Air purifier? - Part 2

zacky1223

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2011
Messages
1,854
Reaction score
50
need additional layer of activated charcoal filter to absorb the smell. Just the HEPA filter alone won't help (much). so you need to check the spec of the purifier to make sure its filter has that integrated charcoal filter layer.

(sorry if you looking for recommendation on specific brand/model, I will leave it to others. I am using Samsung/LG purifiers that I bought in 2015 so can't recommend the latest models)

I see ok noted on this. Thanks for the help. Hope the rest can help recommend me a brand that can at least reduce the smell. ;)
 

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2007
Messages
3,746
Reaction score
193
Anyone try IQAir Healthpro series? How is it? Does it really help with asthma and allergies ?

Saw this product when I saw an article about asthma from the facebook page : Supratechnic.IQAir.Singapore


I'm not sure whether this product will help. It seems good when saw the video of the Founder personally test the product, quite amazing of the outcome! Also saw from their articles that hospitals use that to prevent sars and covid-19...they wrote they are No 1 prevent Asthma n medical grade Swiss product that prevent asthma, allergies..want to find out more if you guys have bought it:)

Yes I bought this during the haze period. About 5-7yrs back...still working very well as of now..in terms of air purifying qualities, I would yes...it works well and totally suck up all the hazy Smokey smell... not very sure whether this works for asthma/allergies and how to test it unless someone in the house has this condition and it improves after you get it...

I also can confirm the fact that it is used in hospital (SGH) due to an unfortunate incident that I visit my family member while he was hospitalised. It was installed in every ward I went pass...if it’s good for patients in Hospitals, it’s good enough for home use...I Guess...
 

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
7,943
Reaction score
317
I cant seem to find 2S in both xiaomi sg site n lazada xiaomi official store. does that mean this is no more selling? only can by though other online platform like qoo10 and shopee??
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,308
Reaction score
99
This post was so long ago. :s22: I’m referring to that particular online shop that he/she has bought from.

How to know will be honoured by XiaoMi shop? Buy from XiaoMi retail store instead? ;)

Frankly if I bought from online, and the pricing was much lower than official retail stores, I don’t expect to have local warranty directly from XiaoMi store here. Cos most likely are export sets. Have or not, I don’t know. Never try servicing before. Touch wood. So far, those that I bought haven’t spoil yet.

At least that’s my own expectation la.

wa how to know if the item will be hounered by xiaomi shop?
 
Last edited:

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
7,943
Reaction score
317
This post was so long ago. :s22: I’m referring to that particular online shop that he/she has bought from.

How to know will be honoured by XiaoMi shop? Buy from XiaoMi retail store instead? ;)

Frankly if I bought from online, and the pricing was much lower than official retail stores, I don’t expect to have local warranty directly from XiaoMi store here. Cos most likely are export sets. Have or not, I don’t know. Never try servicing before. Touch wood. So far, those that I bought haven’t spoil yet.

At least that’s my own expectation la.

im searching for purifier and was catching up on this thread ma...
just called xiaomi store. no more 2S. no wonder i cant find on xiaomi site liao. The store ppl say filter is 49sgd, those 25sgd online de is imitation good n not adviseable to buy. but then he told no rfid cannot use, i remember got ppl say online still can use..
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,308
Reaction score
99
Online got sell filters with RFID, less than $49. Now dunno pricing. Quite long no see already.

Without RFID still can use, not totally cannot use, just that will appear the use original filter display. At least for my Pro AP.


im searching for purifier and was catching up on this thread ma...
just called xiaomi store. no more 2S. no wonder i cant find on xiaomi site liao. The store ppl say filter is 49sgd, those 25sgd online de is imitation good n not adviseable to buy. but then he told no rfid cannot use, i remember got ppl say online still can use..
 

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
7,943
Reaction score
317
Online got sell filters with RFID, less than $49. Now dunno pricing. Quite long no see already.

Without RFID still can use, not totally cannot use, just that will appear the use original filter display. At least for my Pro AP.

ok thanks.
 

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2010
Messages
12,143
Reaction score
122
Xiaomi air purifier pro good a not now sale 199 only? Got new model 3h they say use real hepa filter
 

destiny38

Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
325
Reaction score
6
Bought the Xiaomi 3H recently. Found it has an audible whine with any speed setting above LOW. Anyone experiencing the same thing or do I have a lemon? Compared to AX40 at high speed, only hear louder wind noise and no whine.
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
Bought the Xiaomi 3H recently. Found it has an audible whine with any speed setting above LOW. Anyone experiencing the same thing or do I have a lemon? Compared to AX40 at high speed, only hear louder wind noise and no whine.

Hmm.....seems like it. I might be in the market for a new AP and considering to get XM now.

I had purchased one Xiaomi ver 2 for someone before and played with it for about 30 mins and didn't notice that.


Searched on youtube and noticed that your comment might be true.


Check this, it's a very low level whine on top of the wind noise.

The other unit that i have heard some complained about a whining noise is that small one from Hitachi.
ie this one
ip157904_00.jpg






I also have a Mfresh M8088 (2015 haze time, cannot hiam a S$190 unit then with 570 m3/hr capability and a filter that is 2X the surface area of Xiaomi) which has a very very slight whining noise in speed 2. The only good thing is that regular normal use i switch it to Speed 1 due to noise.......simply coz I operate 3 APs in my MBR (AX40, Sharp KC-840 and this Mfresh). In fact nowadays i don't even switch it on coz the ACH of the AX40 (full speed) + Sharp (medium speed) is already over 5 ACH.


Check the whine out in the below video when powering up and then powering down in fan speed........ not sure if it is also legit on other units.

So is the whine still around now?





Same here, the whine. A bit difficult to capture on the mic in fan speed 2 but it might be there (same as my Mfresh M8088A video below, it is also there in speed 2).

 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
Maybe just need to get a AX40 again (my 4th one). But carousell no $50-60 units. :s22:

Good thing is that the filters are cheap from Taobao. I just got another 6 DIY HEPAs (we burn through them around 6pcs every year on the LG PSR-459 and Samsung AX40s at my place and my parents), a bit more expensive nowadays ($3 per 0.5kg) but 6pcs with the box is just 1.5x kg.
Sea shipping is slow and seriously not that much cheaper due to volumetric weight calcu.

I'd estimate that 2 of the DIY HEPAs (really H11s) would last around 1pc of the Xiaomi....but filter cost would still be cheaper than the Xiaomi. But just itchy to try Xiaomi lah..........
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
You can really hear that whine at say around 8:40 mins mark. :eek:

I'm very familiar with such whine, coz my Mfresh M8088A also has it.

Seems like some "digital" PMW signal used as voltage control that is sent to the motor to vary the speed, instead of just using good old analogue? Then racking up some resonance or something.
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
Bought the Xiaomi 3H recently. Found it has an audible whine with any speed setting above LOW. Anyone experiencing the same thing or do I have a lemon? Compared to AX40 at high speed, only hear louder wind noise and no whine.

Ok, confirm got whine issue at certain speeds. Same as my Mfresh M8088A.


 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
My Mfresh M8088A ah tiong AP whine noise test.

The video doesnt capture it too well (not sure if it's coz of automatic mic level compensation) but in level 1 the whine is super low level, if you are 2 metres away there is no issue.

But level 2 speed the whine noise is very very mildly detectable at night when sleeping, but not too much of an issue due to additional white noise from the Sharp and Samsung AX40 and aircon @ high fan speed. But still, it is still mildly detectable and audible in the background, so that is why i put it in speed level 1, which would be undetectable.

Speed 3 is for PSI 200 and above. :D
Rocket speed 4 is only for initial clearing of the room/house of haze.







That time when i had the M8088A and also Xiaomi 2 in the house.

O2Cm0cq.jpg
 
Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
Xiaomi air purifier pro good a not now sale 199 only? Got new model 3h they say use real hepa filter

Don't worry about H12 and H13 "True HEPA". H12 would work just as well @ 0.3 microns MPPS.

What you shd worry about is the CADR.


See below, is version 2, H12 filter. Propylene glycol, from google, the size distribution ranges from 0.172 to 1 micron, with a mean at 0.55 microns. Absolutely no issue for the haze PM size distribution we get here in SG (I posted the data before).



 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
This is the Sharp H13 HEPA filter. It'd work at 0.1 microns as well. Of coz vs that particular Dyson AP by % wise it is filtering less 0.1 microns UFP / ultra fine particles.
I have touched the Dyson filter before when they were displaying it in retail stores and pushing the Dyson AP cum fan units (damn ex also), seems to be a very fluffy ultrafine kinda microfibre construction, not unlike the ULPA U15-17 filters.

However, do understand what is CADR. The Dyson only has a CADR of like....what, 90-120 m3/hr? You just do the math on airflow m3/hr times the % to get CADR.
Not rocket science.




01xwNPn.jpg


Mi98lJd.jpg


TnR4LU9.jpg


5KRtfpC.jpg


ZkQsGJM.jpg


r8PmUpz.jpg
 

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2001
Messages
95,473
Reaction score
11,648
Saw some pax selling AX40s on carousell for $75. I guess $60 still doable.
You can pick such things up for low costs is coz the owners do not know how to get replacement filters.


But there is some elbow grease involved, you gotta unscrew the unit and clean the internal of the unit......the blower wheel won't be that dusty but you still need to unscrew that out and give it a rinse. All surfaces need to be wiped down with isopropanol, you will get rid of the smell that way too.


The Samsung AX40 is a work horse. Some of you might come across some electronic issue (some flashing lights and cannot power on), but there is a reset procedure that you can do.......it's documented in this part 2 or part 1 thread. Anyway i never kena that flashing light issue for my 3pcs of AX40.

For filters, i just go for 300x300 x 25mm HEPA filters that go for $5 - 6, pay a little shipping and there i go. Each year change filters 2X, no issue.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top