Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just got the Starmex Sys 4 from Gain City based on this config:
MXY4A28VA, 3xMSYGE10VA,1xMSYGE24VA (24/9/9/9)
according to the sales person, this config can support the 24K BTU and one 9K BTU FCU comfortably at the same time if i am not operating the two FCUs at max (ie super low temp and max fan)
is this correct? or i should upgrade the compressor to 38K BTU instead?
i am comfortable with this arrangement since i find no point wasting electricity turning on 4 FCUs at the same time and I dont see the need either

terumo

Reaction score
To DarthGW,

The compressor max is 30k btu at anytime.
So if you on 24k + 9k = 22k + 8k.
If on 3 units will be 18k + 6k + 6k.
4 units, 15k + 5k + 5k + 5k.
All are estimated values based on full load performance of the compressor.

The fan speed of the indoor unit does not affect as much on the compressor load compared to the temperature which plays a bigger part.

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For insulation, armaflex or kflex better? Got 1 contractor recommend kflex, he said it is better. Any comments?

Cos everyone is using armaflex. Nv hear kflex before

cheongking888

Reaction score
Should be kemflex.

This brand is used by Nat Aire.

If your pipings are exposed type, kemflex is sufficient. But if concealed pipings, better to use Armaflex.

Last edited:

BEWARE

Master Member
Reaction score
To BEWARE,

Will you be using all the 4 units @ the same time?

Most of the time will be 1 living + 2 bedrooms. 3rd bedroom will come in next few years.

Let me put my scenario over. it's a 4 room HDB new flat where i will be knocking down one of the bedroom wall to extend the living room space. this bedroom is bedroom 3. I have an open kitchen as well.

Given the setting, i could configure it as:
- living 24K
- br3 9K
- br2 9K
- MBR 12K.

or

- living 18K
- br3 12k
- br2 9K
- MBR 12K.

Either way, base on FCU rated spec, any brand will not allow me to on living + br3 + MBR at the same time.

Ok now, my question which i got different answers for different people is when i look at the spec, shuold i be looking at max capacity to configure or rated? i understand the rated is meant for NEA label but to what extend i could use the max capacity as a guideline to plan?

If by rated, i can only go for 2 systems. if by max, i could possible opt for Mit 4A38 or Daiikin MKS100 or Toshiba 5M41.

Can help to correct my understanding please?

kaysee

Reaction score
Seems like most people here tend to go for Daikin and Mitsuibishi brand Aircon. Anybody has comments for LG brand air con? Seems like their price is slightly lower than mitsuibishi.

terumo

Reaction score
To BEWARE,

All brands will allow you to on all 4 units at any one time. No issues about this, just that the total btu capacity will be limited to the max btu rating of the compressor.

So if you use all 4 at the same time often, best to get the higher powered 40k btu compressor, if not, the 30k will serve you just as well if max you on 2 - 3 units at one time.

You should be looking at the max capacity instead of the rated capacity.

BEWARE

Master Member
Reaction score
To BEWARE,

All brands will allow you to on all 4 units at any one time. No issues about this, just that the total btu capacity will be limited to the max btu rating of the compressor.

So if you use all 4 at the same time often, best to get the higher powered 40k btu compressor, if not, the 30k will serve you just as well if max you on 2 - 3 units at one time.

You should be looking at the max capacity instead of the rated capacity.

Thanks terumo. This is very helpful. I was reading up the datasheet and noticed that cu will allocate a predefined value to a certain set of configuration.

For example taking York CU YCHMYC028 with 12K + 18K configuration. The total FCU BTU with this config is 30K while the CU output only 26.7K when the max is suppose to be at 31k. Looking further datasheet, as this is a system 4 CU, only when utilizing all 4 FCU, will push the CU to the limit. Any idea why is this so? I mean, why cant the CU just allocate the max possible to any config?

Another question would be room sizing. I have been to Daikin proshop and check out my floor plan. Say one of the area is 322sqft which is rectangular in shape with a height of 2.65m. I was told i need a 22.xK BTU FCU. when i check out most of the website, it states i would need merely 12K or less. Adding more people (600BTU/pax) or adding on the kitchen area (which i need to as i have hacked down the wall) will still stay well below that 22K suggested.

Base on your knowledge, how can i best judge and size it correctly with the fact that sometimes there will be open and close doors, sometime between 6 to 12 pax, north-facing hence, considered normal, etc.

Pardon me for my long message as i believe im very near to buying the correct Cu capacity and correctly size my flat up for proper configuration.

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advice, for me, heavy user, 3 bed room on every night and living room occasionally.

I decided to go with ME system 4 for my new house. 2 ticks 4A38VA compressor and 9k for 2 bedroom and 12k for master and 18k for living. One of my Aircon guy quoted me $4.4k for armaflex class 0 1/2" insulation, 22SWG copper pipes, 16mm drainage pipes, keystone cables and 2 trip install, which I find, is reasonable.

Then when I ask him how much for the 5 ticks 4G38VA version same btu config (FJ series) for rooms, he like very reluctant to quote me, and just tell me $6500 for the 5 tick version which is think is BS and he just anyhow pluck number from thin air one.. why ah? 2 tick profit margin higher issit?

terumo

Reaction score
To BEWARE,

For the area mentioned, 18k btu should be sufficient, but to be on the safe side, you can take 22k btu.
No harm to upsize one level up for BTU.
It actually makes it more efficient (saves energy) and cools down the area much faster.

For example taking York CU YCHMYC028 with 12K + 18K configuration. The total FCU BTU with this config is 30K while the CU output only 26.7K when the max is suppose to be at 31k. Looking further datasheet, as this is a system 4 CU, only when utilizing all 4 FCU, will push the CU to the limit. Any idea why is this so? I mean, why cant the CU just allocate the max possible to any config?
The data sheet is based on nominal rating, thus you can just take that as a guideline will do.

terumo

Reaction score
To MoDiE,

The 4a38 is useful if you use all 4 units at the same time, if only 3 rooms are used most of the time together, 4a28 (30k btu) will serve you well enough.

$4.4k is reasonable, though a bit on the high side (my own views)

cheongking888

Reaction score
I went to gain city, and I asked about their workmanship.. esp. if they will squeeze 2 copper pipes into one insulation.. the salesman said they will squeeze both the liquid and gas copper pipes into one insulation and that this is the standard practice. Is this true???

Two cu pipes into one insulation is usually at the FCU. Thereafter is usually one to one unless the trunking is too small to accommodate then they will squeeze 2 into 1.

My office partitions are too narrow. Hence no choice, 2 into 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.