Android TV Box

VigilanteX

Reaction score
Your android box is Android box OS or Android phone OS?

I guess not all apps that are available on Android phone OS are available on Android box OS. This makes even very expensive boxes like Nvidia shield pretty much useless.

This is why I have decided to stay with Chromecast and if an app is not Chromecast capable, then I use screencast.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
I tried it on the Mecool customised version of Android. Not the Mecool android TV version. But cannot. The mecool customised version is not tablet/phone android?

pic attached.
W7D48MZ.jpg

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried it on the Mecool customised version of Android. Not the Mecool android TV version. But cannot. The mecool customised version is not tablet/phone android?

pic attached.
W7D48MZ.jpg
It seems to have phone Android. You should be able to install. Maybe you can list down the steps you are following and what error you get, people here could help.

VigilanteX

Reaction score
It seems to have phone Android. You should be able to install. Maybe you can list down the steps you are following and what error you get, people here could help.

Actually, I might have given the wrong impression. After installing toggle, when I open the toggle app, its just stuck at the initial screen. Does not go into the toggle app main menu.
So I guess it is still a failed installation. Even though during installation, I can go through the screen to install and press done. This happened when i tried to install toggle version 3.4.1. early in June. Never tried again after that. Or is it just a problem with that particular version? But fine when I tried it on a android phone.

Last edited:

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
FTP Server / Daemon

hi !

Anyone has installed FTP Server/Daemon on the Box ? I've tried several but I'm facing some problems.
Some servers are read-only. I found one that allows me to create or delete files/folders BUT does NOT allow me to move files from one folder to another.
Is it a limitation for Android that I cannot move files within the box or just the app ?
Thanks.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
hi !

Anyone has installed FTP Server/Daemon on the Box ? I've tried several but I'm facing some problems.
Some servers are read-only. I found one that allows me to create or delete files/folders BUT does NOT allow me to move files from one folder to another.
Is it a limitation for Android that I cannot move files within the box or just the app ?
Thanks.

If you are just moving files around on your TV box why do you need a FTP server app?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Well it's a FTP server. Why not ? Is Android preventing this or just the app ?

It's the limitation of FTP as it is design mainly for downloading files.

If you are using windows to manage the FTP share, FileZilla I believe can do what you require.

If you transfer files often, maybe you should see if there is any app that uses samba (SMB/CIFS)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to use my box like a NAS... not heavy duty.

It is better to set up a samba host on android box, you can do whatever you want - move, copy, delete, play... etc.

By the way, if your router has USB port for harddisk, it is better to connect a harddisk at the router and you can use it as NAS.

For more information about android box, visit the facebook group - "new tv box sg"

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Any Samba Host app to recommend ? Best something that can autostart.
Thanks.

It is better to set up a samba host on android box, you can do whatever you want - move, copy, delete, play... etc.

By the way, if your router has USB port for harddisk, it is better to connect a harddisk at the router and you can use it as NAS.

For more information about android box, visit the facebook group - "new tv box sg"

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any Samba Host app to recommend ? Best something that can autostart.
Thanks.

What type of android box you have? If it comes with USB port then most probably the Samba services (smbd & nmbd) would come with it.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I know how I can turn on these services ? Thanks.

If you have shell access, then do a ps aux|grep smbd to check whether it's running.

Not too sure the script to start/stop samba in android, think it's samba-rc restart

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.