. If public transport will take up a huge chunk of my time there, I'd rather rent a car...

If recommended to rent a vehicle, anyone has links for car rental websites?
 

withluck

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

will be visiting from 1-4 July...

Any advises as to whether I should rent a vehicle for sight-seeing and moving around the place? Is the public transport convenient?

Cause since I am only there for a few days, I am hoping to maximise the time.. If public transport will take up a huge chunk of my time there, I'd rather rent a car...

If recommended to rent a vehicle, anyone has links for car rental websites?

Rapid Penang buses are available in Penang island and mainland to bring to you all tourist spots in the island. In George Town, you can take free CAT or hop on buses in heritage city site. Some routes may wait up to 1 hour if you miss a Rapid Penang bus. From Weld Quey to Air Hitam, Rapid Penang may take 1 hour plus compare to 30 minutes self drive. Hope this helps.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Hi everyone,

will be visiting from 1-4 July...

Any advises as to whether I should rent a vehicle for sight-seeing and moving around the place? Is the public transport convenient?

Cause since I am only there for a few days, I am hoping to maximise the time.. If public transport will take up a huge chunk of my time there, I'd rather rent a car...

If recommended to rent a vehicle, anyone has links for car rental websites?

it depends on where you are going and what you want to cover.
e.g.
in george town, just take CAT bus which comes every 5 min or so and covers all the major attractions. its free

if you wan to go bath ferringhi, penang rapid goes there every 5 mins too, journey about 45mins, if jam, can be 1 hour + (it will pass by gurney drive)

if you want to go balik pulau, then you need car as the local area bus interval can be like 1 hour 30 mins.

also have to see how many people in your group.

but 1 thing for sure, if u take taxi all the time, then rent car confirm cheaper.
 

Belial

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
951
Reaction score
96
Hi everyone,

will be visiting from 1-4 July...

Any advises as to whether I should rent a vehicle for sight-seeing and moving around the place? Is the public transport convenient?

Cause since I am only there for a few days, I am hoping to maximise the time.. If public transport will take up a huge chunk of my time there, I'd rather rent a car...

If recommended to rent a vehicle, anyone has links for car rental websites?

Budget Car Rental Service, Car Hire, Car Renting, Car for Rent in Penang
i rented an alza from them at rm590, pick up and drop at airport.
 

addict951

High Honorary Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2002
Messages
188,306
Reaction score
20,550
I just left Sunway
Sunway is damn bloody good for the value
I paid S$90 per day per room for 2 persons
Bao morning boofei breakfast
Basically u walk out of hotel nia u eat from morning till night. Till your stomach BURST! :s13:
 

withluck

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
hi any recommend tours and hotel stay for 3d2n for 2 pax 4 star hotel
thank you in adv

You can stay in one of beach hotels likes Golden Sands Resort, Holiday Inn and etc. Visit tropical spice garden, tropical fruits farm, george town unesco heritage city site, penang hill and kek lok si temple. with 3d2n, you should have enough time to cover those places.
 

storm913

Master Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
4,440
Reaction score
136
Are the rapid bus frequet from the Airport to Georgetown?? Thinking of taking bus instead of taxi, but not really sure how. How is the payment of the bus ride anyway?
 

teddy123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Messages
23,593
Reaction score
2,280
Hi,

If I am taking Silkair to Penang Airport, how do I travel to Sunway Hotel? Where do I take the bus or cab? How much does it cost if I am takin bus or cab?

Tia
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
Are the rapid bus frequet from the Airport to Georgetown?? Thinking of taking bus instead of taxi, but not really sure how. How is the payment of the bus ride anyway?

Bus 401E comes every 30 mins, sometimes faster depends on traffic conditions. To go to komtar, ringgit, $2, jetty bus terminal. $2.70. pay cash to driver. no change given

there are other buses like 401, but they loop through the other towns, which can take you quite some time.

Hi,

If I am taking Silkair to Penang Airport, how do I travel to Sunway Hotel? Where do I take the bus or cab? How much does it cost if I am takin bus or cab?

Tia

For bus, take 401E to komtar, change 101 (5 min frequency) stop along Jalan Burma and walk in. no cab at airport unless you wan to go hang around the busstop and wait for sapu (illegal taxi) to approach you. only have airport limo ( basically normal taxi) at fixed price. pay at counter (straight ahead once you exit immigration) then leave building and turn right to see the row of taxis waiting

Bus will be below $3 ringgit, cab will cost u $30-$40 (georgetown). sapu can bargain a bit but what for?


Take note, only 1 bus stop outside airport (exit airport departure, cross 1 small road to other outer road, turn left). Always double confirm with driver direction bus is heading if you are not sure. Towards georgetown always end at Jetty.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top