Air purifier? - Part 2

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
87
Just curious. When u say results show that sqair is better than your xm, may I know are u running your xm on auto mode and compare or at manual mode relatively similar to your current sqair speed?

Auto mode to me is literally useless. And is not really a fair comparison. If u r running at manual mode and compare, then is v good.

How many consumers are willing to pay for an industrial-grade air monitoring device? To me this is the next best thing, there is nothing wrong with the tester and I am satisfied with the readings.

I have the opportunity to make the comparison between XM and Sqair because I own both APs at home and my results show that Sqair is better. Unless you have bought a Sqair or any Smartair products at home to perform a fair comparison, whatever you had commented on are just your bias view.
 

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Just curious. When u say results show that sqair is better than your xm, may I know are u running your xm on auto mode and compare or at manual mode relatively similar to your current sqair speed?

Auto mode to me is literally useless. And is not really a fair comparison. If u r running at manual mode and compare, then is v good.

For a fair comparison, I tested both AP on manual mode (highest speed) individually in a sealed room after ventilation. The air measured must be identical before the AP was operated and then the air measured.
 
Last edited:

mindgamey

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
1,247
Reaction score
150
what is rebadge APs?

I saw somewhere in this thread that someone managed to dig out a TB seller or factory selling AP that looks exactly the same Novita minus the logo and some fancy image.

See here, you can dig further to see more illustrations. A lot of local companies are just doing rebadged product. *coughs... Secreeeee.....

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/96254009-post4937.html

I'll stick with reputable brands like Philips, Sharp, Samsung who has done proper engineering rather than rebadging products.

If you want IOT or cost effectiveness, XM is no horse run, replacement filters at 1/3 the price of those above (unless you game to try TB OEM filters). Remember, AP gonna last you years and you must be able to source replacement filters. I have trouble finding my old KC50 filters and have to find OEMs one.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
87
Interesting. Thank you for sharing. :)

For a fair comparison, I tested both AP on manual mode (highest speed) individually in a sealed room after ventilation. The air measured must be identical before the AP was operated and then the air measured.
 

mindgamey

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
1,247
Reaction score
150
It is on the list of NEA approved AP. If you want to support local, then why not get it?

https://www.haze.gov.sg/resources/portable-air-cleaners/list-of-portable-air-cleaners-for-smoke-haze-and-suppliers

I was surprised that NEA has AP approval because I know they always throw it out to testing house to do such stuffs (ie Engine emission testing) until:

"Disclaimer: Any posting shown in the listing does not constitute or imply any endorsement or affirmation by NEA of its merits, nor any affiliation, relationship or sponsorship by NEA of the company in the listing. NEA will not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever arising from or incidental to any use of products/services of the company in the listing by the public."

Please read properly
 
Last edited:

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
87
Sqair particulate CADR n noise
level 1 65m3/h (should be very quiet)
level 2 180m3/h (this depends on individual)
level 3 315m3/h ( i presume this will be noisy)

Since sqair comment is so good here (but I still have my own reservation), I probably may go get try and compare with my xm pro, but I dun expect it will win xm pro. Just curious how good sqair will be in my daily environment scenario. Whether will it suit my liking.

While I’m standing, raising my hand, at the tip of my hand I still can feel the wind blowing from my xm pro. I not a short guy. And that’s not even anywhere near the max manual speed. Manual Setting is at 20-34m2 (for all my bedrooms), not referring to the living hall.

My xm pro sound is not obvious at my manual speed (for my ears) ... at least is quieter (less noticeable) than my fan. Gen1, Gen2 I dun really like, in terms of the “sound” for my case. I don’t based on noise level dB on paper. Maybe is the frequency. That’s one of the reason why I have sold them off / given away last time, including other brands that I used to have ... all change to only Pro for different various reasons. Not saying they are not good, just doesn’t really suit my liking.

Coming back to sqair...
Sqair level 1 room size cleaned in 20 mins is 9m2, level 2 is 25m2, level 3 is 43m2. If using a carbon filter in sqair, performance will vary tho’. At least that’s what stated on manual.

Would be interesting to compare my xm pro and sqair how much difference for my own preference only. Not saying is a good comparison. A better comparison should be xm2 and sqair.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
Sqair particulate CADR n noise
level 1 65m3/h (should be very quiet)
level 2 180m3/h (this depends on individual)
level 3 315m3/h ( i presume this will be noisy)

Since sqair comment is so good here (but I still have my own reservation), I probably may go get try and compare with my xm pro, but I dun expect it will win xm pro. Just curious how good sqair will be in my daily environment scenario. Whether will it suit my liking.

While I’m standing, raising my hand, at the tip of my hand I still can feel the wind blowing from my xm pro. I not a short guy. And that’s not even anywhere near the max manual speed. Manual Setting is at 20-34m2 (for all my bedrooms), not referring to the living hall.

My xm pro sound is not obvious at my manual speed (for my ears) ... at least is quieter (less noticeable) than my fan. Gen1, Gen2 I dun really like, in terms of the “sound” for my case. I don’t based on noise level dB on paper. Maybe is the frequency. That’s one of the reason why I have sold them off / given away last time, including other brands that I used to have ... all change to only Pro for different various reasons. Not saying they are not good, just doesn’t really suit my liking.

Coming back to sqair...
Sqair level 1 room size cleaned in 20 mins is 9m2, level 2 is 25m2, level 3 is 43m2. If using a carbon filter in sqair, performance will vary tho’. At least that’s what stated on manual.

Would be interesting to compare my xm pro and sqair how much difference for my own preference only. Not saying is a good comparison. A better comparison should be xm2 and sqair.

Great write up! Personally, I feel a better comparison for XM pro will be their blast series. Based on the specifications, their filters will last between 13 to 22 months and coverage from 80sqm to 130sqm. However, Blast series might be kinda overkill for a typical HDB home, but maybe might suit EA, EM or Jumbo flats.
 

Lucky177

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
87
I won’t buy blast. If u notice, their listing of the blast filter on shopee is oos despite listed 4 months ago.

Saw a YouTube on blast. The blast opening at the back where there’s a pre filter is comparatively small. Edit: I think that’s outlet instead of inlet. Anyway not interested, didn’t explore.

At that pricing, I rather get xm pro H instead.

Great write up! Personally, I feel a better comparison for XM pro will be their blast series. Based on the specifications, their filters will last between 13 to 22 months and coverage from 80sqm to 130sqm. However, Blast series might be kinda overkill for a typical HDB home, but maybe might suit EA, EM or Jumbo flats.
 
Last edited:

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
I won’t buy blast. If u notice, their listing of the blast filter on shopee is oos despite listed 4 months ago.

Saw a YouTube on blast. The blast opening at the back is small. I not sure if that’s the only opening (inlet)..

At that pricing, I rather get xm pro H instead.

Agree. Probably Blast is not that popular here in Sg? XM pro would be a better option.
 

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
10,410
Reaction score
100

herz22

Junior Member
Joined
May 28, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
I am already using it for a year. Just wondering if anyone actually using this for bedroom. Like overkill. Lol. If I'm not wrong this kind typically used in kindergartens/child care centers type.

Based on the CADR it is just nice for a room at Low speed. :)
 

mindgamey

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
1,247
Reaction score
150
I am already using it for a year. Just wondering if anyone actually using this for bedroom. Like overkill. Lol. If I'm not wrong this kind typically used in kindergartens/child care centers type.

It might be overkill for now, but with all the climate change and raising price of CPO due favorable policy from our neighbors, I dont wont be surprised that there will be more deforestation for more plantation. 2017 will come again

The puny 100-200 CADR AP cant do **** for such scenario. At the time I was using my KCA50 gunned at max speed(CADR 300) during awake hours and medium speed(CADR 200) during sleeping hours for 5 straight days non stop.

That is why we advocate work horse brands even though you pray you dont need it.

Also better to have a spare AP around, you dont want to find yourself with a broken down AP during haze season.
 

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
I buy and use liao..

Can check for the filters hor, no need to take out and clean or something right? it can last like couple of months?
or do I have to take out, clean a bit and put back once in awhile?
 

DriftKing

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
2,470
Reaction score
438
I buy and use liao..

Can check for the filters hor, no need to take out and clean or something right? it can last like couple of months?
or do I have to take out, clean a bit and put back once in awhile?
You bought what and use already?

If i assume you bought one with Hepa filter, they are not washable. Some will say if continuous on, or even used before will have to replace every 6 months no matter what for effectiveness.
 

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2003
Messages
71,239
Reaction score
853
Sorry. I meant I bought the sqair and started using it already.

So I don't have to do anything for 6 months then replace it with another right. No maintenance or anything required?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top